TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

Well, it's about time! Although I would have preferred to have the ride relocated to Soak City. It would have worked really well over there. With KOD's building, it would be great to see the structure used as an indoor a/c station, with the gift store on the lower level. It would be great to see Knott's transform that whole area. It's great they have restored some of the charm of Ghost Town, so I am hopeful something creative will be done.

I have fond memories of riding it opening year. That drop was insane with just the lap bar. You did get ultra soaked though. I brought basically beach clothes in a backpack and changed in the bathrooms before riding it. Wet shoes are no bueno.

Ugh. Not happy about this news since I really liked Perilous Plunge, though I totally see the reasons for why they're taking it out. I'm hoping they put in something really good to replace it.

I'll just post a few pics of an NL coaster I made a month or two back using PP's spot and Skyrush as an inspiration.KBFCoaster-120626135527002.jpg.ae62a9505bdc9ce21adf869e4d4cb1fd.jpg

First drop into a sweeping turn and an extreme airtime hill over the midway.

KBFCoaster-120626135716001.jpg.37e5c99e86880a90fb08fc8137007fac.jpg

After the airtime hill it does a little slalom in the space currently occupied by vendors in the midway.

KBFCoaster-120626135702000.jpg.90d3511376159b1612b313886c9d167a.jpg

That leads into an overbank over what would become the entrance and then into another airtime hill.

KBFCoaster-120626135743003.jpg.ff12be4338ff3a56be33866e6b022a2f.jpg

After that is a low, flat turn and then a twisty airtime hill followed by another overbank and airtime hill.

The ride then ends with a hop up into another turn and a final little hop into the brakes.

Also note that even with a 45* lift hill I could only fit in a 53 meter tall hill into PP's spot.

So, where will Perilous Plunge go? Bet you anything, it will be making way to Cedar Fair's attic, Dorney Park.

I doubt the ride will be relocated to another CF park. It will probably either be scrapped or sent to a Brazilian theme park.

Perilous Plunge is one of my favorite water rides, so this is disappointing news. I guess I'll need to advance my scheduled September visit a couple weeks so I can get on this a couple more times before it closes (I'll probably go the last week of August). I really hope Perilous Plunge sees new life elsewhere, either at another Cedar Fair park (Dorney ) or just a different park in general. It's only a middle-aged ride, and just has issues that make it unsuitable for a major park like Knott's.

As for what might replace it (either next year or (more likely) 2014), I'd really like to see Knott's get a second B&M. I think a B&M Mega Coaster would be an excellent fit for the park, as they are the only major Cedar Fair park without some type of Mega/Hyper coaster, but anything else by B&M would be excellent. Honestly, I'm hoping it's not a giga, as I think that would dominate the park a little too much, and I'm hoping it's not an Intamin as I haven't been a huge fan of their more recent designs (although they seem popular with enthusiasts and the public alike). Another great fit would be a GCI if the park wants a second wooden coaster, but I have a feeling that's not too likely. If it isn't a coaster, however, please let it be a dark ride of some sort.

Im not sure if Knotts ever got their monies worth with PP. If it wasn't a PR nightmare, then it was an expensive ride with low ridership. While the drop was cool, it was just never worth it. Lets see what they do with the area.

If a hyper were to go in that space, I believe it would most likely be an Intamin after Skyrush; Intamin has proven that a hyper can fit in a small space. (Could SR be the most compact hyper in the world)? Although, I think if they wanted a hyper, they would take the Pepsi Max Big One approach and build over everything. A hyper of this type would likely feature large hills, making a B&M more probable. Personally, I would rather see them build a Skyrush-like ride over by the boardwalk. The Pepsi Max approach would make for some cool eye candy on the ride, but that may also mean they may have to build over classic areas of the park. The boardwalk is the area of the park that is the most Cedar Fair-ized, so no real damage would be done putting a large coaster back there.

I'm not really a fan of water rides, but the original version of Perilous Plunge was awesome. Soaked you and gave you ridiculous airtime. Kind of a shame it was never the same after the accident, since "chute-the-chute" rides are a staple of amusement parks.

What about a new water ride to replace Perilous Plunge? Like...a Mack water coaster perhaps? Or...an Intamin like Shoot the Rapids or Divertical?

We could use it at KD. They took out Diamond Falls and never put a replacement water ride. So all KD has is a log flume and rapids ride. It keeps pretty hot in VA so it would be a welcomed addition. Plus there's nothing else like it on the east coast.

Yeah, I'm not sure that KD would want to be stuck with a used, old, problematic water ride. They'd be better off starting from scratch and getting something like Pilgrim's Plunge. They also have their own water park as part of park admission.

I think they should put one of the new style Intamin Shoot the Chutes in it's place like Divertical!

Seriously though, ever since I got stepped on with steel toed boots as a giant ride op tried to force my bar down on that ride I haven't ridden it again.