TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

^Yeah, that whole area...pretty much now concrete.

^^I did see that picture on that site and and it's a pretty good one.

But I can't find one from the Sky Cabin before Silver Bullet was installed. That way it'd be a lot easier to compare the image from Sky Cabin before/after Silver Bullet was installed because it'd be from the same angle.

Buena Park, CA (PRWEB) July 06, 2011

Knott's Berry Farm Theme Park will have guests grinning from ear to ear as they attempt to set a record for the largest number of people husking corn on Thursday, July 14 at 2:30 pm.

"Knott's Berry Farm chose a corn husking event because it really takes us back to our roots as a farm,” says Marty Keithley, Knott’s Berry Farm’s general manager. “Knott’s Berry Farm founders Walter and Cordelia Knott came to Buena Park in the 1920’s to make a living farming, and for a time corn was one of their crops.”

Today the park offers over 165 rides, shows and attractions, though it still offers corn in the famous Mrs. Knott’s Chicken Dinner Restaurant.

“If it weren’t for the family farm, and later the family restaurant, we would not have Knott’s Berry Farm Theme Park today,” added Keithley.

The opportunity to be a part of the Guinness Book World Record Event will be open to all paid park guests on the 14th, as space allows.

“To set the record we need to have at least 250 people husking corn at one time, “ said Knott’s Berry Farm spokeswoman Jennifer Blazey, “but we will be prepared for as many as 500 participants.”

To sign up in advance for the event, send an e-mail to pr(at)knotts(dot)com and place “corn husking” in the message line. The event will take place in Knott’s Calico Square at 2:30 pm.

Knott’s Berry Farm is owned and operated by Cedar Fair Entertainment Company, a publicly traded partnership that is listed for trading on The New York Stock Exchange under the symbol “FUN.” In addition to Knott’s Berry Farm, Cedar Fair owns and operates ten other amusement parks, six water parks, one indoor water park resort, and five hotels.

Cedar Fair also operates the Gilroy Gardens Family Theme Park in Gilroy, Calif. under a management contract.

To find out all Knott’s has to offer this summer, visit http://www.knotts.com.

Link

Edited by jedimaster1227

Was at the park today, extremely light day for the summer. Xcelerator was less than 5 minute wait at times. Both trains have their front cars fixed. Also the Windseeker ride vehicle is starting to come together. They are hanging the extensions that come off the piece thats attached to the tower now.

^ woah...there seemed to be a heck of a lot more trees back then. Trees and charm do not draw guests from afar.

Yeah, I noticed the tree thing too when toggling between the two pictures I posted earlier. In a few cases, there are areas with better tree coverage. But overall, a lot more open concrete than before.

Knott's Berry Farm has sent us a press release regarding this year's "Coasting for Kids" event.

Knott’s Berry Farm is asking coaster enthusiasts to indulge their passion for the thrill ride and help a worthy cause and go “Coasting for Kids” on Sunday, July 24. Knott’s is looking for participants to ride the Jaguar coaster for 10 hours to help raise funds for Give Kids The World Village, a nonprofit organization that provides family vacations for children living with life-threatening illnesses. Knott’s will join with 10 other Cedar Fair parks in hosting this event making “Coasting for Kids” a national event.

To be a part of “Coasting for Kids” participants must pay a $40 through www.firstgiving.com/gktw/KBF by July 22. Participants can raise the money themselves, or can have friends donate to the cause through online donations to their Give Kids The World accounts. The top 30 fundraisers will earn a seat on the Knott’s Jaguar coaster. The marathon ride will begin at 7:00 am and will include a light breakfast, as well as a Mrs. Knott’s Chicken lunch at noon. All registered participants will receive a ticket to Knott’s Berry Farm as well as a “Coasting for Kids” t-shirt. Top fundraisers will receive Knott’s Berry Farm Beagle Bucks to spend in the park as well as Knott’s Berry Farm merchandise.

“Knott’s Berry Farm is proud to join with our sister Cedar Fair Parks in hosting Coasting for Kids,” said Knott’s General Manager, Marty Keithley.

“Knott’s welcomes children from Give Kids The World everyday and we are committed to providing memorable and magical experiences to children with life threatening illnesses and their families. We feel that Coasting for Kids will give others the satisfaction of helping such a deserving community.”

You know - sharing the old "Knotts is lost" mantra, I went and visited the park a number of times this Spring and I'm not so sure all is lost. For what it's worth, the company is doing a fine job keeping up the little pockets of charm that are left. The hardscape/landscaping is especially nice - even in newer areas.

Having Oimet at the helm could push Knotts into a renaissance - you might finally see considerable upkeep on the classics in an attempt to retain that 'gem' he claimed Knotts was.

The damage has been done and perhaps it's just how it is today. I am not against progress, but the park has very little logical expansion space left - I can't imagine another huge project to further upset buena park neighbors. However intelligent choices could keep Knotts on the up and up without ruining whatever charms are left. Coaster design has moved into the era of compact layouts and achieving high intensity without having to go hundreds of feet in the air.

Trees would go a long way too...they don't cost that much.

I've been VERY impressed by the last couple of Q&A discussion we've had during West Coast Bash. Aside from them being hilarious with Jeff Tucker at the helm, the park seems to totally get that some of the charm was ripped out of the park over the past decade, but they are doing everything they can now to either keep what is left, and slowly get little bits of it back.

Having people running the park now that are all "legacy Knott's" management I think will really help.

^They definitely seem aware of the park's rich heritage. The Knott's Preserved project was a labor of love that is already inspiring positive changes in the park. Remember, the management that works for big bad Cedar Faire provided author Christopher Merritt the access and assistance necessary to complete the project. Or so I've heard...

Well, if these rumors about a possible Hy-ga coaster turn out to be true, along with Ouimet planing to bring Knott's back to some of it's former glory, it'd be nice to see the two of those ideas come together in the form of a well thought out attraction. I'd be happy with it if they just didn't pain it red...

I've been VERY impressed by the last couple of Q&A discussion we've had during West Coast Bash. Aside from them being hilarious with Jeff Tucker at the helm, the park seems to totally get that some of the charm was ripped out of the park over the past decade, but they are doing everything they can now to either keep what is left, and slowly get little bits of it back.

Having people running the park now that are all "legacy Knott's" management I think will really help.

And they did bring back the catawumpus.

Kontt's Q&A at WCB 2011 was the best one I've ever attended.

Knott's is still a unique park no matter how you look at it. Sure some areas of the park have even changed since I went there as a child but overall Knotts has a unique feel it it. It doesnt feel like it has been completely ran over by Cedar Fair yet. Other then their stupid commericals on TV and the trash cans every 10 feet saying Cedar Fair Company, the park has seemed to operate a little seperate from big daddy in Ohio.

^They're the only park in the chain (that I'm aware of) with themed uniforms, pickle barrel trash cans, a unique branded restuarant, etc. I agree that Knott's is set apart from alot of the chain's other properties, but it would be nice if there were not so much of a gap between "Old Knott's" and "New Knott's".

We cannot go back, but all the right words are being spoken by Ouimet. With Knotts, it has always been a tough choice between adding more and preserving the classic attractions and trying to maintain a theme. In a competitive market, they couldn't just stay in a bubble. At the same time, adding more and more could always end up overwhelming any theme no matter how careful they were. I will always miss those carefree, easy summers spent at Knotts riding Monty's and the Wacky Soap Box Racers over and over. I just hope the new management will be able to maintain the balance needed to preserve what is left, while adding and adapting to what is needed. Though honestly, the rumors about a large coaster really make me excited, even if such a coaster would be so notable and noticeable, even from Ghost Town. We shall see. I doubt any new attraction would be announced before the big attraction for this year, Windseeker, is complete.

Though honestly, the rumors about a large coaster really make me excited, even if such a coaster would be so notable and noticeable, even from Ghost Town..

I think Knott's will probably keep such a ride in the back area of the park around the Roaring 20s area and keep it clear of Ghostown. Its clear that Knott's doesn't want to cut into Ghost Town. The only ride that I could ever seeing built within or very near to Ghost Town would be a another woody but that probably would never happen.

I might be going to KBF next week for the first time since Xcelerator was brand new. Pretty excited because it has been so long and there are a couple new credits for me to get!

I have a couple questions: How do I get the best deal on tickets? Is there a website I can get deals or coupons or any other way to get a discounted ticket? When is Windseeker scheduled to open? I doubt it will be ready by the time I go there but im curious. Thanks for any help.

^^Couple tidbits of advice:

- Ride Xcelerator early cause in the afternoon the heat causes excessive amounts of downtime

- Don't expect to ride Windseeker

- Knotts.com has pretty good deals. I think Burger King may have coupons which could possibly save you a couple bucks. & ^What he said....

- Have fun

Heads up TPR... This Friday, July 15, set your DVRs to record "Man Caves" on the DIY Network. They're creating a man cave for Bert Kreischer of "Bert The Conqueror" fame. Part of the episode was shot on Xcelerator at Knott's Berry Farm in conjunction with a Bert The Conqueror shoot - and many people from TPR were there filling seats. So it should be an interesting episode, and you may see some familiar faces. I believe the episode airs at 8pm, but the time may vary depending on where you live.

Edited by ILoveRides