TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

I'm all for Knott's getting a family coaster, but something as basic as a wild mouse is a bit disappointing...

Exactly. Practically off the shelf... one hopes they'll theme it out the wazoo, but I'm betting not. Sigh.

Happy with the concept (family focused, bring something balance & activity to the Boardwalk) but... but...

Sigh.

Kudos to the elevator-inside-a-lighthouse idea.

Maybe it will have FIRE!

Am I the only one that surprisingly loves the direction they took here?

This feels so old school Knotts. Just going off the concept art, they're actually bring a boardwalk to the boardwalk. I love the placement on the Scrambler and new Flying Scooters out on the water, plus with Coast Rider this will feel much more quaint and intimate than the area ever was with Perilous Plunge. The Wild Mouse will add a lot of kinetic energy with vehicles constantly whizzing around the track and if there is even a hint fo the lush landscaping as seen in the concept art, I actually think this is a brilliant addition.

And while I know its another "family addition" lets make it clear that before Wipeout was the only family friendly ride in the boardwalk area. Now we've given up a useless "thrill" for a collection of 3 classic family rides bringing boardwalks total family rides to 4 (3 new + WipeOut), and 4 thrill: Riptide, Xcelerator, Supreme Scream, Boomerang.

Its certainly a big disappointment for those who's dream is the ultra huge giga coaster. But for those who want the Wacky Soap Box Racers to return, I think this is a big step in the right direction by Cedar Fair.

I know its just concept art, but even if it looks half as good as that, this is a huge step in the right direction for Knotts.

Edited by Justice

Sometimes a park needs to put in a bunch of small or family friendly stuff before something big goes in and three rides instead of one is nothing to complain about, maybe that's what is next or at least some help for ghost rider, god that ride was awful.

Looks like its essentially what I thought it was going to be.

I don't think Knott's needs a traditional hyper or giga coaster. That would absolutely ruin the whole atmosphere across a large area of the park.

I'd be happy if they just replaced PP with a like wild mouse or something else that fits just in that location.

http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=506&p=1216286

It looks nice though, and I'm sure it will be a fun ride. It's not going to personally make me run back to Knott's any time soon, but I doubt they care.

Because of KBF's problem with space, I wasn't honestly expecting a hyper/giga coaster. It doesn't fit the atmosphere of the park. However, I feel they could have fit a more thrilling coaster in a small space, like a Gerstlauer Eurofighter or a Maurer Sohne X Car. The wild mouse isn't bad but as said before, the capacity isn't the best. Whatever. I'm just glad they got something.

I am actually quite stoked about this announcement. I have never been on a Flying Scooters so that's actually what I am most excited about. A wild mouse is....well.... a wild mouse but at least it's yet another ride for families especially in an area with so few. Scrambler's are fun so I really can't complain except for lack of originality (same case with the wild mouse).

Because of KBF's problem with space, I wasn't honestly expecting a hyper/giga coaster. It doesn't fit the atmosphere of the park. However, I feel they could have fit a more thrilling coaster in a small space, like a Gerstlauer Eurofighter or a Maurer Sohne X Car. The wild mouse isn't bad but as said before, the capacity isn't the best. Whatever. I'm just glad they got something.

I agree, a S&S El Loco like Green Lantern (Movie World Australia) would be better. Though, the Boardwalk area really needed a family ride since there really isn't much for the younger audience to do in the Boardwalk.

^ An El Loco would have been great but I really think this addition is just to balance out the amount of family rides in the Boardwalk. Now you won't only see thrill seekers walking back there, you will see families too which will hopefully will take the load off other areas of the park. As for capacity all three of these rides have better capacity than Perilous Plunge ever did.

Outside of Camp Snoopy, The general rule is 46" as a height requirement (BFR, LR, CRR, CMR, STC) So I'm guessing we'll see a mirror of Sidewinder in that it'll be 42" with a adult, 48" to ride alone. That's what their current Mack runs at. Wow, Just thought of that. Not another B&M or Intamin but Knott's buys two Macks in 5 years... Niether of which were Blue Fire-esque

So....when do we start speculating on height restriction???

Disney has a mouse down the street at 42". Other Cedar Fair Mice are at 44". Kristen rode one at Mirabilandia at 36".

Jaguar is 48".

So thoughts?

Because it's Knott's I'm going with 44" even though the DCA and Legoland ones are 42".

I actually think a much better "Family" ride would have been to get new or modified trains for Jaguar that would allow that ride to go back to a 42" height requirement.

Why this is a good addition:

-It will help with theme and atmosphere in the park

-It will bring family rides to an area mostly comprised of thrill rides

Why this is not a good addition:

-The park could use more high-capacity rides

-Two nearby parks already have similar coasters

Overall, my feelings about this move are very mixed. Although the overall combination of the three rides is a far better addition than Full Throttle, many of the current family rides can get some pretty long waits. (Sidewiner often has the longest wait in the park). More low capacity family rides probably will not help, if they increase attendance enough to increase the waits on other rides. This will offter new options for families, but the coaster will probably have fairly long waits, while I could easily ride something similar at many nearby parks.

But, the atmosphere really works. I was hoping for a junior woodie, as it would seem to go better with the boardwalk theme, but this fits the theme nice enough as it is.

As much as I liked Perilous, I'm happy to see them put the area to some pretty good use. Could the rides have been better? Yeah, slightly let down with the mouse (sure it's a fun model, but I could just as easily go to Legoland for an essentially identical ride), but I'm happy to see the Scrambler return, and really happy to see Flyers (I'm assuming no snapping allowed, but still better fit than Perilous).

Knott's is making a shrewd move to corner the kiddie coaster market:

With the addition of Coast Rider, Knott's will reclaim its rightful place as a Golden State amusement industry leader. That'll be five, count 'em five junior / family coasters. The pressure to keep pace is on nearby Legoland California, which boasts a paltry four kid-pleasingly low thrill shriek machines.

The move threatens even the Disney leviathan. It takes two Mouse House parks to better the Berry Farm's vast collection of coasters for children and the scare-impaired. Blogger Al Lutz of MiceRage.com says Disney Is woefully prepared to counter the new threat due to a typically misguided marketing message. Disney's legendary mountain range consists of a wild mouse, mine train, and, um, dual track wild mouse disguised as intimidating juggernauts suited only for over-adrenalized teens.

Knott's General Manager Raffi Kaprelyan predicts soaring group sales performance, particularly in the critical elementary school field trip sector.

That's a lot of low thrill coasters in the park, and seems to be a return to the earlier days. Until the park proves otherwise by adding a 'big' ride, it reads as a repudiation of Cedar Fair's strategy upon acquisition. If my kids were still six and eight I'd love the move.

Knott's Berry Farm really seems to enjoy putting things in water. Silver Bullet and now this. But at least this time it looks good. This is going to be a great area if they can find a way to block off the view of the road and keep that boardwalk looking ground near the attractions like in the rendering.

It may just be me, but it seems that every California announcement for 2013 has been met with a lukewarm response at best. Disappointment that Gold Striker was "just another GCI," a ton of complaining about Full Throttle, and now a number of people unhappy with Knott's new addition. Yes, it is not a giga coaster, but to be honest I don't think Knott's is the right park for a giga, and I think anyone who expected Cedar Fair to purchase three major new coasters in one year was probably getting their hopes up a little too high.

As for me, while I would have preferred a new B&M I do think this is a fantastic addition and will probably work better in the long run. Coast Rider may just be a wild mouse, but of the stock wild mouse designs the large park is my favorite and assuming it's not trimmed to death this could be the best of Knott's family coasters. While the capacity is isn't great, it's not too bad either (900 riders per hour shouldn't be an issue at Knott's except during peak periods). As for the other two rides, scramblers are always fun (in my opinion they are one of the best family flats), and when it was originally speculated that the park would add new flats I was hoping one would be a flyers attraction. This addition will add diversity to the thrill-centric boardwalk and other than perhaps a splash battle I can't think of a better family ride for this spot. The only minor complaint I have is that the Coast Rider name just doesn't work at Knott's, as while it's certainly better than some of Cedar Fair's names it's too similar to GhostRider and will probably cause confusion among visitors. Why not just call it Wave Runner, or even Wild Mouse (I'm sure plenty of boardwalks had coasters named this)?