TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

This is a bit off topic, but I have a trip planned next Monday or Tuesday to stop by Knott's. I haven't been there in a while and have a few questions:

• How good of condition is Ghostrider in? I remember it being incredibly rough, but I haven't heard recent talk about it being all that bad, so I might give it another chance to see if it can make it off of my bottom ten. Is it worth the wait and possible headache?
  • I'm definitely going to see if I can nab some construction photos of Coast Rider, but I want to know: Is it against the park rules to do so? I don't want to break any rules.
  • I think next week isn't spring break for Cali, but I want to make sure. I want to prepare for large crowds, so I need to know ahead of time how busy it's going to be.
  • Any new rumors about the dippin' dots guy?

1. Based on my recent rides on GhostRider, it's running good but not great. I'd say if the wait is 15 minutes or less, go for it, and if it is longer come back once you've done the other major attractions. I'd also recommend waiting for the front seat if the line is only a train or two longer as that is the best seat on the ride (in my opinion).

2. As long as you don't go into areas you're not supposed to be in or take your camera on rides where it is forbidden you're not breaking any park rules. There are viewing windows in the fence and there aren't any "no photography" signs around, so it's not like they're trying to keep it a secret.

3. Some colleges begin spring break next week, but most schools are the two weeks after (the week before and after Easter). It might be a little more crowded than usual, but it probably won't be packed. I'd plan for 15-30 minute waits for the major attractions (especially if one train is running), and less on other rides. It's unlikely the park would be more crowded than that, and there's a decent chance it will be less.

4. I don't care for Dippin' Dots so I've never spoken to the Dippin' Dots guy. Perhaps you could report back to us.

While we're on the subject of Coast Rider, does anybody know the hourly capacity for these types of rides (Ricochet or Fly)? I know it isn't much but does anyone know an approximate number?

Ricochet is listed as 960 riders per hour on RCDB, so I'd assume Coast Rider will have a similar theoretical capacity. As for actual capacity, finding it for a wild mouse is easy: hourly capacity=(3600/dispatch interval (seconds)) x 4. For example, if the ride has a 20 second dispatch interval (probably pretty accurate for a wild mouse), the hourly capacity would be (3600/20) x 4, or 720 riders per hour.

Capacity for Coast Rider, I'm gonna say it's going to range anywhere from 300-500 per hour, depending on how many cars are in operation and how efficient the crew is running it. It's not that great, but that's generally how many people Wild Mouse style coasters can handle per hour.
Your standard Wild Mouse running 8 Trains with a Continuous Load Station is 900+ per hour, so depending on how many trains are in the system and dispatch times, I would imagine Coast Rider would have a higher capacity than a run of the mill Wild Mouse.

-Sid

Supports for Coast Rider are now being unloaded into the holding field across the street. There were quite a few trucks and a crane taking them out of the shipping containers, but I didn't see any track yet. That said, vertical construction will start soon.

What color are they?

^I'd understand your comment if Full throttle's supports were white but... They're not. They are Black...

Coast Rider is has orange track in the and white supports in the concept art and so far we have white supports but we'll have to see if the track color will match.

Your standard Wild Mouse running 8 Trains with a Continuous Load Station is 900+ per hour, so depending on how many trains are in the system and dispatch times, I would imagine Coast Rider would have a higher capacity than a run of the mill Wild Mouse.

-Sid

Theoretical capacity is 950pph for this model by Mack. Actual capacity will vary depending on operation, more than likely it's no higher than 600. The people per hour from the manufacturer is never really true. Example I can give is Shivering Timbers, CCI states for that coaster there's a 1200pph capacity. In reality, it hardly ever get that high, maybe 700 during peak hours if the crew runs the coaster well and guests are efficient.

Not many coasters and rides actually hit their manufacturer's capacity due to a lot of factors.

Yellow/orange and white should look pretty good with what's already there. I'm guessing we'll see Coast Rider go vertical and the foundations poured for the flats within the next week or so. This area is going to look really nice when it opens in 2 1/2 months, and will liven up the dullest section of the park. Now all we need is an Xcelerator repaint.

Edited by rcdude

-Sid

Theoretical capacity is 950pph for this model by Mack. Actual capacity will vary depending on operation, more than likely it's no higher than 600. The people per hour from the manufacturer is never really true. Example I can give is Shivering Timbers, CCI states for that coaster there's a 1200pph capacity. In reality, it hardly ever get that high, maybe 700 during peak hours if the crew runs the coaster well and guests are efficient.

Not many coasters and rides actually hit their manufacturer's capacity due to a lot of factors.

I've hit 850 operating Lagoon's Maurer Wild Mouse and 1,199 on Lagoon's Rattlesnake Rapids, an Intamin River Rapids Ride. Capacity for a Maurer Mouse is 900 and Lagoon's River Rapids Ride is 1,200. So rides CAN be operated at or near capacity as stated by the Manufacturer.

-Sid

So does anyone know if Coast Rider have a constant moving platform you load on (like HRRR) or will it completely stop to load? I think if it were to constantly be moving capacity would be much better. Looks like a great family ride but I hope it has at least decent capacity.

My visit to Knott's is approaching surprisingly fast and I have another question I need to ask if I'm going to plan for this thing the right way.

What rides, if any, have maximum height requirements? I'm 6' 6" when standing straight, but I'm about 6' 2" if I slouch enough, so maybe I can get away with some things. The only ride on their website listed as having a maximum height is Riptide (76", I'm 78"), and I honestly wasn't all that excited about that ride anyway. I was kind of worried that they had unlisted ones, because last time I was there, I met a guy in the line for Ghostrider who said he was kicked off some of the rides for being too tall. He was about 6' 8".

^ I have only heard of the one on Rip Tide, but that was second hand info.

But just thinking about the rides there, I cant really think of anything other then riptide that it might be an issue. Maybe Xcelerator if your legs are too long, but that's not height related in what your asking about. Id just call the park and ask, thats the best way to know for sure.