TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

2. Is Trick or Treat an upcharge maze? I know that Trapped requires reservations, but the Knott's site doesn't mention if there's a charge for Trick or Treat. I thought I had read somewhere that there was going to be a small fee for it.

You can buy limited edition Trick or Treat bags with some goodies in them to trick or treat in the queue line. I think that is what they meant.

Ah, that makes more sense now. Thanks!

Here are some things I came up with to make Knott's the "perfect" park.

-Take out Boomerang. The ride is as old as dirt and isn't enjoyable to ride anymore.

-Give Ghostrider some new trains. Millennium Flyers or Timberliners would be nice.

-Take out a flat ride or two in Fiesta Village. It seems a little "crammed" in that area of the park. Maybe the Hat Dance and/or the Dragon Swing. This also opens up this edge of the park for something special...(wink, wink).

As for the old PP spot, it could be anything from a B&M hyper coaster with a splashdown to a Mack splash battle. All we can do is wait and see.

Some of these idea are a little hypathetical but I think it might make the park look a little more nice.

^ I like those ideas although I would say put an S&S El Loco in Boomerang's spot and along with the the new trains for Ghostrider I would add a topper track retrack to make sure that ride stays great for years. As for PP all i wan't is something other than the flat's that websites like Screamscape have rumored recently. It is just too big a plot of land in a small park to waste on flat's when Knott's is really due for something bigger. If Knott's wants another flat they should just replace Screamin Swing instead.

Just got back from the park. I was looking to see the facades for the different Haunt mazes, but they seem to be doing a great job of hiding everything Haunt related. I honestly couldn't tell what any of the mazes were except for Trapped. Ghostrider is up and running, and it feels better I guess. I've always liked it, even with the roughness, so I dont really notice. From what I could remember, it does feel smoother immediately after the first drop and most notably to the turn before the turnaround and brakes. Which, by the way, don't stop you completely! They were running both towers on Supreme Scream, and on a day like today, meant rerides! Its funny because on days way more crowded, they have only the one tower open.

-Take out a flat ride or two in Fiesta Village. It seems a little "crammed" in that area of the park. Maybe the Hat Dance and/or the Dragon Swing. This also opens up this edge of the park for something special...(wink, wink).

I actually agree with this. The Dragon Swing corner is filled with these outdated rides that aren't any good (except La Revolucion). I can see them removing one of them in the future for a medium sized flat ride.

Knott's Berry Farm has sent us a press release regarding a special appearance by Elvira at this year's Knott's Halloween Haunt.

Elvira, the legendary mistress of the dark, will make a rare one- night-only appearance as part of Knott’s Halloween Haunt’s 40th year celebration on Thursday, October 4 from 9 pm to 1:00 am. Guests to the park that night can purchase a photo of the Hollywood Horror movie queen for her signature or even purchase a photo with her at the Knott’s 40th Halloween Haunt Museum.

Elvira’s reign as the “Queen of Halloween” began in 1981 when she became the hostess of the KHJ television show “Movie Macabre,” and went on to be the first horror host to be syndicated nationally.

In 1982 she became the headliner in the Ghoul Time Theatre show at Knott’s Halloween Haunt following in the footsteps of Sinister Seymour and Wolfman Jack. Elvira last appeared at Haunt in 2001.

Since its humble beginnings in 1973, Knott’s Halloween Haunt has grown to be the largest, most creative and most well attended Halloween attraction in the world. This year Knott’s Berry Farm will be transformed into a living nightmare with 13 themed mazes and ride through attractions, 9 live shows, and 4 scare zones featuring hundreds of free-roaming monsters.

Dates for this year’s Halloween Haunt are Sept. 21-22, Sept. 27-30, Oct. 4-7, 11-14, 18-21, 25-28, 30-31, 2012 .Knott’s Berry Farm closes at 5:30 p.m. each evening and reopens at 7 p.m. as Knott’s Scary Farm. The fear continues until 1 a.m. (2 a.m. on Fridays and Saturdays.) For more information and to purchase tickets visit www.knotts.com.

I seriously am going to have to start taking these rumors with a grain of salt because they seem to change daily. For all we know the rumor for tomorrow is that they are back to getting a giga coaster.

Rumors are just that rumors. But we have to think that Magic mountain announce it's coaster at the end of the summer season. Then came out with get the rest of 2012 and 2013 season passes now for the same price. All other parks announce there coasters for next season at the end of summer. Knott's have there get the rest of 2012 and 2013 season price for the same price also.....But they did not announce a coaster. Employee are taking about a new themed area with flat rides. To what benefit is it for Knott's season ticket sales to NOT announce a coaster like everyone else if they what the season ticket sale. Either it's a winter planed coaster or no major coaster. They lost there chance for a spring/summer coaster season tickets sales. This is not fact...just an opinion.

I seriously am going to have to start taking these rumors with a grain of salt because they seem to change daily. For all we know the rumor for tomorrow is that they are back to getting a giga coaster.

Rumors are just that rumors. But we have to think that Magic mountain announce it's coaster at the end of the summer season. Then came out with get the rest of 2012 and 2013 season passes now for the same price. All other parks announce there coasters for next season at the end of summer. Knott's have there get the rest of 2012 and 2013 season price for the same price also.....But they did not announce a coaster. Employee are taking about a new themed area with flat rides. To what benefit is it for Knott's season ticket sales to NOT announce a coaster like everyone else if they what the season ticket sale. Either it's a winter planed coaster or no major coaster. They lost there chance for a spring/summer coaster season tickets sales. This is not fact...just an opinion.

Reading that gave me a headache.

Yea, I'm trying to figure out Knott's game plan. Those ads they are running are pretty clever, but only go so far. If there is no substance to the theme park, what's the point of going? My hopes of something good have greatly diminished though, but I'd like to eat my words

It's going to be great if this ends up to be the opposite of SFMM where there is no excitement at all and then Knott's announces a record breaker. Will it happen? I'd bet against it, but you can't be certain until the announcement.

Anyway, I've pretty much got to the point where if they get flat rides, I'll be glad they're getting something new. If they also get a splash battle, I think it would be an excellent addition. If they get a coaster, that's great, and if it's a major coaster I'd be thrilled no matter how much people complain about it. If this turns out to just be return of the Scrambler, then I'll be significantly disappointed, and if it's nothing at all I think the park will suffer for it.

I'd be very surprised to see the park get a major coaster this year with Cedar Fair already building two, but I also don't think getting a coaster the size of a mouse means it's a bad ride. Depending on how it's interpreted, anything from a generic mouse to an El Loco could fit that description. I know it's probably not very likely, but if the park is looking for a mouse-like family-friendly coaster, I'd vote for a Gerstlauer Bobsled. I've never been on one, but from what I've heard they range from good to excellent and I think they probably only cost around $3 million. Of course, this only applies if the park would run it correctly and not trim it to death like most Cedar Fair coasters.

It seems to me that everyone wants Knotts' new coaster to out-do Full Throttle just because Full Throttle wasn't what we expected it to be. Or maybe it's the whole "Leviathan should have gone to Knott's" thing. Am I just going crazy?

Here are some outlines of coasters for the area - yellow is Ricochet (longer version with the drop) and orange is Steel Hawg. If they really want to keep the pool and use it for something else, a roller coaster is going to be a tight fit if they want to keep it in that area.

mapgrabknotts-01-01.jpg.cf4db386f38027d979da968c5ece4543.jpg

It seems to me that everyone wants Knotts' new coaster to out-do Full Throttle just because Full Throttle wasn't what we expected it to be. Or maybe it's the whole "Leviathan should have gone to Knott's" thing. Am I just going crazy?

Here are some outlines of coasters for the area - yellow is Ricochet (longer version with the drop) and orange is Steel Hawg. If they really want to keep the pool and use it for something else, a roller coaster is going to be a tight fit if they want to keep it in that area.

This is very well thought out. If someone can go to Knott's and go on the skycab and get some pictures of the area. We'd have a better idea of what's possible. I'm not due to go until November. But I'll happily take some photo's and talk with some employees when I'm there.

Re: Coaster/Non-Coaster Rumors

I find it hilarious how people complain that Knott's ignores the family market and there are rumors for flats (hopefully family friendly ones) and people complain. I just don't get it. I'm sure the changes made to Ghost Town over the last 1 1/2 years are also lost you as well.

Re: Haunt

We went on Saturday and had pretty much the same impressions as everybody else.

Hanging - I hated it this year. It was very weak IMO. Maybe it's because I saw Bill and Ted first (and liked that for the first time) but I just didn't care for it.

Pinocchio - It was cool, creepy and had some great scenes.

Trick or Treat - Probably my favorite "Non-Trapped" maze of the night.

Dominion - I absolutely LOVED this originally, just like Pinocchio, Knott's has been going for more of the "creepy" than scary the last few years.

Trapped - Absolutely amazing. Had such a great time. Not sure if it would be highly repeatable once you know what to do but it's truly unique. If it's going to come back next year they will have to change things up. Great concept, great execution, highly recommended.

Most improved maze ... without a doubt, Slaughterhouse. This was a low-point for me the last couple of years but they re-designed it a bit and the talent in there was fantastic.

Mazes that need to go:

Fallout Shelter - Never was a big fan of this one and this was the worst year for it IMO.

Dia De Los Muertos - See above about Fallout Shelter.

Mine Train - I'm torn. The re-theme is usually weak and people complain. But riding the "normal" mine train totally took me out of "Haunt". I just don't get why they don't just do a "Haunted Mine" theme. Stop with the Aliens, the underworld, the spiders and just have ghosts in the freaking maze. DONE!!! Hopefully once it get's it's extensive rehab they can re-haunt this.

Log Ride - LOVE Evil Dead. Know this was from the remake but I don't care. Had fun and the Ash character before the final lift was PERFECT.

It really would be interesting if they actually built a 674 feet tall coaster with a maximum G-force of 28 G's but I guess that would be impossible. Still, I wonder what they really are going to build.

You'd die. Horribly. Generally not something a park wants to spring for.

EDIT: Actually as I read up on the human body's g-force tolerance, I realize that 26 g, depending on how long it's sustained, might not actually kill you. It would definitely ruin your day.

Edited by UrbanLegend

...Hanging - I hated it this year. It was very weak IMO. Maybe it's because I saw Bill and Ted first (and liked that for the first time) but I just didn't care for it...

Hmm, I wonder if this has to do with TPR favorite Jeff Tucker not writing the script this year...

Sad to hear though, hopefully the other new shows this year make up for it.

It really would be interesting if they actually built a 674 feet tall coaster with a maximum G-force of 28 G's but I guess that would be impossible. Still, I wonder what they really are going to build.

Yes, but what a way to go.

EDIT: Actually as I read up on the human body's g-force tolerance, I realize that 26 g, depending on how long it's sustained, might not actually kill you. It would definitely ruin your day.

If it's definitely going to ruin your day, then SFMM should look into it!