TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

BREAKING NEWS: Perilous Plunge closing 9/3/2012 (click here)
“Perilous Plunge has carried thousands of visitors over its 12 year tenure at Knott’s,” said Raffi Kaprelyan, general manager of Knott’s Berry Farm, “so we wanted to invite guests out to give it a proper send off.”

Source: MiceChat.com

Best. News. EVER. I HATED that ride, plus it was a nightmare to work.

edit: When there were breezes, the water would flow either toward boomerang (The farthest recorded was fiesta village) or toward western... free carwash!

Edited by Rocket Rodder

Curious, did PP hold any records for water rides..... like does it hold the steepest drop for a water ride or something?

Main reason I am asking (on my KD train of thought), KD said they were breaking records again... just curious.

When it first opened it was the tallest and steepest water ride in the world. I thought Hydro later bested it for something, but now I can't find anything to support that. Anyways, since then, Pilgrim's Plunge and DiVertical have both beat it for height. So it might still hold the record for steepest drop, but if not, it's still big enough where they could certainly claim some sort of regional record.

Anyways, I like the idea of moving it to one of the Soak City water parks. I've always thought it would've worked better there, given how drenching it is. The only problem I see there is it wouldn't have any freshness in the market, I don't know if any of the parks have room for it, and at this point CF probably just wants to be done with it altogether.

Moving it to one of the waterparks is probably something that could work. Doesn't even have to be one of the Soak City's. Send it to KD, Dorney, etc that has an attached waterpark. I know Dorney already has a chute the chutes but it's location is pretty close to the waterpark where it could serve dual purposes. Just take that out and put this in.

The problem is that this thing should never have been sold to a year-around park. PP might work at a seasonal park where they can run two boats the entire year, but, even with two boats, the capacity can be quite low. When it was running one boat (like it did most of the time at Knott's) you could get stuck in a 1-2 hour wait while everything else was a walk-on.

I like to take pictures of rides (even though I haven't posted a photo tr in a while), and I have never gotten a good picture of this, mainly because the cycle times would take too long, and I would become inpatient for a boat to come along. Although the down time may be comparable to a Flying Dutchman, all three of them are among the most popular rides in all of the parks they are located in. This is simply a boat ride. I do not believe it would be justified to relocate it to a park.

However, if they moved it to a Cedar Fair water park. This might work, considering the low capacity. It may be low, but, compared to most water slides, it is not bad.

Knotts doesn't need another water ride, they already have Big Foot Rapids and the Log Ride. And if they turn the water falls back on for Big Foot Rapids they will have one ride that can soak you like PP did. Also lets not forget that Soak City is literally right across the street.

If Knott's turn the waterfalls back on on the Big Foot Rapids, then a water ride might not be needed. However, I have not gotten wet on the Big Foot Rapids in YEARS, and the log ride is out of the question of wetness. Riptide used to get me very wet and extremely cooled off during the summer season, but the water features have been since turned off by Knott's due to the "corrosive effects of the water on the ride's hardware" as an employee once told me (although, I have no idea whether the employee had any clue what he was talking about). I don't understand this statement as Talocan in Germany has been functioning perfectly fine with water features just as long as Riptide's existence.

So, IF Knott's can solve the issue of the lack of wetness on their water rides, then I am completely with the idea of a new roller coaster as Pony Express definitely did not live up to the hype I had hoped for those many years ago. Knott's are in serious need oWf a new thrill ride, in particular, a coaster. Please fulfill those giga coaster rumors that sprang up before Windseeker!

Edited by FilmoreISnAZN

Knott's seriously doesn't need this. I mean your looking at a park that gets 100 tops. Magic Mountain has the same set of water rides but like averages 100. I never got to ride the 1st gen, only the 2nd gen with the stupid OTSRs. So it had no thrill factor and it got you WAY too wet to enjoy, like uncomfortably soaked for the rest of the day. Opening this up for a new coaster is great, like mentioned the Boardwalk has no historical value so it's not like they're ruining anything again And like I said if they can do some other demo beside this (Boomerang, KOD) then they could definitely fit a coaster.

No! Say it ain't so! I'll always hold a special place in my heart for PP. (I have many fond memories of my friends and me on the ride.) I think the ride experience is crazy awesome (especially the airtime coming down the first drop). And call me crazy, but I find PP one of the most photogenic rides anywhere. I absolutely love the bright colors up against California palm trees and a blue sky. I have two framed photos of the ride in my room...

Also, I have to wonder if this removal has anything to do with Windseeker's sudden location change last year... Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part, but I have a feeling there are big plans for the area.

No! Say it ain't so! I'll always hold a special place in my heart for PP. (I have many fond memories of my friends and me on the ride.) I think the ride experience is crazy awesome (especially the airtime coming down the first drop). And call me crazy, but I find PP one of the most photogenic rides anywhere. I absolutely love the bright colors up against California palm trees and a blue sky. I have two framed photos of the ride in my room...

Also, I have to wonder if this removal has anything to do with Windseeker's sudden location change last year... Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part, but I have a feeling there are big plans for the area.

Oh it's so, and many of us have already thrown a "Good Riddance!" Party.

Rode it once a long, long time ago. And I do believe that was the only time I ever saw it run, as I recall it being closed every other time I've been to Knott's. You won't be missed, PP.

I'd say they're getting the long-rumored hyper as a replacement, but it already went to Canada...

dt

It may sound amateur, but do Johnny Rockets and Kingdom of the Dinosaurs share the same building? I'm a little confused on where kingdom of the dinosaurs used to be.

^^^And I'm pretty sure those are other properties, Knott's is pretty land locked, they had to go through a lot just to get GhostRider to cross the street so idk if they could use two of those open fields. Not to mention they're RIGHT next to residential.

^^It's rumored that Knott's asked for permission to build across Beach Blvd and/or La Palma and were denied by the city. With that said, using a parking lot for expansion won't be an option.

^Yes, Johnny Rockets and KOD share the same building. KOD was upstairs. The building isn't the same size upstairs anymore as it was modified to house Johnny Rockets' kitchen ventilation system. Most of the building is unsafe and a lot renovation would be required to bring the building up to code in general let alone add a dark ride. Not impossible but not sure the park would want to invest time and money into that. I personally would love to see a high quality dark ride but don't think it's going to happen anytime soon.

Even if they had the need, and the approval from the city, those two lots are next to houses. And unless the coaster was in a soundproof tube, the NIMBY Neighbors would fight tooth and nail to stop it. The only option for parking lot expansion is their main lot. But they STILL need approval from Buena Park. All in all, its not a likely option, but anything can happen.

I'm sad to see this ride closing. I can't for the life of me remember if I was there for media day with PP (it was canceled a few times if I recall) but regardless I was on the ride right around then. The drop was great and the size of the splash was incredable. I never thought the ride was the same after they changed from that 1st generation of boats, the splash became smaller and that made the ride a little less fun. As far as why Knott's is removing it, the thing has been basically a disaster (in terms of upkeep and problems) since before it opened. I was surprised that they didn't remove it a few years ago to be honest.