TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

As much as I like the concept of the wooden shuttle, I really wouldn't want to see it at Knott's. Almost all of Knott's coasters are gimmicks. That's not necessarily bad, but lets look at the lineup:

1.Boomerang - Shuttle

2.Xcelerator - Launched, somewhat a one-trick pony

3.Zoom - Launched and Shuttle. Great but also one trick

4.Sierra Sidewinder - Spinner

5.Pony Express - Launched, doesn't really do much else

6.Silver Bullet - Inverted, multi-looper

7.Ghostrider- The only sit-down, non-spinning, non-launched, complete-circuit rollercoaster in the park (not counting timberline)

I think the reason Ghostrider is still so popular despite it's roughness is the fact that it has the longest layout, offers the most thorough ride experience, and is the only "normal" coaster in the park. By normal, I mean not shuttled, not launched, and not some kind of special vehicle (spinning/inverted).

Knott's doesn't need another launcher or shuttler. Hopefully the mouse that's being added will somewhat round out the lineup. I also think a hyper or giga in the future would also help provide a balance. People love GR and SB because they are decently long. Most of the other coasters are really short. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love Montezooma's and Xcelerator. I just think that the park is a little heavy on the "innovative but short" coaster side.

As much as I like the concept of the wooden shuttle, I really wouldn't want to see it at Knott's. Almost all of Knott's coasters are gimmicks. That's not necessarily bad, but lets look at the lineup:

1.Boomerang - Shuttle

2.Xcelerator - Launched, somewhat a one-trick pony

3.Zoom - Launched and Shuttle. Great but also one trick

4.Sierra Sidewinder - Spinner

5.Pony Express - Launched, doesn't really do much else

6.Silver Bullet - Inverted, multi-looper

7.Ghostrider- The only sit-down, non-spinning, non-launched, complete-circuit rollercoaster in the park (not counting timberline)

I think the reason Ghostrider is still so popular despite it's roughness is the fact that it has the longest layout, offers the most thorough ride experience, and is the only "normal" coaster in the park. By normal, I mean not shuttled, not launched, and not some kind of special vehicle (spinning/inverted).

Knott's doesn't need another launcher or shuttler. Hopefully the mouse that's being added will somewhat round out the lineup. I also think a hyper or giga in the future would also help provide a balance. People love GR and SB because they are decently long. Most of the other coasters are really short. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love Montezooma's and Xcelerator. I just think that the park is a little heavy on the "innovative but short" coaster side.

My opinion is that Sierra Sidewinder, Silver Bullet, & Pony Express aren't gimmicks as they do more than one trick and (other than SB) was made for the family crowd more than anything else.

The coasters are mainly short because of the limited space. Plus, you forgot Jaguar which is a long, nice un-gimmicky family coaster.

My opinion is that Sierra Sidewinder, Silver Bullet, & Pony Express aren't gimmicks as they do more than one trick and (other than SB) was made for the family crowd more than anything else.

The coasters are mainly short because of the limited space. Plus, you forgot Jaguar which is a long, nice un-gimmicky family coaster.

Ah facepalm. Totally forgot Jaguar.

I suppose you're right that gimmick isn't the best word. What I'm trying to say is I want them to add something that's not launched or shuttle because the park has enough of those.

^yes I would say "gimmick" is the wrong word. Without those "gimmicks" all of Knotts coasters would do the same thing. In their current states, I love XC, BLT, MR, SSW and JC. Pony lacks anything major after the launch, and Ghostrider is just too rough to be enjoyable. Boomerang can be ripped out tomorrow and I wouldn't care. Hopefully one day soon Knotts will figure out a way to fit a 4,000-5,000 ft ride in the park. It'll be fun to see

I'm assuming that since they're building a new family coaster, the next thing they will do is something more for the thrill seekers....I'm praying to the coaster gods that for some reason Knott's wises up and gives Ghostrider some TLC a la the NEW Texas Giant. ONE CAN HOPE! That would be an extremely smart move in my opinion since they're obviously faced with space issues. Plus Ghostrider is a shell of its former self. What used to be one of my top 10 woodies is now just a painful experience.

Also, this may have been said before but, Coast rider? Ghostrider? C'mon Knott's. I'm cool with a new family ride, I love them all. But share the disappointment that's an 'off-the-shelf' coaster. Oh well, should keep the kinetic energy alive in that area.

I'm assuming that since they're building a new family coaster, the next thing they will do is something more for the thrill seekers....I'm praying to the coaster gods that for some reason Knott's wises up and gives Ghostrider some TLC a la the NEW Texas Giant. ONE CAN HOPE! That would be an extremely smart move in my opinion since they're obviously faced with space issues. Plus Ghostrider is a shell of its former self. What used to be one of my top 10 woodies is now just a painful experience.

All they need is re-tracking. It has an awesome layout as it is!

If you don't want to have a rough ride on GhostRider: ride in the front. I have never had a problem with the roughness in the front as it is 100% tolerable. Would I like it smoother? Yes, but currently, it isn't a bad coaster.

If you don't want to have a rough ride on GhostRider: ride in the front. I have never had a problem with the roughness in the front as it is 100% tolerable. Would I like it smoother? Yes, but currently, it isn't a bad coaster.

I guess "bad" is in the eye of the beholder. I would rate a front-seat ride on Ghost Rider as "tolerable," at best.

All they need is re-tracking. It has an awesome layout as it is!

That would be fantastic too. I just imagine a slightly updated layout would be their approach to this since woodies have almost turned a new-leaf in the last two to three years.

I went on Ghostrider a week ago. Prior to riding it a week ago I rode it 2 years ago, and even then it bummed me out. I did it anyways, and was in 3rd row, front of 2nd car. Practically front. Maybe it's the whiplash talking but SFMM's Psyclone wasn't as bad as Ghostrider is today. I actually didn't MIND Psyclone all that much either. GR's not a bad coaster by any means, it has a fantastic layout and is definitely a coaster I respect (rode it from day 1), but I just hate seeing/riding it like this.

^ The problem is you shouldn't have two seats being a decent ride out of a whole train. The wait for the front on Ghost Rider can be pretty long and it is still not that much smoother, just tolerable. In my opinion this is just not acceptable.
I guess "bad" is in the eye of the beholder. I would rate a front-seat ride on Ghost Rider as "tolerable," at best.

Agreed. I normally avoid it, but if I ride it, I can tolerate it. I won't enjoy it too much though.

From TPR's Mack interview, it's good to hear that Coast Rider will be "slightly custom". It's good that it won't be an exact clone to Technic Coaster and is why the length is 1339' not 1312'.

My guess is that will have to do with the station, and brake run and will have practically nothing to do with the layout.

When I think about "Gimmick" coasters, I don't really think Knott's coasters apply.

All coasters have a Gimmick. When I think of true "GimmicK" coasters, I think of the constant 1-upsmanship and building the "First and Tallest and Fastest Looping Inverted Spinning Launched Funicular".

I don't think you can call a 30+ Year Old Ride a Gimmick, a boomerang that you can find all over the place a gimmick, an inverted B&M a Gimmick. The only ones that may apply would be Xcelerator (at the time it was, now, not so sure) and probably Pony Express.

I also think using the word gimmick as a negative connotation when it comes to coasters is kinda silly sometimes. My question always ends up being, if it's fun, who cares? But I also know that it's the nature of enthusiasts to over analyze everything. Even how a ride is marketed to the public.

I would not be surprised to see a big coaster 2014 or on. It's tough to compete against Universal and Disney within a year or two of their major improvements/additions. I think it would be smarter to do something big in 2014.

I would not be surprised to see a big coaster 2014 or on. It's tough to compete against Universal and Disney within a year or two of their major improvements/additions. I think it would be smarter to do something big in 2014.

I sure hope so, though I doubt Knott's will be recieving a giga. Pehaps Knott's will get a large B&M wing-rider or a B&M mini-hyper for 2014. If Knott's is getting a mini-hyper for 2014, I would be excited as Goliath (La Ronde) looks like a fun coaster. I could picture those airtime hills going along Knott's parking lot.