TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

I was born in 1960 and my grandfather used to take my brother and I there every Sunday when I was a kid.

There was the train, the stage coach, the mine ride, the Haunted Shack, a chapel next to a lake, a petting farm with a seal tank in front (where you could buy fish and feed them) and a merry-go-round. And Independence Hall across the street.

And it was free to get in, and we loved it!

Then they stated charging and put in the John Wayne Theatre with shows by Rick Nelson and BJ Thomas and some bizarre dark ride with bears. . I blame my current drinking problem on Knotts, but I still love it all the same.

^Try jumping off a garge roof into one of those roofless inflatable bounce-houses...

...not sure if it makes for a great video, but I used to do this with some friends back in high school... Ah to be 17 again with the money I have now...

I'm 99% sure I'll jump off of SOMETHING for my video. Just not sure off of what or into what. I may do a few different things and edit it so it's 60 seconds.

We live in the mountains, so there are plenty of natural things to jump off of. Not too many manmade thrill options... but maybe it's better that way! I know some cool rivers with jumping rock areas/waterfalls

^^ OK, I have no clue if there's sarcasm hidden in that post, but either way, I am disturbed.

Aside from the "drinking", I doubt that there was any sarcasm.

Knot's also used to have:

"Jungle Island" which was a huge playground for kids, with wooden carved animals to climb on

An antique car ride (which is now at Castle Park in Riverside)

A "Model-T" car ride (gas powered cars driven freely (no center guide) around a track)

A trolley car in the parking lot, to take you to/from your car to the entrance

A 20 foot volcano that erupted every half hour or so....

Etc....

Yup. It was free admission. My parents also used to take my brother and I down there about twice a month, way back when...

Barely recognize the place nowadays.

I'm not doubting you guy's memory at all. . I just for the life of me don't remember the volcano thing. . where in the park was it?

I do remember the antique car ride. . gas engines and no track ruled.

Oh, and the drinking thing was sarcasm... seeing Rick Nelson and BJ Thomas at the time was actually pretty cool.

I'm not doubting you guy's memory at all. . I just for the life of me don't remember the volcano thing. . where in the park was it?

IIRC, the "Pan for Gold" was just to the left of the entrance (which is now the entrance to GR). From that exit, a little west, is where the volcano was, putting it right about where the candy shop is next to GR Goods.

I also believe it made a move (once upon a time) to somewhere near the Birdcage theater. I'm thinking across from the model train store, inbetween the museum and the school house. (But that I'm not positive about.)

There's a nice bit about it on the Wikipedia page.

JJ

EDIT - I just read the wiki page. Evidently the volcano was approximately somewhere near where the current l0ckers and/or gem shop is, right behind the Guest Relations building.

^I remember it being just outside the walls of the park, but I'm not clear on where. My family used to have dinner at the chicken restaurant, and we'd always walk by the volcano before going into Ghost Town.

Thanks guys. .

I certainly remember the mining for gold place. . you had to walk down in a hole to do it.

And we ate at the chicken place numerous times. . those little biscuits with boysenberry jam were awesome.

Anyways, the volcano memory just isn't there for me, but it's nice to connect with you guys who remember what it was like back in the day. . . still one of those great childhood places I'll always have fond memories of.

Need a little help. Going out to Disnyeland next week and Knotts is on my list. Visiting the park next Thursday. Does that park take a full day to do or maybe just half a day? On their website it says that thursdays are less crowded. It also says June the crowds are also very light. What coaster should I hit up first? I do have a platinum pass so I got the parking and admission down. Any tips or help would be appreciated! I did not have too much time to go through all of the forum pages on here so if anyone is repeating themsevles thats my fault!

Knotts is a half day park.

Get to the park at opening and go strait to GhostRider, then head for Xcelerator. After that do the park at your leisure.

Make sure you ride the Mine Ride, Log Ride, and see Mystery Lodge.

If you decide to eat at Knotts, make sure you go to Mrs. Knotts Chicken Dinner Restaurant. Some of the best food at any theme park.

^^ OK, I have no clue if there's sarcasm hidden in that post, but either way, I am disturbed.

Aside from the "drinking", I doubt that there was any sarcasm.

Knot's also used to have:

"Jungle Island" which was a huge playground for kids, with wooden carved animals to climb on

An antique car ride (which is now at Castle Park in Riverside)

A "Model-T" car ride (gas powered cars driven freely (no center guide) around a track)

A trolley car in the parking lot, to take you to/from your car to the entrance

A 20 foot volcano that erupted every half hour or so....

Etc....

Yup. It was free admission. My parents also used to take my brother and I down there about twice a month, way way way way way way way way way way way way back when...

Barely recognize the place nowadays.

Fixed!

The Jeff's Old Ghost

Ride Xcelerator as early as you can... When it starts getting hot, it likes not to cooperate.

To be fair, sometimes it doesn't even cooperate when the park opens so "early" may not be an option either........

To be fair, yes, Knott's is a half day park if you're looking at it from a credit run perspective, but the Ghost town area in particular has lots of little nooks and crannies that still have the old Knott's charm. There's plenty to do at Knott's besides the rides. They have a few fun, campy shows, and plenty of interesting things to discover if you take the time to look for them.

Need a little help. Going out to Disnyeland next week and Knotts is on my list. Visiting the park next Thursday. Does that park take a full day to do or maybe just half a day? On their website it says that thursdays are less crowded. It also says June the crowds are also very light. What coaster should I hit up first? I do have a platinum pass so I got the parking and admission down. Any tips or help would be appreciated! I did not have too much time to go through all of the forum pages on here so if anyone is repeating themsevles thats my fault!

I was just at the park yesterday and it was overrun with school groups taking end of the year trips. Was there from 10 to 3 and only got on Ghostrider, Timber Mountain Log Ride, Montezooma's Revenge, La Revolucion, and 2 rides on Xcelerator. Silver Bullet had one train and the queue was overflowing, but everything else I saw looked like it was operating at decent capacity to cope with the huge lines (all major attractions except Xcelerator appeared to have a line 45 minutes or longer). If the park is like this, you will need a full day to do everything. Fortunately, most of the school trips should be done by the end of this week since most end next week. In that case, it probably wouldn't be too bad.

If you are trying to get all the coasters done, it is possible to do them in three hours if you are lucky. If you are just interested in credits, I'd do GhostRider first, followed by Pony Express (the line for that one moves slow). Next, do Sierra Sidewinder as the capacity is pretty low, then do Silver Bullet if the wait is reasonable. Since the ride is only running one train right now, it may be a long wait, in which case you will have to decide to either wait, chance it and ride later, or skip it. The Boardwalk doesn't usually open until 11 on weekdays, but it should be open by this point. If it is running, head to Xcelerator. Then do Boomerang (if you must), Montezooma's Revenge, and Jaguar. Although it can be done fairly quickly, I'd recommend spending a full day at Knott's if you have the time (especially if you've never been there). It may be a Cedar Fair park and be dominated by thrill rides, but there are still a number of classic attractions left. Be sure to ride Timber Mountain Log Ride and the Calico Mine Ride, as those are both historically significant attractions. Unless the park is dead, it is easy to occupy yourself there for a whole day if you are interested in seeing everything.

One other note (sorry if this is old news)...Knott's is now selling a skip the line pass. It costs $40 and is good for one ride each on Boomerang, GhostRider, Timber Mountain Log Ride, Silver Bullet, Pony Express, Sierra Sidewinder, and Supreme Scream, plus one ride on the Screamin' Swing. I haven't used it, but it looks like you just go up the exit and get right on. Personally, I wouldn't recommend it unless you have a very limited time at the park and it is especially crowded.

^Now that it's moved closer to summer, Bardwalk opens with the park, so no need to skip it solely on the account of it being closed til 11. Ghostrider first is always a good choice because it tends to have X2-syndrome (It's in the front of the park so it gets a long line QUICK). The hate to wait pass seems like an option, as Silver Bullet and Pony are down to one train each. However, if you're there next week I've been told this is the last week for the school groups so you may not have that bad of a problem. Even if it is as crowded, you'd be dealing with families and not just kids....huge difference.

I too found it a bit strange that they would use an old Hammerhead photo and put that description in. So, an upcoming world record.........and they use an old photo to boot. I am clueless but intrigued.