TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

I got my first really hardcore scare at Haunt in the original Dominion of the Dead back in 1999. I wasn't too big on the mazes at the time, and was just riding rides most of the night but one of the girls in the group (the same one who an hour earlier had talked me into Supreme Scream for the first time) practically dragged me into this one, saying I had to do at least one maze. We got to the end of the maze and what I initially thought was a person in a costume lunged at me; it was actually some kind of black figure controlled by someone and the arms stretched out to beyond what would be humanly possible, causing me to damn near have a heart attack. I realized this as we exited the maze but when that thing came for me it took me completely off guard.

One of the things I do miss about living in So Cal is being 25 minutes from Knott's and doing Haunt every year. I might try to do one of the Halloween events out here this year if I can, there's Fright Fest at SFOG and then another one somewhere in Atlanta (I think it's called Netherworld) but I don't think any would be the same as Haunt is.

I have to agree with Robb. Whirlpool was a very unique ride and I throughly remember riding it when I was a kid. It was neat because it was basically an indoor scrambler which had an underwater theme, a cool lighting package with strobes, and fishtanks along the inside walls of the ride. While waiting to board and waiting for the ride to start, they played this song : Art of Noise - Moments in Love. Then during the ride they played a type of rock music which I believe has been posted somewhere here before but I forgot what the song was named. Anyway, I miss it and thought it was a cool ride. Aside from that, back on topic. I'm glad the park is doing what its doing by all this upkeep and beautification. It really shows that there is some level of care and I can respect that.

Hey all,

I'm planning on going to Knotts next Thursday while I'm in town (from Ohio). Where's the best place to pick up ticets? AAA? Online? Any local deals going on?

I would have to say AAA because tickets online at Knotts.com are $48 and if you buy them through AAA you would get 30% off of tickets.

Anybody see the latest update of the park on site banned? Wonder if its just beautification/infrastructure improvements or if its preporations for something else.

If it's that close to the hotel, it's most likely not preparations for a new attraction. And seeing all the ways the new GM has been improving and upgrading the park and its surroundings, it's most likely just infastructure work.

Anybody see the latest update of the park on site banned? Wonder if its just beautification/infrastructure improvements or if its preporations for something else.

If it's that close to the hotel, it's most likely not preparations for a new attraction. And seeing all the ways the new GM has been improving and upgrading the park and its surroundings, it's most likely just infastructure work.

dont use logic in stopping our discussions of a 500 foot tall intamin aquatrax

Hey all,

I'm planning on going to Knotts next Thursday while I'm in town (from Ohio). Where's the best place to pick up ticets? AAA? Online? Any local deals going on?

You can get $19 off each ticket with the coupon from http://www.octa.net/bus-destinations-discounts.aspx

It is good till the end of March. If you don't see it there, click this one and it will download http://www.octa.net/pdf/wr_pom.pdf

If you call repaving and adding planters, getting ready for a new ride... People do sit on planters guess that make them a new ride.

That rumor has been floating around longer than the Giga-Coaster rumor..........BUT these rumors were from the "Pre-Ouimet" era which didn't really care for dark rides very much. With some former Disney execs behind the wheel, we very well could possibly see a dark ride.

Word on the street is that only about 20 people showed up for ACE's Coaster Solace event? That can't be true, right?

Part of the problem could've been that the only coaster ERT listed on the Knott's website was on Boomerang, which is not exactly what most coaster enthusiasts would go for. Just a few years ago Solace had ERT on 6 coasters. I guess West Coast Bash extending to cover Knott's instead of just being the same weekend as Solace made it a bit redundant.

EDIT: The Knott's website was incorrect. According to the event flyer there was also ERT on Xcelerator, GhostRider, and Silver Bullet.

Edited by ahecht

^Enough with the misinformation. I attended Coaster Solace yesterday, and why not? After West Coast Bash, I was ready for another heaping helpful of wonderful Knott's hospitality. I wasn't the only TPR member who felt that way. For me, it was a second chance at the fantastic backstage tours, a couple of which I missed at WCB.

The park put on a great show for their 60+ event guests, and I give them great credit for doing so despite the smaller number and a day that started off with a nearly empty park due to the weather. Morning ERT included Xcel, Windseeker, Log Ride and Supreme Scream. Maybe Ghostrider too; it was scheduled but I chose to pass.

Lunch was the typical amazingly tasty fried chicken, plus burgers, hot dogs, corn of the cob and other good stuff.

The Q&A reprised TPR's haunt preview, and then got most interesting. With no park president in the house, the staff wasn't quite as closed-mouthed. We learned that Knott's has in fact investigated the possibility of lavishing Ghostrider with the Rocky Mt treatment. On the other hand, we also heard several reasons why they haven't made any decision to this point. They aren't sure of the long-term viability for one, and also cited the need to shutter Ghostrider for many months to make the changeover.

Dark rides came up, and again the answer was inconclusive but at least a bit more forthright. The staff said they'd love to bring one back to the park. Again, they've investigated the possibilities but nothing more at this point.

I have no idea if the evening PM went off as scheduled. I'd had my fill of rides by 4:30 pm. Although it never rained while I was at the park, attendance was so light at 10 am, it was as if ERT continued uninterrupted until noon. Ghostrider, Monte, Sierra Sidewider and Silver Bullet were scheduled for 7-9 pm.

Again, Knott's did an amazing job of customer service by going forward with Coaster Solace despite lower numbers and challenging weather. Those who travelled were no doubt appreciative considering the prior day's debacle. For me, it highlights the upsurge at Knott's, as well as the fundamentally different approach between the two operations. Knott's cares, and they go the extra mile to show it.

The Q&A reprised TPR's haunt preview, and then got most interesting. With no park president in the house, the staff wasn't quite as closed-mouthed. We learned that Knott's has in fact investigated the possibility of lavishing Ghostrider with the Rocky Mt treatment. On the other hand, we also heard several reasons why they haven't made any decision to this point. They aren't sure of the long-term viability for one, and also cited the need to shutter Ghostrider for many months to make the changeover.

See this is what I have such an issue with!!!!!

So either the staff is talking behind the presidents back or the president is completely clueless!?!? Which is it? Both are pretty bad, and I have to err on the side of president being clueless, it's kind of sad.

^That's not how I saw it. The staff let nothing out of the bag other than confirming, as we probably all suspect, that they've considered many alternatives concerning Ghostrider and the incessant dark ride question. They just framed their "we have nothing to announce at this time" in more interesting terms.

^Enough with the misinformation. I attended Coaster Solace yesterday, and why not? After West Coast Bash, I was ready for another heaping helpful of wonderful Knott's hospitality. I wasn't the only TPR member who felt that way. For me, it was a second chance at the fantastic backstage tours, a couple of which I missed at WCB.

The park put on a great show for their 60+ event guests, and I give them great credit for doing so despite the smaller number and a day that started off with a nearly empty park due to the weather. Morning ERT included Xcel, Windseeker, Log Ride and Supreme Scream. Maybe Ghostrider too; it was scheduled but I chose to pass.

I'm glad Knott's decided to add additional rides to the ERT. The Knott's website, until today, read the following:

Calling all coaster enthusiasts! Would you like to ride the coasters before anyone else can? Ever wonder how do some of our most famous coasters work? Winter Coaster Solace is the event for you! This year we will have early ride times on Boomerang, Supreme Scream, WindSeeker. Exclusive behind the scenes tours on The Edna Private Car and Durango, Silver Bullet and Montezooma’s Revenge. Tickets include a delicious lunch with fall of the bone ribs, fresh hamburgers, grilled corn and more! You must be a current member of a coaster enthusiast club to attend event.

I corrected my post above.

See this is what I have such an issue with!!!!!

So either the staff is talking behind the presidents back or the president is completely clueless!?!? Which is it? Both are pretty bad, and I have to err on the side of president being clueless, it's kind of sad.

The only thing that was disappointing with WCB at Knotts, was the president. He looked really "put out" about being there for us. My opinion - very unimpressive! I hope I'm wrong.