TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

I suppose as long as they promise not to retrofit them with four-point can opening mechanisms. Miller Brewing Company is already complicating things and throwing the can industry for a loop with their new punch-top cans that allow for a smoother pour.

The first beer you drik shouldn't be a problem....but once you start getting to 3-4, that can might get a little trickier

You do realize this can innovation has been done for a long time. In my drinking lifetime, it has been at least 29 years. All you need is a screwdriver and a little initiative. It's called shotgunning a beer. The initiative being getting the girl as drunk as possible, as fast as possible, to score quicker. On a larger scale, the beer bong works on the same principle.

So yea...........Perilous is going somewhere but NOT to another park.

Noooooo! That picture almost killed me...

Does anyone know why PP ran into such capacity issues? Was there a reason for running one boat rather than laziness / efforts to save costs on the part of Knott's?

Running the second boat only would've made marginal difference. The cycle time is what affected perilous the most. If youve ever watched it cycle, from dispatch to return took easily 7-8 minutes, factor in load time, guest confusion, operator confusion, it could easily taken 10 minutes between dispatch cycles, with or without two boats. And IIRC, it was EVEN MORE prone to downtime with both boats, overall it was just one of the prototypes that just go under the "fail" colomn. I know the park worked hard to keep that ride up to code but if it was taking more than its annual alotted budget then good riddance to it

^^ Don't you think it would have done well with the second boat if the operators were trained properly and there was some more signage or video in the queue on how to load/unload/deal with restraints, etc? I think cycle time was an issue, but I kinda feel like mechanical issues were the bigger concern.

^ Right, but what I am saying is that cycle time is something that can be addressed. You can train both guests and employees to move faster and load more efficiently. Even if they can shave a minute off of each cycle time, that is huge. With little oversight and operators that stared off into the distance while the guests fumbled with the restraints - it didn't help the problem.

Off the topic of PP: If I could only go to Knott's Scary Farm or Halloween Horror Nights, which one should I go too, or at least what are the pros and cons of both?

Both are great and there's really no bad choice. HHN typically has fewer mazes, but they are usually a bit more themed and complex, while KSF has more mazes that are usually not quite as complex. Also, many mazes at HHN are based off of Movies and TV shows etc, while for the most part, KSF mazes are original or inspired ideas and concepts. Lastly, HHN is a little more expensive, costing $46 for opening night while KSF costs $36 (Online purchase). Either way you'll have a great time so just pick based on what's easier and fits your tastes .

So basically: HHN: Quality over Quantity Vs. KSF: Quantity over Quality. Is there any other pros or cons I should know about? Like are lines usually shorter at one or the other? I went to HHN last year and it was extremely crowded with 75+ min. waits for all mazes and around hour waits for attractions.

With my experience at KSF, I usually never have excessive lines for mazes, just rides. The earlier in the season you go the better usually. However, I went Halloween night one year and had walkons on all the mazes so it depends. But yes, overall the quality of HHN is a bit better, but that doesn't mean Knott's is bad in any way, shape or form.

EDIT: I find KSF's street talent better, but HHN seems to usually have a little bit better mazes.

^ Well if you had to choose one event which would you go too?

I'm already going to the Micechat event this year for KSF so that's my plan. I'm not sure If I'll be able to do HHN, but I hope so. Overall though, I personally would go to KSF, just because I grew up there and it's nostalgic. Overall, I like the "feel" and atmosphere of walking around Ghost Town and the various scare zones over USH. Plus a new friend I met is going to be working his rookie year as a slider so I wanted to visit him and watch. Overall, I'd say just go for KSF, but if you really want to do USH, by all means do it. Also, If you haven't been to KSF I'd recommend going since you've already experienced HHN.

^ Ok thank you for all the help. The trapped add on maze looks like it could be a blast if I could get a group of friends together to do it.

No problem. and yeah it looks interesting! I added on the extra $10 with the micechat to do it, so if I go before you I'll let you know how it is .

Off the topic of PP: If I could only go to Knott's Scary Farm or Halloween Horror Nights, which one should I go too, or at least what are the pros and cons of both?

Coming from a very big fan of HHN, I would have to say Knott's this year. Haunt looks like it's going to be amazing this year as it would be a darn shame to miss it this year. HHN, though it looks promising this year, just isn't really thinking outside the box this year like Knott's is doing this year.

But if you can, go to both. I'll still weigh out the pros and cons foryou and event planning.

Knott's: If you go, plan to get there an hour before the park opens. They will have a special opening scareamony with the Greet Witch. As soon as the park opens, do Evil Dead (Log Ride overlay) first, head for the four mazes in the backstage (Trick or Treat, Endgames, Delirium, and Dominion), and then go for you Trapped reservation (Depending on what time you set). If your reservation that you made for Trapped is earlier than 9:00PM, then I would stick with the houses closer to it (Dia, Bobo's, or Pinnochio). You want to hit Evil Dead when the park first opens for the event since the line for it will be slammed all night with an hour-and-a-half to two hour wait.

Pros:

-Interesting original concepts for all of the houses

-Quantity

-VERY special VIP house that is Trapped.

-Evil Dead: The Ride. Only haunt I know of that currently features a haunted ride.

-More variety of unique shows (The Hanging, the Midnight Witch hanging, Haunt: Unearthed, which will be in mystery lodge, and Tonga Tiki Terror, which will have the lead puppeteer from Team America involved).

-Getting to Trick-or-Treat (Literally!) while waiting in line for Trick or Treat.

-Great backstory and overall theme (Don't know if this will mean much to you).

-Boysenberry punch.

Cons:

-Though the coasters looks tempting, you most likely won't get to ride them if you want to get all of the haunted houses and must-see shows done. (Four shows I mentioned above).

-They do repeat a lot of the same themes from previous years, but they will have some new things in the older houses.

-The sets aren't quite movie-quality like Universal's are, but judging by Delirium and Endgames, they have been improving in detail.

-The crowds tend to be a bit more annoying than HHN.

Halloween Horror Nights: Plan to get there at least an hour before the park officially opens. (Plan to actually BE THERE at six). They usually let the people in fifteen or twenty minutes early. Do Alice Cooper first after the opening scareamony and then run to the lower lot. I would advise having dinner at CityWalk before you go in; if you do so, then plan to arrive around 5:30. If you can't make it in early, then buy the FoTL pass.

Pros:

-Movie-quality sets and make-up

-Terror Tram on the Universal backlot

-*Mostly* new content every year

Cons:

-If you miss out this year, you won't get to see any of the houses next year, though they may bring one back.

-No theme or backstory. Just different themes jumbled together.

-Mediocre scarezones (In my opinion).

-Only one show...but it's a good one.

-Smaller quantity, smaller park=bigger crowds and bigger lines.

-Not nearly as much originality as Knott's in terms of haunted houses.

I might be missing something in those lists, but that's all I can think of right now.

.-Evil Dead: The Ride. Only haunt I know of that currently features a haunted ride.

I don't wanna sound like an a-hole, but CF's little park to the north, great america, actually has a haunted log ride as well... While it probably doesn't quite compare to what KSF does with Timber mountain (what with it's indoor section and all), it's still pretty awesome, with actors banging and rapping on the flume as you wind your way through a dark wooded area.

^^^^ Great trips listed above, thanks! In your past experience what are the best nights to go? Unfortunately, we will probably only be able to go on a Saturday or Sunday night....possibly able to change things around for a Thursday but pretty unlikely. What would you suggest?

- Todd

Apparently, Windseeker was stuck at the top:

BUENA PARK, Calif. (KABC) -- A malfunctioning ride at Knott's Berry Farm left riders stuck in the air for hours on Friday night.

A Knott's spokesperson said the Wind Seeker ride at the park encountered issues around 7:30 p.m.

The ride takes people high into the air and spins them around.

Maintenance crews had to manually lower the ride, which took a couple hours.

No one was injured. Crews said the ride will be kept out of service until they determine what happened.

(Copyright ©2012 KABC-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=news/local/orange_county&id=8803145