TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

^^It's a ride worth going back in time for. I'm trying hard to remember a coaster I like better than GhostRider when it was new. I haven't gotten on El Toro or The Voyage yet, so I'm limited in terms of experience of great wooden coasters but I'm sure it would rank among those two.

Knott's has been surprising us a lot lately with the refurbishment of old rides. I wouldn't be surprised if we see a topper track treatment along with some new RMC trains in the near future on Ghost Rider. If Ghost Rider does get refurbished, Boomerang got new trains, and we get a new thrilling coaster in the next few years, I would probably prefer Knott's over SFMM.

Knott's updated their ride re-hab schedule showing Windseeker and some other rides:

Rides Closed

Individual rides not listed here occasionally close for mechanical reasons or bad weather

WindSeeker

January 28 - Feb 15

GhostRider

January 7 - May 27

Timber Mountain Log Ride

Knott's updated their ride re-hab schedule showing Windseeker and some other rides:

Rides Closed

Individual rides not listed here occasionally close for mechanical reasons or bad weather

WindSeeker

January 28 - Feb 15

GhostRider

January 7 - May 27

Timber Mountain Log Ride

I remembered Raffi mentioning at WCB last year about getting a new style of trains during WCB to help reduce the roughness. Maybe they're going to do that for this one?

Rides Closed

WindSeeker

January 28 - Feb 15

GhostRider

January 7 - May 27

Timber Mountain Log Ride

I remembered Raffi mentioning at WCB last year about getting a new style of trains during WCB to help reduce the roughness. Maybe they're going to do that for this one?

I would really like to see GhostRider with new trains. Perhaps some Timberliners?

Ghostrider was easily once one of the best coasters in the world. Now, it's easily one of the worst. Such a shame that it's been allowed to deteriorate so much.

dt

Definitely true. Like Robb said, you can tell when you ride it now how much potential there is! I'm really hoping that they can bring it back to how it used to be.

I think Ghostrider during the first Winter Coaster Solace was one of my favorite roller coaster moments ever. Wasn't it foggy or something that night?

I also remember hearing somebody on the train that evening exclaim 'I think I just lost my virginity again' and we were all like wowwww....ok.

But anyway, that coaster was something else when it first got here, and unlike Psyclone, Knotts can't blame an earthquake for messing it up!

Just clarify, I think that every year, Knotts does re-track parts of the ride, but never in such a way that it actually improves the experience, so much as it seems that they re-track it to keep structural integrity in order to keep it from falling apart. I mean I have ridden the ride the day after reopening from a rehab, and you will see the fresh yellow blocks of wood along the track, but it's still not close to the same experience it used to be.

With that said, I'm probably one of the few people who are not bothered by the roughness, but I always go with friends and they will not ride it more then once. Usually they'll flat out say, "That sucked."

I don't think that Ghost Rider needs to be re-profiled in such an extreme fashion. I think the topper track would be a better route. The layout of the track is perfect as is. It's the track itself that causes the problems.

It makes me all giddy inside to think that Cedar Fair is done with their OMG THRILLZ stage at this park. It's nice to see them finally targeting the right audience

I wish Knott's would build an OMG THRILLZ ride sometime. So far in the last decade they built a B&M invert and some EH family coasters. If they got some love like the east coast parks (Diamondback, Intimidator, Gatekeeper) and brought back some of the quality family attractions, they would have a winning park.

^ It's not a matter of "getting some love," Knott's is in a different market than the east coast parks. They have to compete with parks like Disneyland, Universal, SeaWorld Legoland, and Magic Mountain. SFMM already has the big reputation in SoCal as the thrill park, where Disney, SeaWorld, Universal and Legoland have a lock on the families. Those 4 also bring in more tourist crowds that are looking for that type of offering. Knott's is going to do better catering to that crowd when all the locals already go to SFMM for the thrills.

I'm sure we'll see big rides at Knott's eventually, but those aren't always the big money makers. They build what they think will bring in the most money.

Also, I would say spending 5 million on fixing up the awesome log ride they have fits into the category of bringing back quality family attractions, even though Knott's already kicks most traditional parks asses on family attractions.

Also, I would say spending 5 million on fixing up the awesome log ride they have fits into the category of bringing back quality family attractions, even though Knott's already kicks most traditional parks asses on family attractions.

I agree- let's not forget that SFMM actually removed one of their log flumes (Log Jammer) to put in YOLOcoaster! I was impressed when Knott's announced that they were doing such a major refurbishment on Timber, especially considering that they're spending so much money on it to make it look good!

^Isn't the Timber Mtn. Log Ride almost a historical landmark? Any historians know any details about how old something has to be, as well as it's significance? I think if it were, it might even be able to apply for some kind of government funding to keep it in good working order under some kind of National Parks and Recreation clause. If so, I think the Calico Mine Train might also be a landmark as well, as I think it's older than the Log Ride. For that matter, all of Ghost Town might fall under their blanket. Of course I say this with no knowledge of any kind about how something is branded a Historical Landmark, or the inner workings of how the National Parks & Rec. operates. I just know they're all f'ing old and $h!t.

Is it me or does it seem like a GIGA could still be built in the back of the park? There seems to be few supports for the Coast Rider wild mouse, and could a first drop underneath the mouse be possible?

It would be a very tight fit. I would assume a possible ride removal would take place to make room for a station area. I have never been to the park, but from looking at Google Maps, the raft ride seems like a good fit. Would it be a crime to remove this?

Is it me or does it seem like a GIGA could still be built in the back of the park? There seems to be few supports for the Coast Rider wild mouse, and could a first drop underneath the mouse be possible?

It would be a very tight fit. I would assume a possible ride removal would take place to make room for a station area. I have never been to the park, but from looking at Google Maps, the raft ride seems like a good fit. Would it be a crime to remove this?

It has been rumored that Bigfoot Rapids is leaving but there is no way that the current Knott's management will build a giga. A B&M mini-hyper makes more sense.

or, if it's even possible, reverse the train so it starts out backwards?

Honestly, if they turn the train backwards on Boomerang, it really won't change the ride at all...

Yup. Honestly, the park won't turn the ride backwards unless they can promote it as a new experience, which it wouldn't be. If any ride should be turned backwards, it should be Silver Bullet. That over-banked turn...

It has been rumored that Bigfoot Rapids is leaving but there is no way that the current Knott's management will build a giga. A B&M mini-hyper makes more sense.

I agree. As awesome as a giga would be, the chances that a park like KBF will add one is very small. It is very likely that they will add a B&M Mega, though, whether it's a miniature one or the full 230 feet. Either way, they need space. As long as there is space for the station, transfer/storage track, and the queue, the track can really go anywhere as long as the layout is raised, like Silver Bullet.