TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

I loved this ride growing up and i'm trying to find a spot in the exit/enterance queue to sneak in and take pictures and hopefully put them on TPR.

I am not a moderator or anything, but me thinks this would be a bad idea, not to mention is not allowed according to the Terms of Service contract that you agreed to. You read that before you signed it, right?

I loved this ride growing up and i'm trying to find a spot in the exit/enterance queue to sneak in and take pictures and hopefully put them on TPR.

I am not a moderator or anything, but me thinks this would be a bad idea, not to mention is not allowed according to the Terms of Service contract that you agreed to. You read that before you signed it, right?

Exactly.

We were informed at West Coast Bash a few years ago that the site of Kingdom of the Dinosaurs was in very bad shape and was unsafe for even an organized tour (it's just a wreck). So, do not even consider sneaking in there for photos and posting them here (or anywhere else, for that matter).

For those who have been to both Halloween Horror Nights and Knott's Scary Farm this year which event was better?

I have been much a bigger fan of USH than Knott's for Halloween events over the past couple years. Knott's just feels "old hat" as if they know they are one of the most popular and will get crowds regardless and don't seem to try as much anymore. For example after midnight some of the mazes are dead and you walk through without even getting scared. Even the scare zones have gotten lame as either the fog is barely working or there just aren't many monsters roaming around.

As far as fully immersive mazes and not just feeling like you're in temporary mazes made of plywood boxes, Universal takes the cake. Universal IMO has been trying to be more of the premier Halloween park over the past couple years so they've really stepped up. Employees and workers are much friendlier and nicer too when you ask questions. I also actually get "scared" in Universal's mazes, as it seems like not only is the talent at Universal better, but there are also more of them. Even the scarezones have tons of fog, and you really never know when someones gonna pop out. For example on the upper lot in the "studio" area near Terminator seems to always be a good place for thick fog and scares. If you've never been to HHN and can only go to one event I'd say skip HH @ Knott's and give Universal a try. You won't be dissapointed.

Exactly.

We were informed at West Coast Bash a few years ago that the site of Kingdom of the Dinosaurs was in very bad shape and was unsafe for even an organized tour (it's just a wreck). So, do not even consider sneaking in there for photos and posting them here (or anywhere else, for that matter).

Aside from that, there's literally nothing left. Everything that could be salvaged (animatronics, set pieces, etc.) was taken out and repurposed for Haunt, and everything else was demolished during construction of Johnny Rockets.

Not trying to be a Dick or anything. But without rereading the whole agreement...can you just quote what it says for the benefit of everyone. Thanks.

EDIT....

Never mind I found the terms

"15. Obey Park Rules - If you're going to make a post bragging about breaking park rules, which includes but it not limited to: sneaking cameras on rides, line jumping, standing up on coasters, going into "backstage" areas unauthorized or any other park rule, you're account will be deleted and your IP address banned. "

Please disregard this post.

Edited by skydye

Exactly.

I didn't mean to use "sneaking" in this message. Forgive me. I just wanted to go above and beyond and post pictures from a SBNO attraction.

^ Too be honest I think people seriously over reacted to an innocent post. You'll think people with a high post count would be nicer and more forgiven.

As site moderators, we take it very seriously when someone suggests breaking park rules just to get pictures of backstage areas. We cannot even appear to encourage people to do this.

The matter is closed--no harm done.

^ Too be honest I think people seriously over reacted to an innocent post. You'll think people with a high post count would be nicer and more forgiven.

As site moderators, we take it very seriously when someone suggests breaking park rules just to get pictures of backstage areas. We cannot even appear to encourage people to do this.

The matter is closed--no harm done.

Thanks chuck, won't happen again

(10/12/12) Screamscape sources confirm that the old splashdown pool from Perilous Plunge will remain to be reused for one of the next new attractions.

So, the splashdown pool has been "confirmed" to stay, so I wonder if PP's replacement would be a coaster that goes primarily over water. I thought of something like Orkanen where a large portion of the coaster is over water. For those who don't know what Orkanen is, it is a Vekoma Jr. Inverted coaster going to Farup Sommerland next year.

I would be happy to see a Vekoma Jr. Invert now that it has lap bars and it would give a fun experience. Though, I highly doubt it will replace PP, but I'll just throw this concept out there.

Here's a screenshot of Orkanen from above:

Orkanen.PNG.897b71a2463f0b91d7b5ce608de567af.PNG

You know, you might be onto something there.

While I'm not in the mood to sketch out the path, doing a quick maps comparison shows that the 395-meter layout of the Vekoma Suspended Family Coaster (the Kvasten layout) could possibly fit in the space. The figure-eight section only uses two footers.

I was at the park Friday. Form the skycab and boomerang I was able to see some constructions. They didn't seem to be doing anything to the old pool area. But they were not removing the loading building or the pump house.

I asked employees want were they building. One said a great big roller coaster, he was very excited. One said a roller coaster like boomerang and excellator. One said a small family type roller coaster...He seemed informative with the way he broke the news. 8 or 9 said three small rides. 3 of those said the scrambler and one added a gravitron also. One said the pool was going to stay.

What do I take from all this? Not much. I'm going with the most informative quote form a very smart employee. "It hasn't been announced yet." This are just rumors...They are not facts.

As much as I hate to revert back to the hyper/giga rumor, that is one of the few types of rides that I can think would use a splashdown as big as that. Or, a dive machine. Really, I actually do not think it will be a family coaster, due to the fact that the last two coaster installments were family coasters. So, my money is on something larger.

(10/12/12) Screamscape sources confirm that the old splashdown pool from Perilous Plunge will remain to be reused for one of the next new attractions.

So, the splashdown pool has been "confirmed" to stay, so I wonder if PP's replacement would be a coaster that goes primarily over water. I thought of something like Orkanen where a large portion of the coaster is over water. For those who don't know what Orkanen is, it is a Vekoma Jr. Inverted coaster going to Farup Sommerland next year.

I would be happy to see a Vekoma Jr. Invert now that it has lap bars and it would give a fun experience. Though, I highly doubt it will replace PP, but I'll just throw this concept out there.

Here's a screenshot of Orkanen from above:

[attachment=0]Orkanen.PNG[/attachment]

I think this is very possible given rumors presented.

Dead tired from Haunt last night, but I thought I'd post my review while the memories were still fresh.

For starters, I think Knott's did a tremendous job on the 40th Haunt this year. The talent, shows, and mazes were all top notch, and extremely enjoyable.

I started off the night with five friends by doing the pre-scare dinner (which I HIGHLY recommend if you want some good food and to get into the park ahead of time). After eating and conversing with some of the talent wandering around the tables, we headed into the park, and went straight for Ghostrider. The ride is still pretty rough, but if you're in the first few cars, it's manageable.

Here's where I'll start my maze reviews, in the order in which I did them. I'll keep the details to a minimum, as to not ruin the experience.

Trick or Treat: This maze was rather interesting, especially since it was one of the new ones for this year. You're trick or treaters who've ventured into the witch's home. Theming was absolutely top notch, definitely one of the most detailed mazes I've ever seen the park do. Unfortunately, the costumes and the talent weren't quite "startling" enough to make an impression on a lot of people. This is definitely a "beginner's maze", but still shouldn't be missed. The other problem I had with it was the fact that it existed for one reason only: The Final Scene where you stop in a dining room and have a little show/encounter with the Green Witch (which has several cool effects). It felt like it was made just for the 40th Haunt, so I'm not sure what they'll do to it next year.

End Games: I really really enjoyed this one, especially in the new location. The maze has an absolutely amazing atmosphere , with a heavy metal soundtrack that seemed to be majorly pumping the talent up. There's several cool animatronics (especially the last one). I should also mention that the theming on this one was also top notch. The talent here also did a great job, which gave me the opportunity to witness several hysterical encounters between monsters and my more petrified friends.

Dominion of the Dead: This is another maze I have sort of mixed feelings about... Partly because we seemed to have caught the talent while they were still warming up. There were several "effect" scenes that the actors illy timed their assaults, resulting in us just seeing them reset. The the theming and soundtrack were eerie, and the costumes were great. The main issue I think I have with it is that it felt really disjointed. Even though I was at WCB and I heard the story, I still couldn't tell that much of a difference between the first and the second "lairs". For most people I think the maze was probably a bit confusing.

Delirium: The facade! Need I say more? Out of all the mazes, the one that has the coolest facade is the one that's put in a back corner where you can't see it very well. Go figure, Anyway, after hearing everyone talking about how awesome this one was last year, I couldn't wait to check it out. I wasn't disappointed either. Lots of crazy, screwed up, nightmarish sets filled with demented creatures. Definitely an abstract maze, but enjoyable. Good talent and great atmosphere.

Terror of London: The maze of the night for me. The talent here were absolutely awesome! At one point early in the maze, I called out my friend's name, and one of the female talent started following her saying: "Your name's Mikaela? My name's Mikaela too." In a perfect/creepy British accent. Between that, and a knife wielding guy early on who would get up in everyone's face, the maze was great. One aspect that I think really makes this maze so good is that it changes elevation, location and direction. This atmosphere made it feel like we really were in London. Scenery was great, talent was great.

Pinocchio Unstrung: Out of the new mazes for this year, this one was definitely my favorite of them. Stellar theming and costumes added to the extremely creepy atmosphere of an almost picture perfect "Disney gone wrong" scenario. I really have to emphasize the theming on this one, because of how brilliant it looked, and how detailed it was. The animatronic at the end is really cool. Definitely recommend getting into this one.

Dio De Los Muertos: Definitely one of the aging mazes, but certainly still a fun one. While the theming might not have been quite as good as some of the newer mazes, I still enjoyed going through it. For how small of a space those bumper cars are, they sure managed to stick a whole lot of maze.

Uncle Willy's Slaughterhouse: In terms of gore factor, this maze takes the cake. Even though this is the veteran maze of the haunt lineup, the talent and theming were still great. Tons of gore and disgusting scenes, but highly detailed all around.

Fallout Shelter: By far, the weakest maze of the night. Despite being only two years old, this maze just doesn't look good. The talent were okay but they didn't have much to work with besides the radiation room filled with fog. I'd like to see them either A: completely revamp the maze or B: replace it. This maze also seemed to have the shortest line out of all of them. Not surprising.

And. Now the one that you've all been waiting for....

Trapped : Loved it. I know that Knott's has been trying to get an Upcharge maze for a while, and this one definitely had a lot of work put into it. I don't want to spoil what happens inside, as it would ruin the experience, but I would say it's worth the money. The Maze challenges you psychologically in various forms, and the finale rooms were frightening to say the least. Lots of cool theming in this maze and special effects that took us by surprise.

I would say that they'll definitely have to completely change it up every year if they want repeat customers, as it's really a one time deal due to a few puzzle solving aspects.

Definitely the best attraction at Haunt this year.

Shows

Blood Drums: Ow my ears. Owch. Great music and show, but waaaaaaaayyyy too loud to be completely enjoyable.

The Hanging Games: While not quite as strong as last year per say, I would definitely call it great. With its usual crude humor and snarky dialogue, it's always a highlight of Haunt.

The Witching Hour: It's the return of the witch hanging! Lots of pyro and special effects. Short and sweet, but definitely worth seeing, since it's only shown once a night, at midnight.

Ed Alonso's Funhouse: There is no line that man won't cross. Mysterious magic and dance numbers were accompanied by the more than two dozen of the most racist Asian jokes I've ever heard in a two to three minute period. It was incredibly cringeworthy, and horribly hilarious, all at the same time.

That's all I have for now, thanks for reading!