TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

[RCT2 + RCT3] James's workshop!

Introduction

Hey guys, thought as I have a few screens to show that I'd start up a thread for all my work. Now, for the time being it will be NCS due to the fact that every time I've tried using CS I've lost interest in the game. No idea why as all the sets are amazing I just feel that working in minute amounts of detail turns it into a chore for me.

Anyway enough of that. This thread will probably be solely fantasy work as I feel that we don't see much fantasy around anymore and I enjoy that side the most, when I'm not limited by whether it'd work in real life or even be feasible.

Current Project

Right I suppose I should stop talking and actually get down to some pictures. This is my current project. Not sure on the overriding theme yet, though it appears to be heading towards a medieval approach. I think its mostly just turned into a canvas for my terraforming to improve but hey I'll add some rides at some point I'm sure.

Below you'll see all the images I've taken so far (in order of taking them) as I believe that seeing a work process can be entertaining and will better help me understand how I did things if I ever want to replicate something.

Right here we go.

First image I showed in the rct General Chat.

Expanded on the image above. You can see me working in jagged rocks here which will lead to a question further on in update.

Peeps eye view looking up at the tower.

At the current stage where I've trialed smoothing the rocks out.

And a image of a WIP creek/ stream. In the background you might be able to just about spot the first big ride for the park.

The Question

Right that's all the images. Now for the question. Currently I'm undecided on what style of rock work to go for. Whether the jagged ones look better or the smooth ones. I want to aim for a rockier mountainside but I'm not sure if the jagged rocks work and was wondering what you guys thought about it?

Cheers

James

Edited by 89James89

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Replies:

A.J: Thanks, was wondering why the images didn't show up so the explanation was very much appreciated.

Update 1.

Thought I'd update you all on the progress I've made seeing as I had a day off work and nothing to do. As you'll see I've made a start on the rollercoaster layout but have come to the conclusion that layouts aren't my strongest point so am putting it off for a bit and instead concentrating and more terraforming and some buildings.

Anyway lets take a look at some images shall we?

This is what it looked like when I started work today.

[/url]

One thing I'm fairly happy about how its coming along is this creek. As mentioned above in the replies, I think the rapids track makes a nice sloped stream effect for ncs work. May need a little bit more work but I like how this small mountain stream is turning out. You can also see two major rides in the first drop of the coaster and a bit of the rapids ride.

[/url]

This image shows the first building with a actual use in the form of a small cafe/restaurant with a seating area.

[/url]

This shows the first complete image from the park (well until I decide to change it lol). It shows the small lake at the bottom of the water fall and an rickety tower belonging to a old hermit.

Fianlly the current overview and stage which the project sits at.

Well I hope you like the progress I'm making on the project. Comments and criticisms are welcomed and appreciated.

Cheers

James

Replies:

AlmereStars: Thanks though I'm not using CS so I won't be downloading the set sorry.

Coaster Cow: Wow that's high praise indeed. I'm pretty sure Nin would make mince meat of me if he played RCT3 (not sure who RCT2day is I'm afraid unless hes the one working on KIdron Park in which case he would also probably make mince meat of me) but thanks for the confidence vote.

As for the comments on beign stuck I do agree that the scenery can become limiting but I enjoy finding ways around this and the simplicity of not having tonnes of sets to build one building. The trouble with me is that I know that if I start adding CS I'll try and overly detail everything, which in turn, will kill my drive to work on the park (and probably kill my laptop) a hell of a lot faster than NCS does.

Here's the next three updates guys as no one had replied over here and I didn't want to double post.

Update 2:

Just a small one today showing some more work on the coaster and rapids and our first (practically accept path details) finished ride. So anyway lets get right into the pictures.

No before work overview this time but here's a rather zoomed out isometric overview of whats been done so far. As you can see work is beginning to wrap around the mountain top.

Zooming in a bit this is my current work area where I'm trying to create some interaction with the rollercoaster from both the rapids and the path.

The parks first finished ride is this small Spiral Slide. Nameless at the moment it stands proud as the parks first finished attraction (up until the point hat I decide something else should be there and rip it up lol).

Finally a panoramic of the mountain so far.

Well that's everything for this update. Not the most exciting but again it shows some basic ideas that I'm trying in the WIP stage and hey, it even has something finished in it.

Till next time

James

Update 3:

Just a small update for you all toady. I've made a bit of progress but its a bit all over the place so there not that much to show of one place. I am glad to say that I have finished the layout of the coaster and am pretty happy with it. Now all I have to do is build a mountain around it as I want it to be a terrain based coaster.

Anyway the pictures.

First up is a few colour changes for the buildings already in the map. Decided to mix the colours up a little bit when it began to get a monotone.

This next image shows some more work around the cobra roll and the rapids underneath. One of the things I wanted to try and achieve with the coaster, pathing and rapids was a nice amount of interaction so the ride includes a barrel roll over both the rapids and the paths, both of which can be seen in this screen.

Finally a overview of the project so far. As you can see I'm slowly making my way around the mountain but my style of hap hazard work might mean it takes a while to see a definite shape appear.

Anyway that's all for now. Hope you like the update and as always comments and criticisms appreciated.

Cheers

James

Update 4:

Still a rather small update but as you'll see the terraforming is coming along nicely with most of the mountains basic shape sorted out and the pathing around it is laid out. I've also finished the rapids ride (though the ending and station are under ground so a bit boring, but the outside bits interact well with the surroundings, paths and coaster. I also added a Top Spinner ride to provide something else to do on this side of the mountain (though I do plan on adding a few other things). I also want to add another large ride on the opposite side to the rollercoaster as so far the parks two major rides are both on the same side of the mountain. Anyway lets show some more of the work.

This is what the current work project is. Getting all the terraforming around these paths done. As you can see my work style is rather messy.

Just a nearly finished image of the rapids pool next to the cobra roll with a large mess of track looming behind it. All I need is some more landscaping, path items and some peeps and this will be a finished image. (I think I'm also going to change the colour of the rapids track when its in the pools to better reflect the colour of the water.)

Finally a overview showing the current level of completion. As you can see its progressed a bit since the last overview.

Well that's all for now. Hope you all continue to enjoy the projects progress and as always comments and criticisms are appreciated.

So yer there you all go, now everywhere is up to date.

Cheers

James

Update 5:

Well having just found out that my project has been featured in this weeks Weekly Ambassador over on Shyguys World (along with a host of other great projects), I thought it'd be a rather fitting time to update you all on the slow and steady progress I'm making. Thankfully this has occurred at exactly the right time as I've just practically finished the station building/castle for the coaster.

Now as you'll see in a minute I've tried to make the castle stand out as more than just a grey block. Unfortunately it means its being subjected to a load of colour combination on trim pieces that keep changing, so if you feel something is particularity clashing or garish please don't hesitate to mention it and we'll try and sort it out. On of the main looks I was going for with the whole structure though was trying to make it look like bits have been added over time rather than it all being built at once. Anyway I should probably show you some images before I chat more.

Image number one shows the castle/station from the more developed side of the park. Here you can see me tryign to make sure its on different levels and has at least some variation in colours.

This image shows the courtyard that you wander through after riding the ride. It's unfinished and all told probably a bit wasted being at the end of the ride but hey, its fantasy so who cares, plus there's nothing to stop you wandering around the courtyard anyway.

This is from the other side where you can see the queue winding its way up to the platform. Just remember parents, don't let your kids climb over the walls, its a pretty big drop down the side of the mountain. The green trimmed building is meant to be the keep of the castle. Not sure why I pointed that out but oh well.

Looking up at the castle (queue side) from rapids ride below (or around that area at least). Also don't worry about how flimsy the coaster looks I'm pretty sure there's a support just off the right hand side of the screen lol.

Finally this is how the park currently looks. As you can see its slowly filling up.

Well there you all go. Hope you enjoy this update and as always comments and criticisms are appreciated.

Cheers

James

• 2 months later...

Update:

Right I'm back with some more work done on the random mountain top castle park. Now firstly I should probably apologise for the long gap between updates but I do tend to get easily distracted with random things so this got pushed to the side for a while but just like in the past, I picked it back up a few days ago and have a renewed sense of purpose for the park (and for another smaller side project related to something else which you will hopefully see soon).

As an aside for anyone interested in the RCT2 project that is also progressing nicely and my plans are to release it to NE when its done.

Anyway on with the actual updates and what you all came for, the pictures, shwoing mostly parts of the progressing coaster work. As usual its all WIP so please ignore the empty parts (trying to terraform one block at a time is time consuming but rewarding lol).

This first image shows the 2nd and 3rd inversions, together with the rides interaction with both the paths and the rapids ride below.

This image below shows the first drop (far right) and the 3rd and 4th inversion. Again emphasis was put on trying to incorporate the paths and other rides into the main coaster (which I'm thinking of calling Hydra or something like that).

This is the same area but from the top of the mountain looking down.

Finally the last rct3 image for this update shows the finished castle/station on top of the mountain. I may try adding a couple of more spooky details but then again I may leave it as it is.

Right that's all for the mountain top park. Just randomly though here's another image from my RCT2 park showing the supposed children's water ride Candy Mountain. It's kind of themed after the youtube episodes tough so yer..... may not be the most child friendly ride.

Anyway that's all for now. Hope you like the small update and I hope I'm able to give you all more frequent update from now on.

Cheers

James

You are a designer I often forget about(no offense intended!) and then you post something like this and I remember why I got excited when I saw you had a new thread! You do to NCSO RCT3 what people do to NCSO RCT2 and that's INCREDIBLY difficult to pull off! Well done! All screens so far beautiful!

Replies:

yay101: Thanks and I don't really know. I kind of liked the red but I'll change it back and see what I think.

the ghost: Thanks and no offense taken lol. I have a tendency to post for a while then disappear so its all good. Glad your liking it though as, as you said it can be hard working with NCSO RCT3 at times but hey, I enjoy it and that's what matters in the long run.

Update: Its that time of the year again!

Right first an apology as the mountain park has taken a back seat in light of a new project that I'm working on. Meant as a sort of seasonal gift for you all, here's my attempt at a certain seasonal theme that's actually turning out better than I thought it would.

Anyway I don't have much to share just yet so you'll have to put up with these two teaser images for now.

Hope you all enjoy these teasers all the same!

Cheers

James

Update 2: Working towards Christmas!

hey guys just a small update as to show you where I'm at with my Christmas gift park (in case your wondering what I'm on about with the whole gift thing, basically I aim to have this park finished by Christmas and a download up a couple of days before Christmas as a early gift for you all. Providing of course you have RCT 3, RCT 3 Soaked! and RCT 3 Wild!).

Anyway here's some more images of the work on the park.

Again not much to say about them but that it's progressing nicely. As for the mountain park I'm still chipping away at it so expect to see some more images of that soon as well but as said earlier, focus at the moment is on the Christmas park.

Cheers

James