TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

^^I doubt Montezooma's Revenge will be removed in the near future, but it wouldn't surprise me too much simply because it is the oldest coaster there and doesn't draw that many riders anymore. Even on crowded days, I have rarely seen waits longer than 15-20 minutes for it. As long as the ride is running well and maintenance costs are reasonable, it will probably remain, but if the ride were to run into serious issues or parts became very expensive I could see Cedar Fair pulling the plug on the ride.

Do you think Knott's would take out Monty and put in an Intamin Impulse coaster as a replacement? Just wondering cause im sure eventually Monty will become expensive to maintain and will be worth replacing.

No. There is almost a 0% chance of an Intamin Impulse replacing Monty. The last one built (not relocated) was Steel Venom way back in 2003. That type of ride is old technology. Perhaps we might see a LSM Impulse in the future at some park in the world, but I doubt it.

EDIT: I mistakenly thought Wicked Twister was the last built Intamin Impulse, my bad.

Edited by XYZ

No. There is almost a 0% chance of an Intamin Impulse replacing Monty. The last one built (not relocated) was Wicked Twister way back in 2002. That type of ride is old technology. Perhaps we might see a LSM Impulse in the future at some park in the world, but I doubt it.

The last non-relocated impulse was actually Steel Venom at Valleyfair in 2003.

Well I know they don't build them anymore or at least haven't been asked too. I was thinking more along the lines of a relocation.

Intamin does still offer impulse in both single and double twist models, as both options are still on their website. However, I highly doubt Montezooma would ever be replaced by one. I can't really see Monty leaving anytime soon. Honestly I hope that there are more impulses built SOMEWHERE because I think they make great rides. ...Just not as a replacement for a shuttle loop.

Kings Island has a number of water dummies that say the same, I wouldn't read too much into it.

Yeah, that's how the water dummies come from B&M a lot of the time.

No. There is almost a 0% chance of an Intamin Impulse replacing Monty. The last one built (not relocated) was Steel Venom way back in 2003. That type of ride is old technology. Perhaps we might see a LSM Impulse in the future at some park in the world, but I doubt it.

EDIT: I mistakenly thought Wicked Twister was the last built Intamin Impulse, my bad.

Honestly, I would love to see an LSM Impulse (just in general, not necessarily at Knott's) The LSMs now use much less electricity and have a lot more thrust. I bet they could make taller Impulse coasters that don't require 3 swings to get to full speed. Might also make for a more reliable holding brake too.

IMO, holding brakes are a usually a gimmick that doesn't work. Most of the impulse coaster holding brakes give you a painful jolt, but do not hold you up there long enough to realize how high you are. I am actually glad SFDK doesn't use theirs, as I simply do not find being jolted into the restraints fun.

On another note, what about that crazy halfpipe-impulse combo that is being built in China? That might make for a fun ride.

Of course, neither of these designs will ever be better than Monte. They would have to replace it with a Mega-Lite to make me welcome it's exit, and even then I would still miss it after it closed.

Edit: wait, I just came up wih a new idea. What about an impulse shuttle loop? Like an impulse with a loop in it.

Why in the world would Cedar Fair relocate a nearly 30-year-old coaster that was built by a manufacture who is no longer in business (mainly because of a disastrous ride they built for the very park in question) especially when the ride isn't well-received and has fairly low capacity? Nothing about that plan would make any kind of sense. I guess it could happen. They did relocate Demon Drop, after all. But I just don't see that happening. Ever.

Anyway, as far as Montezooma's Revenge goes, I wonder how costly it would be to have Gerstlauer come in and replace the existing launch mechanisms with a new LSM system. They could also replace the trains with their new "Schwarzkopf" trains a la Sooperdooperlooper.

Why in the world would Cedar Fair relocate a nearly 30-year-old coaster that was built by a manufacture who is no longer in business (mainly because of a disastrous ride they built for the very park in question) especially when the ride isn't well-received and has fairly low capacity?

Because it was suggested by a 12 year old. Other than that there is no reason.

Montezoomas, despite it's age, is a VERY easy ride to maintain. Why would they take a tried and true ride, that has been there for 30+ years and totally re-do the launch mechanism? If it's not broke, don't fix it. Just because you "can" doesn't mean you "should".

Knott's and it's mechanics are VERY proud of Montezoomas Revenge. The amount of love and care they put into this ride is very clear and evident. It's still one of the best rides in the park (one of the best coasters in CA if you sit and think about it) and it's still very popular.

Montezoomas, despite it's age, is a VERY easy ride to maintain. Why would they take a tried and true ride, that has been there for 30+ years and totally re-do the launch mechanism? If it's not broke, don't fix it. Just because you "can" doesn't mean you "should".

Knott's and it's mechanics are VERY proud of Montezoomas Revenge. The amount of love and care they put into this ride is very clear and evident. It's still one of the best rides in the park (one of the best coasters in CA if you sit and think about it) and it's still very popular.

I think the person was suggesting an idea for when Montezooma's Revenge reaches the end of its life cycle or can't be maintained due to lack of parts, etc.

While a nice coaster, I would completely disagree with your statement calling it one of the best coasters in CA.

I really don't have any complaints about Knott's building a large coaster, if they build one. This park needs something new, and as long as it's fun I won't care what they decide to add to the park.

Agreed. It's an excellent ride. I see no need to remove it at all or modify it in any way. Personally I think removal of any Schwarzkopf should be made illegal .

The problem with Montezuma's is that the area it occupies is so small the only thing that could really replace it would be an impulse coaster. Or something like superman at SFDK.

Superman is actually very wide from it's support structure. I don't think it would fit at all in that spot.