TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

Remember that "E Ticket" need not necessarily mean "big coaster." Something along the lines of BGW's Verbolten, with an appropriate theme, of course, would qualify.

I agree. And to me Verbolten was a big additions. When I said big earlier I intentionally did the quotes on it to indicate that to me a big coaster isn't literally a huge ride, it's just a major attraction. Big Thunder and Space Mountain are relatively small coasters, but because of what they are, they are big to me.

Make sense?

I'll go along with that.

The one thing in Knott's favor building a big "Coaster" in the back part of the park is that area is already the most "Cedar Fair" part of the park so a big steel coaster wouldn't feel out of place there.

Even if it was a Giga, it won't seem as out of place as Silver Bullet is/was in the middle of Ghost Town. The only way you are going to get a Giga is an out/back that goes all the way along the edge of the park along Western, backstage behind Bigfoot and then back. At least that would be the only "acceptable" way of doing it. I can't imagine they'd be able to build over Western.

The only way you are going to get a Giga is an out/back that goes all the way along the edge of the park along Western, backstage behind Bigfoot and then back. At least that would be the only "acceptable" way of doing it. I can't imagine they'd be able to build over Western.

That's what they were rumored to build for this summer. According to Screamscape, Leviathan was supposed to go to Knotts Berry Farm, but at the last minute plans changed and Cedar Fair instead shipped it off to Canada's Wonderland.

Knotts has been considering a hypercoaster ever since Cedar Fair took over the park. All of their top earners have one, so simple deduction tells me that if the park get an opportunity to add one, they're going to take it. It doesn't have to be a giga. It could just as easily be something like Diamondback or Behemoth.

Having said that, I'd bet the park will want to make a statement with their next thrill ride, so a giga wouldn't shock me in the least.

Edited by Manic Monte

Why is everyone clinging to this rumor about Leviathan going to Knott's? Where has there ever been proof of that? I don't buy it for the fact that it wouldn't have fit with that layout. And it's not like a massive coaster like that is suddenly just re-designed and moved at the drop of a hat.

Every coaster knotts has built has been a unique layout to fit the park. A giga will be no different, it'll have to be unique to squeeze it into the space they have. A tight compact like version of levitan could make for one hell of a ride, here's hoping....

^^ It would be awesome for Knott's to add something like Verbolten but Knott's already has 3 launch coasters so I doubt they would purchase a fourth.

True enough, but some sort of heavily themed, largely inddor coaster would be good (it doesn't necessarily have to be launched).

Every coaster knotts has built has been a unique layout to fit the park. A giga will be no different, it'll have to be unique to squeeze it into the space they have. A tight compact like version of levitan could make for one hell of a ride, here's hoping....

I can name at least 2 that aren't unique layouts ... Montezooma's Revenge and Boomerang. I'm pretty sure Corkscrew could be added to that but I'm not 100% sure.

^^ It would be awesome for Knott's to add something like Verbolten but Knott's already has 3 launch coasters so I doubt they would purchase a fourth.

True enough, but some sort of heavily themed, largely inddor coaster would be good (it doesn't necessarily have to be launched).

Hopefully something that could be as good as Skull Mountain at SFGAdv.

Is there a reason why every coaster that Knotts has built is from a different manufacturer?

Corkscrew and Wacky Soap Box Racers were both Arrow

But it is quite an eclectic mix off 11 different manufacturers (throughout the history). I guess those were the best/cheapest/most compelling companies to provide offers at each respective time.

With all these complaints about the next coaster might not be unique, Knott's has been known to install very unique coasters, a lot known to being the first or one of the first of their kind. Here's a look at all of Knott's coasters and what is unique about them:

Boomerang: Well, not very unique.

GhostRider: A very unique layout.

Jaguar!: One of the longest, if not the longest Zierer Tivoli built.

Montezooma's Revenge: One of the first shuttle loops and the first to use a flywheel launch. Supposedly, it's the tallest Shuttle Loop at 148' as most of them are at 137'.

Pony Express: One of the first Zamperla MotoCoasters (the 1st Motocoaster at Darien Lake just opened a few weeks earlier)

Sierra Sidewinder: First Mack uncontrolled spinning coaster.

Silver Bullet: No where near being the 1st B&M invert, however it has a very unique layout especially the overbank.

Timberline Twister: The last Bradley & Kaye coaster built, one of the two Bradley & Kaye coasters to still be operating (other one at SFMM).

Xcelerator: First Hydraulic launched coaster.

----

Corkscrew: First modern day inverting coaster.

Wacky Soap Box Racers: One of the few steeplechase-like coasters.

Windjammer: A failed attempt at a Looping Wild Mouse that is found in Asia.

Thus, most of the coasters have some type of first and have a unique layout.

Is there a reason why every coaster that Knotts has built is from a different manufacturer?

Wacky Soap Box Racers & Corkscrew both were built by Arrow, but all the present coasters are built by different manufacturers, I think it's more a coincidence.

Flip Leviathan and then look at Knott's on google earth. Leviathan flipped could easily fit into Knott's with the station and brake run in PP's area. Sure the brake run would probably have to be adjusted as well as some of the hills in the layout so that they could go on top of the parking lot near the hotel but you could see it fitting in.

Here is a quote from February of Raffi Karprelyan, the General Manager at Knotts.

Cedar Fair is a very thrill driven company. When they acquired the park, they added what they knew. Now, be that as it may, it has enhanced us. We have more coasters than we did before. Knott's had coasters before Cedar Fair, but not to this degree. At this point, I think we are in the right spot in that regard.

While sometimes companies say things to be misleading, I don't think that is the case here. I certainly don't see that as meaning "We are gonna build the biggest and tallest circuit coaster in all of CA."

Dark rides are big in the industry right now, and we have been talking with a few manufacturers about that possibility, just feeling things out.

February is too close from them to just be "talking" about doing it, but still a possibility. I do think at this point Knotts needs a bigger crowd bringer than whatever new dark ride they are capable of building, but I wouldn't rule it out.

http://micechat.com/blogs/in-the-parks/3322-meet-knotts-new-manager-disneylands-splash-woes-dca-construction-progress.html

I don't know why people are worried about what they put in next. There is a 99% chance that it will be a great addition to the park and be thrilling and fun, and, fit nicely. And even if it falls to that 1% it will still be a very good addition. If I was everyone I would not worry about it, just be excited to see what they do next. The park will still be beautiful just with another thrill.

From my recent visit I just have to say running ONE BOAT on Perilous Plunge totally sucks.

From my recent visit I just have to say running ONE BOAT on Perilous Plunge totally sucks.

Yah I waited in what seemed like a short line for PP that took up only the switchbacks next to the station. The line lasted an hour and half way through the line one of the seats broke down and had to be closed off. The ride was awesome though but considering how many problems it has I will not be sad about its removal.

^Perilous Plunge is the only ride I've ever been on where one switchback takes over 20 minutes. Even Tatsu's line doesn't usually move that slow. When they run both boats, it still is one dispatch every 4-5 minutes and the line takes nearly as long. I'd be surprised if they ever got 300 people on it in an hour. I'm hoping it's not too crowded next week when I go to get my last ride(s) in, as I'd like to ride twice if I can. Maybe I'll just go early and come back closer to closing.

As for the rumored 2013 attraction, I'd be somewhat surprised if it isn't a coaster (assuming there will actually be a 2013 attraction). I hope it's a B&M, ideally a Mega/Giga coaster or a Diving Machine, but I'm sure whatever Knott's gets will not disappoint. If I had to bet on the future of the park, I would say 2013 will be a coaster, 2014 will be a dark ride, and 2015 will be the GhostRider refurbishment. I would also guess that the park will never go above 10 coasters, and wouldn't be surprised to see Boomerang, Timberline Twister, or even Montezooma's Revenge closed for a replacement attraction before the end of the decade.

As for the rumored 2013 attraction, I'd be somewhat surprised if it isn't a coaster (assuming there will actually be a 2013 attraction). I hope it's a B&M, ideally a Mega/Giga coaster or a Diving Machine, but I'm sure whatever Knott's gets will not disappoint. If I had to bet on the future of the park, I would say 2013 will be a coaster, 2014 will be a dark ride, and 2015 will be the GhostRider refurbishment. I would also guess that the park will never go above 10 coasters, and wouldn't be surprised to see Boomerang, Timberline Twister, or even Montezooma's Revenge closed for a replacement attraction before the end of the decade.

Honestly, I don't see Montezooma going anywhere anytime soon. The coaster is a classic and it takes up almost no space. I hope I'm correct...

Though, I do hope Boomerang is going soon.