TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

Since I have never experienced a B&M or Intamin hyper coaster, I'm happy with whatever comes to the park. As far as Screamin Swing, it is one of my favorite flat rides in the park and would be sad to see it leave. Even if they're not making any money from it, hopefully they could just install a larger version of the ride so that everyone in the park could enjoy it.

^ And generally when major thrill rides are removed they are replaced with another thrill ride. Id say with PP gone that's enough room to get the station, transfer track, maintenance shed, most of the lift hill, brake run and possible splash down of a giga/hyper in as well as maybe parts of the layout going over the area where PP once stood. Then its just a matter of building a fun layout that works for the neighbors and all the loving fans like us.

My only problem with another B&M in the park is the size of the track and supports, and how dominating they are in a park the size of Knott's. We see this with Silver Bullet, how the ride practically takes up big chunks of the park, even with it being spread out in different areas. To me Silver Bullet has a sea of huge support beams which really put an eyesore in some of the more elegant areas of the park, and that ride is only 150 feet tall.

Can't imagine how a 200/300 foot coaster would miniaturize the park even more.

^Along the same idea, B&M supports are much much wider. Look at Leviathan, its supports go way out from the track on the lift, where something like i305's supports are much more narrow. And the fact there there are less supports overall on that style of coaster. It would seem logistically easier to go with Intimin.

Yah Intamin seems like the better choice for this one. But if CF purchased a 3 coaster deal with B&M Knott's may not actually have a choice. I am worried though that if B&M gets the job the entire back of the park will look taken over just like what silver bullet did for the edges of ghost town as well as the other areas of the park near silver bullet. I wonder if CF is just tired of working with Intamin and is just going to play it safe with B&M who almost always create a great ride.

^ Maybe the deal was something along the lines of: Your chains next three coasters must all be B&M's and they must be purchased within 2 years. In return you will get a 10% discount on the cost of our products for these three coasters only. This is just hypothetical on what the deal could be like if there is one.

Yah Intamin seems like the better choice for this one. But if CF purchased a 3 coaster deal with B&M Knott's may not actually have a choice. I am worried though that if B&M gets the job the entire back of the park will look taken over just like what silver bullet did for the edges of ghost town as well as the other areas of the park near silver bullet. I wonder if CF is just tired of working with Intamin and is just going to play it safe with B&M who almost always create a great ride.

This 'B&M' contract has been mentioned twice recently. Do we have any actual statements or proof that such a contact exists? I know they have done this in the past so I'm not saying its totally unreasonable, but id like to know for sure.

As well, if the contract does exist, we don't know that the coaster will be going to Knotts.

Edited by COASTER FREAK 11

Yah I totally forgot to factor in that Knott's is a year-round park. Also do you think a giga/hyper would get approved for knott's? Something tells me a giant 300+ or 200+ (if its hyper) coaster that sticks out of the skyline multiple times with blaring colors isn't going to be such a hit with the neighbors, especially since the coaster would most likely be constructed on the edges of the park. Even Xcelerator at 205 feet is not as bad as a hyper because it has only one point at which it is very high which would be that awesome airtime filled tophat unlike a hyper which typically has plenty of big airtime hills which are all pretty visible. The problem only would get worse if the coaster turns out to be a giga.

See but Knott's already has the Sky Cabin, Windseeker, Xcelerator, and Supreme Scream in the sky so I think the neighbors already have their skyline intruded. And the surrounding area of Buena Park has nice weather but is an already metropolitan area with no real views....

If the talk now is really Intmain or B&M, I can party because we are that much closer to a coaster!

And about the year round part.... year round parks are only open on weekends so they could still easily construct during the week

^ All of what your saying is true. All we can do at this point is speculate. The only reasons we may have why Knott's would get a coaster from B&M is that: A: such a contract about purchasing 3 rides does exist after all. B: Screamscape seems to believe that B&M will build Knott's next coaster. C: Knott's is going to remove a ride built by Intamin that we can all agree was a bit of a dud and therefore Knott's does not want another project, especially a big coaster, from Intamin and so will use the people who built Silver Bullet instead. These are the possible reasons I came up with.

^ -sigh-

Ugh, in all honesty, I don't really want to see a Giga in Perilous Plunge's spot. I think the space could be suited to something else....

Many people I've talked to are so over joyed and blindly celebrating something we don't even know is real yet.

After seeing what happened with Silver Bullet and how the beautiful lakefront was ripped to shreds, I'd hate to see the same thing happen to Roaring Twenties or the edges of Ghost Town.

I know all the coasters enthusiasts are thinking giga and saying "gimme gimme gimme", but do you think that this would benefit the park even more than say, an attraction that was suited for the whole family? (smaller scale family coaster or something?)

Yeah yeah yeah, blah blah blah, Silver Bullet was the last major thrill ride, but the park has been focusing on other aspects.

Even for what it is, I think Pony express is still a decent ride, especially for the tiny space they managed to jam it into. Same with Sierra Sidewinder.

Making a coaster that integrated well into its surroundings would be much better than plopping a concrete jungle onto a Boardwalk area.

But I digress.

I still have a sinking suspicion Boomerang isn't in the clear yet either. I mean, the ride is 22 years old...one of the oldest Boomerangs out there. I suspect we'll probably be seeing another announcement later this year for its removal as well.

^^ I really get what your saying and I totally have no idea (nor does anyone else) if a major thrill ride will be put in PP's spot. I just don't think another family coaster will help the park as much as another major or medium thrill ride considering there has been a 8 year drought of a new thrill ride. Now that I think about it I think I would be just as happy to get something along the lines of Divertical. That is something that I believe slightly older families can enjoy with children who maybe aren't all teens yet but still love riding coasters and water rides.

^ Thanks for clearing that up.

^ All of what your saying is true. All we can do at this point is speculate. The only reasons we may have why Knott's would get a coaster from B&M is that: A: such a contract about purchasing 3 rides does exist after all. B: Screamscape seems to believe that B&M will build Knott's next coaster. C: Knott's is going to remove a ride built by Intamin that we can all agree was a bit of a dud and therefore Knott's does not want another project, especially a big coaster, from Intamin and so will use the people who built Silver Bullet instead. These are the possible reasons I came up with.

I agree with what you said too. I mean Intamin seems good just because of the B&M roar, but I guess that isn't a huge issue, or another words is indeed an issue that could be solved.

Intamin also sounds good because of lack of supports on their lift hills and just general layout. I wonder if you took out the KOD building and put the HVAC for Johnnys somewhere else if you could fit a coaster like skyrush inside the KOD building area as well as PP. Maybe you could have the station in KOD's area as well as the lift and then have most of the layout in PP and then have the final moments and brake run back in KOD's area. Im still new to this site but would love if someone could post a birds eye view of PP and KOD so we could try and see if it would be possible to fit a skyrush like coaster in that area.