TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

Comparing MR to Greezed Lightnin (Tidal Wave at CGA), I noticed a couple of interesting things...

- The launch was more intense than the weight drop version

- On the reverse travel back through the station, it was barely trimmed at all! This was awesome because the train was allowed to go up pretty high on the reverse spike. On Tidal Wave it was always heavily trimmed and the train did not travel very high up on the reverse spike.

If Knott's can keep this ride running this way for many more years or decades then it will still easily be a very very good ride.

Montezoomas, despite it's age, is a VERY easy ride to maintain. Why would they take a tried and true ride, that has been there for 30+ years and totally re-do the launch mechanism? If it's not broke, don't fix it. Just because you "can" doesn't mean you "should".

Knott's and it's mechanics are VERY proud of Montezoomas Revenge. The amount of love and care they put into this ride is very clear and evident. It's still one of the best rides in the park (one of the best coasters in CA if you sit and think about it) and it's still very popular.

I think the person was suggesting an idea for when Montezooma's Revenge reaches the end of its life cycle or can't be maintained due to lack of parts, etc.

While a nice coaster, I would completely disagree with your statement calling it one of the best coasters in CA.

I really don't have any complaints about Knott's building a large coaster, if they build one. This park needs something new, and as long as it's fun I won't care what they decide to add to the park.

Exactly, thanks. I meant that if/when it the current launch system ever falls into disrepair or becomes a maintenance issue, there would be a fairly simple way of updating it rather than replacing it with something new. Hopefully MR's launch system will be easy to maintain and have minimal problems for years to come, but even if not, there's no reason the ride would need to be removed.

There are reportedly 85 operational coasters in CA.

Montezooma's is EASILY in the top 15-20 of those 85 if you actually sat down and thought about it.

I've ridden 56 coasters in California and Monte is either in or barely out of my top 10 for the state. Long live Monte!

I wonder how costly it would be to have Gerstlauer come in and replace the existing launch mechanisms with a new LSM system. They could also replace the trains with their new "Schwarzkopf" trains a la Sooperdooperlooper.

It's funny to me that you would so quickly blast a young kid for using his imagination, and then in the very next paragraph suggest something equally, if not more, absurd.

Yeah are we seriously talking about removing Monte? Over removing Boomerang? Smh.....

Is it impossible to build an impulse coaster that is in a loop? Like launches up like Superman @SFDK, goes straight across the top, hold brakes, then does a vertical drop with a twist like TTD or Kingda Ka? Then when passing thru the station gain more launch speed for another circuit.... completing 2-3 circuits in all? (This idea is stolen from RCT2)

On Tuesday evening one of the trains on Ghostrider didn't make the second hill and stalled at the bottom of the first drop.

That must have been the train that I seen this morning. They took the cars apart and they're by the storage part of the park next to a crane. I wonder what happened?

On Tuesday evening one of the trains on Ghostrider didn't make the second hill and stalled at the bottom of the first drop.

Yes a horrible piece of crap will do that.

I'm not surprised, that thing is so rough it's amazing it makes it at all.

PTC trains mangle tracks quite a bit. I will admit I am a fan of PTC 3-bench trains (particularly with buzzbars), but I am surprised it took so long for a company like GCI to come up with a lighter design. What is a bit ironic is that CGI based their design for Millennium Flyers on older wood coaster train designs (I believed they based them off Prior and Church train designs, but I could be wrong)

I do hope that just because they get massive improvements doesn't mean that they will stop continually maintaining it. Even Roar at SFDK has started jackhammering quite a bit lately, and it is probably the roughest GCI to have opened with the Millennium Flyers. Even these magic trains do not have permanent effects. Assuming GR gets Timberliners, I hope these things can hold up as well or better.

I made a layout of what the KBF giga could be:

[attachment=0]knott's giga layoutv2.png[/attachment]

The green part is the lift hill, the second hill and MCBR would be going over the backstage area, and a hammerhead over GhostRider. The brakes being yellow and blue would be the station.

that track goes way to close to the Knott's Hotel, no way they would do that. More than likely right behind PP's fence is the employee parking lot. They could build the coaster over the road, and use the land up back there. They have another parking lot rarely used off of La Palma Ave they could have employees park at.