TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

It is speculation from friends who have or currently work in the park, but there has been strong news that Raffi may be trying to dumb down and eliminate Haunt altogether... Hopefully not true, but it's a scary thought to think

^Unless he hates his job, I doubt he is going to do anything to harm the parks biggest revenue generator. Haunt alone equals or exceeds the revenue from the entire first quarter of the year.

It is speculation from friends who have or currently work in the park, but there has been strong news that Raffi may be trying to dumb down and eliminate Haunt altogether... Hopefully not true, but it's a scary thought to think

This is ridiculous for obvious reasons.

"strong news"

^You laugh now... There's a reason Haunt sucked even more last year than previous years... More restrictions in place to really prune that which is his moneymaker. Trust me, I wish it not. But the direction he's taking will essentially kill the event on its own. As they are doing opposite of SFMM with their log ride, they are doing opposite of USH with their Haunt event, and we've already seen where people's preferences lie

^I would love to know your source. Cause this just sounds ludicrus. And, in my honest opinion, HAUNT has been upping their game the last few years. Aside from the log ride theme, I thought last year was one of the best I have been to. And I've gone every year since 1991. CF is in the market to make money, and HAUNT is a cash cow. It makes no sense what you're saying at all. I think your source might just be wanting to stir up trouble.

If they get rid of haunt they could finally build that B&Intamin HYPER GIGA ROCKET LAUNCH MILLENNIA COASTER RAWRRZZZ!!!!!!111111

But seriously, Knotts NEEDS haunt. They're not trying to kill it. That's absolutely silly.

Yeah, this just sounds like BS from someone who's trying to start rumors and stir up trouble. Hell, Haunts are big business all over the Cedar Fair chain.

I don't think Haunt is going anywhere, nor do I think it is being "downgraded". Knott's Berry Farm was the pioneer of the modern haunt event, and they continually improve the event year after year.

I'm not sure if you went to the 40th, but it was the best year the event ever had quality wise. Every maze was trimmed down to remove blank corridors, props were added, Trapped debuted, layouts were reworked etc. They put in quite a sizable investment, and it makes zero sense that they would now go away from everything they've built up.

The only "noticeable" publicly known change the GM made to the Haunt so far was the removal of the alcohol stands throughout the park. That's only to improve the atmosphere.

I still wouldn't mind hearing from the park on the matter. I REALLY doubt that this is true though.

Haunt's 40th was so successful last year. I guess you haven't heard that Trapped sold out just about every night of the event's run. This sounds like an outlandish rumor some employee sprouted just to see how far it would go.

I have a couple of friends/acquaintances that have seen the Haunt makers from time to time. I can promise you that this is not true. They're hard at work to make another awesome year. Like everyone has brought up, why kill the goose that laid the golden egg?

I also thought that Haunt has been improving over the past few years. Saw them to continue to experiment with new shows at least. The one at Mystery Lodge was new to me, and I thought turned out quite well. Even if Timber isn't used for the holiday seasons, there is always the Calico mine for a Haunt or Christmas overlay. Probably better for visitors to see the make-over for a couple of years before going in with seasonal decor. Didn't they skip an overlay for Haunt on Calico last year? Maybe that will come back for this year.

^Yes they did. That was the one thing that Raffi was rumored to have a hand in that "took away" from Haunt. Supposedly he didn't like how the Haunt overlays ruined the show for the daytime guests.

Supposedly he didn't like how the Haunt overlays ruined the show for the daytime guests.

If that's correct, I think that's a logical reason for not doing the overlay, but it's still a bummer that they didn't do it.

Edited by cfc

If they get rid of haunt they could finally build that B&Intamin HYPER GIGA ROCKET LAUNCH MILLENNIA COASTER RAWRRZZZ!!!!!!111111

But seriously, Knotts NEEDS haunt. They're not trying to kill it. That's absolutely silly.

They could run their rides backward with munsters and spell effects

^Yes they did. That was the one thing that Raffi was rumored to have a hand in that "took away" from Haunt. Supposedly he didn't like how the Haunt overlays ruined the show for the daytime guests.

Not entirely Joey. I rode it during the day as well as at night because I had heard rumors that there were small tweaks.

The daytime ride was just the standard Calico Mine Train ride. However, they had a different audio track that they would run during the HAUNT hours. Creepier music, ominous lighting, and lots of weird sound effects, and a documentary like narration during the ride that told a story describing how hundreds of years ago, the miners uncovered a hell hole deep in the Calico mine and released hells inferno upon the town. The townsfolk were somehow able to harness the evil and seal it back into the mine. Several decades later when the Witch arrived, It was rumored that the fine folks of Calico hung the Witch, burned her, and threw her remains down the deepest shaft. But before she died, she cursed the town, and said that she would return and bring all of hell with her. Apparently a recent excavation had in fact uncovered the remains of a human female body who they could not confirm or deny could have been the Witch. Unfortunately during the excavation, they not only uncovered the Witch, they also opened up the hell mouth. And Hell was brought upon Calico again.

This correlated with the new show over in the Mystery Lodge, where a mad scientist used a human sacrifice to bring the newly uncovered hell mouth to life again. Also releasing the Witches spirit as well.

In my honest opinion, without doing a complete overlay, they were able to create an awesome story leaving the Calico Mine Train as is. With only the smallest of changes, and the addition of the Mystery Lodge show, they successfully resurrected the Witch, and gave a cool backstory to the whole HAUNT.

In my opinion, they did a masterful job. And as I said before, 2012 HAUNT was the best in a while and one of the best that I can remember ever.

So, Go Knott's! Keep up the great work. You have a lifetime attendee.

...I actually support this.

I would really like to see GhostRider with a couple backwards cars or (dare I say it) one or two of the cars on Coast Rider turned around.

Too bad it's not going to happen.

In related news, what's the condition of Coast Rider and the two flats?

...I actually support this.

I would really like to see GhostRider with a couple backwards cars or (dare I say it) one or two of the cars on Coast Rider turned around.

Too bad it's not going to happen.

In related news, what's the condition of Coast Rider and the two flats?

Was at the park on Wednesday for a Senior Trip and didn't take any pictures, but Coast Rider was testing later in the day. They had a power surge early in the morning, but it looked like they got it up and running to test later on. Didn't get a chance to look at the flats.

This was taken from Knott's Facebook page, I think it will look great at night with the enhanced lighting package reflecting off the water and its cool kids can enjoy a ride with their parents - what Walt Disney said was his objective with Disneyland.

1aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.jpg.fd3655b5fb950bb9feb578f22ea57c00.jpg