TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Texas/Midwest 2013 Tour Mini-Updates!

How are the new timberliners?

The trains themselves are great! Just like the other ones. But I'll be honest, they didn't help make the older parts of Hade any smoother. In fact, I felt the ride was significantly rougher than when we rode it in 2010. The new section was very smooth, for a woodie, but the rest of the ride was bone-jarring.

It honestly reminded me a lot of Son of Beast... "The coaster was brutal... Except for the loop!"

I'm not sure Timberliners alone will help The Voyage without a serious complete re-tracking right before the train go on the ride.

Edited by robbalvey

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Voyage has been smooth these past two seasons - very re-rideable. But I would agree, it seems like the Timberliners amplify the non-smooth parts in the track. I found Hades to be very lack-luster earlier this summer, with the highlights being the pre-lift as well as the inversion. Everything after the 2nd trip in the tunnel seemed to drag with no airtime or excitement. But Cyclops was awesome this summer, as always!

Every time someone says "Voyage is running smooth this year" I go ride it and it beats the crap out of me. Sorry, but I refuse to believe that Voyage is ever running "smooth."

What I believe is that looking at your avatar you're a Voyage fanboy and even if you got kicked in the balls by it, you'd still say its smooth.

I get it. Some people like rough rides that give you a headache. I'm not one of them. Fortunately for you, there will be one less person in line in front of you!

Edited by robbalvey

Everyone someone says "Voyage is running smooth this year" I go ride it and it beats the crap out of me. Sorry, but I refuse to believe that Voyage is ever running "smooth."

What I believe is that looking at your avatar you're a Voyage fanboy and even if you got kicked in the balls by it, you'd still say its smooth.

I get it. Some people like rough rides that give you a headache. I'm not one of them. Fortunately for you, there will be one less person in line in front of you!

You're absolutely right, I am a Voyage Fan Boy. I will say that the 2012 and 2013 rides I've had have been *significantly* better than 2010 and 2011. Is it smooth like Outlaw Run? Definitely not, but it is smooth comparatively.

Well i know this is kinda late but i just got to the park for work all i can say now is welcome to six flags great america, i hope you guys have a great time!

And don't forget to visit me at bull! Ill be sure to say hello and welcome you to the park if i see you. Have fun everyone!

The Voyage has been smooth these past two seasons - very re-rideable. But I would agree, it seems like the Timberliners amplify the non-smooth parts in the track. I found Hades to be very lack-luster earlier this summer, with the highlights being the pre-lift as well as the inversion. Everything after the 2nd trip in the tunnel seemed to drag with no airtime or excitement. But Cyclops was awesome this summer, as always!

If by, "smooth these last two seasons" you mean bone shatteringly painful, and completely unrerideable unless you are on Vicodin. Then yes, it has been running as smooth as a babys bare bottom on Vicodin.

Guy "Morphine and Vicodin are a close friends of Voyage." Koepp

^I didn't realize The Voyage was that rough. Many people rave about how it is the best or one of best wooden coasters out there. I knew Hades was rough. It's too bad because it has a cool layout going underneath the parking lot twice and now with a barrel roll added.

Is Mt Olympus a fun place to spend the day with the go carts, water slides, and other rides they have, or simply a place to get the coaster credits and leave?

Is Mt Olympus a fun place to spend the day with the go carts, water slides, and other rides they have, or simply a place to get the coaster credits and leave?

Even if you find nothing else to do at Mt. Olympus (there's more than plenty) there is an entire city full of attractions that could easily keep you entertained for several days. The trojan horse track is really unique and I thoroughly enjoy the massive wave pool at Mt. Olympus.

Even if you find nothing else to do at Mt. Olympus (there's more than plenty) there is an entire city full of attractions that could easily keep you entertained for several days. The trojan horse track is really unique and I thoroughly enjoy the massive wave pool at Mt. Olympus.

Oh, okay. Mt. Olympus seems like a great place on paper, but I haven't heard anything remarkably positive about it (someone correct me if I'm wrong). I like the fact that they include all the go cart tracks with the admission. Of course if I ever visit the Dells (it would probably be an extension of a Chicago trip) one day wouldn't be enough as I would want to go to Noah's Arc as well and probably Timber Falls too.

you mean bone shatteringly painful

Ride Zeus at Mt. Olympus back car and you will know bone shatteringly painful.

Yes, but I'm told one moment of terror inducing ejector airtime makes all the pain go away!

What you are being told is about Cyclops, a woodie high on my bucket list for that very reason. I always keep hearing that in the "you must be 18 or older" back car, the last drop (and keep in mind the train has buzz bars) tries to violently eject you! How's it holding up this year?

Guy "Morphine and Vicodin are a close friends of Voyage." Koepp

I don't know about Morphine and Vicodin, but I did purchase a double dose of Advil for 75 cents in the exit gift shop in 2011, which was displayed in a prominent location. That being said, the Voyage comfortably sits in my top five; I don't know, maybe I have just a little bit of masochist in me.

The trojan horse track is really unique and I thoroughly enjoy the massive wave pool at Mt. Olympus.

Was kind of disappointed that the Trojan Horse Go-Kart track no longer spirals up the Trojan Horse. Really hope that's just temporary and that section of the track re-opens at some point.

Too bad Hades turned out to be rough. But as said, new trains aren't going to work miracles...track work has to be done as well for the train to smoothly ride through.

I think it was kind of premature of the Gravity Group to say that the trains would make a coaster smooth (old or new), before they ever had a chance to ride them. I guess I can see where they thought it would make sense logically, since the trains are supposed to "steer through turns" and utilize individual seat suspensions.

Now my question is, was that new track design on the inversion (with the 10 inch steel) just for the inversion? Or is that something the Gravity Group is going to start using on their new bigger coasters that feature the Timberliners?

^That's probably more of a question for IAAPA.

Damn, I thought Hades always looked sweet and like the new...360 version

And I like a rough ride, but sounds like it may really be that rough??

I did hear the re tracking was on the inversion only...seems like they should eventually re-track the entire ride

Again great pics though, looks like this tour has been a blast.

Boy, I sure feel stupid. Theme Park Review was essentially in my back yard riding my favorite ride, and then they ended up 25 minutes from my house, and instead I was down at Great America having a fun but tough day. I should have planned better.

I am a little disappointed that no one thought Hades was better this time around, but I've come to accept the fact that I seem to be one of the only people I know to *really* like the ride (it is honestly so much better than the past seasons, but I've ridden it every year, so I can completely tell the difference). The tour looks like awesome fun. Guess I'll have to put off meeting more TPR members a little longer.

The trojan horse track is really unique and I thoroughly enjoy the massive wave pool at Mt. Olympus.

Was kind of disappointed that the Trojan Horse Go-Kart track no longer spirals up the Trojan Horse. Really hope that's just temporary and that section of the track re-opens at some point.

Oh wow, I didn't know that was the case. I, as well hope that is just temporary. That track has been there as long as I can remember going to the Dells when I was a kid. It's an icon of sorts, and will be missed if it should leave.