TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Which Coaster Gives The Best AIRTIME???

I'm going to say Dominator after the MCBR, it doesn't take much speed of then flings you out.

Rebel Yell, definitely fun to be flung around on that old thing

Despite the public hatred of it, I love Hurler, it has so much airtime, especially if you're 'in between', meaning the restraint can't go down farther without stapling you, and it's not touching you.

I agree with you about Dominator. It certainly does not have the best airtime, but there is that moment of insane air off the MCBR.

I know exactly what you mean. I love those older B&M straight drops off the mcbr's before they started using magnets on the mcbrs. Nitro, Apollos Chariot, and Raging Bull all have insane air off their mcbrs.

• Replies 809
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Phoenix has the best airtime for me, mostly because of buzz bars.

El Toro's airtime is... not fun. The ride ops always staple you, so it's just pain during the airtime. Before the slowed lift, El Toro's airtime used to still be painful, but kind of so extreme I didn't mind it.

As for steel coasters, none have given me good airtime, That includes Apollo's Chariot, SROS (two of them), Nitro, Steel Force, Wild Thing. I'd actually say Magnum XL 200 did the best for the steel coasters.

Millennium Force. Discuss....

I need to re-ride it. It's been two years! I'll never forget my first ride in the back seat going over the first drop though...wow!

Back seat on the first drop has killer airtime.

There's not much to discuss, considering that MF doesn't have much airtime at all.

I'd like to discuss why you would mention MF when you have a coaster south of you that has MUCH MORE AIRTIME than MF named "Goliath".

^ I would have to agree with Rob on Goliath. Especially if the trim is off or light, then those last few hops are insane with airtime! Sometimes I feel like I am going to be thrown out onto the concrete below! :0)

Oh and of course Thunderhead, the whole ride is pure arse in the air thrills! LOL.... OH!? :0)

While my coaster count is less than 100, I recently rode El Toro. That is, by far, the most airtime I have ever experienced on a coaster.....by a huge margin. I mean, I was expecting a crazy ride, but it took me completely by surprise. The strongest ejector airtime I have ever had the pleasure of experiencing. MF used to be my number one coaster (and, yes, it does have airtime...just floater, no ejector), but El Toro took that spot really quick. My favorite coaster. Ever.

-Doug

From the coaster I've been on, this is my list.

Steel-Bizarro (SFNE), Maverick, Ride of Steel, and Phantom's Revenge

Wood-El Toro, Phoenix, Ravine Flyer II, and Timber Terror

As a side note, the coasters listed above are all in my top 15 overall.

I agree.

Millennium Force has four spots of really strong floater air. One could argue that four spots is not "enough," or that they are not (as I have described them) "really strong," but I am convinced that anyone who claims they don't exist at all is simply trolling.

/Likes Goliath at SFMM, too. What's your point?

I loved Goliath (SFMM) and Millennium Force also, but not for airtime. The only good (strong) airtime on Millie is the first drop and Goliath has just about no airtime (that hill barely does anything). I like Millie and Goliath for the drop, speed, +g-forces, and the "helix from hell".

I loved Goliath (SFMM) and Millennium Force also, but not for airtime. The only good (strong) airtime on Millie is the first drop and Goliath has just about no airtime (that hill barely does anything). I like Millie and Goliath for the drop, speed, +g-forces, and the "helix from hell".

hmm

Goliaths third hill has good floating airtime but i think you need the lapbar fairly loose to experience it, and also it seems as though the first drop and the lift hill have been dramatically slowed since its first 2 years ,

i do not recall it ever coming to the boring pitter patter almost stop at the drop dangle over the drop then go route that so many coasters regreatfully take, as when i first rode it in 2000 i had good air on the first drop anywhere in the middle / back half of the train.

I rode it in '02 and it seemed to run fairly fast. I don't remember it slowing down while cresting the top, I did get a little pop of air on the "3rd" hill (though, nothing compared to what a hyper SHOULD get). The mid-course brakes barely trimmed the ride then, so I got the full "Helix of hell" experience. I bet if I went back now, it would be a very different experience, probably dropping out of my top 50.

I rode it in '02 and it seemed to run fairly fast. I don't remember it slowing down while cresting the top, I did get a little pop of air on the "3rd" hill (though, nothing compared to what a hyper SHOULD get). The mid-course brakes barely trimmed the ride then, so I got the full "Helix of hell" experience. I bet if I went back now, it would be a very different experience, probably dropping out of my top 50.

that is very pessimsitic!

the helix is firstly heavenly, i dunno why people would invert that phrase at all,

i've blacked out once it is wonderful!

(but not passed out)

the crest slowness seems to have been happening since, jeeze, maybe even any-time after 2000 ,

but the helix has been and remains perfectly wonderful

Honestly, I haven't been on SFMM's Goliath since its media day. But that third hill then was amazing. Probably the longest single period of time I've ever been held up out of my seat.

Yeah, not an airtime machine otherwise--but still some on the first drop (in the back) and a bit on the turnaround drop.

No airtime during the second half, but I liked the swoopy Schwarzkopf-iness of it.

I guess I just have weird taste. Or maybe it rides a lot different now. But I seem to recall lots of other folks that weren't exactly blown away that day. (Like, um, Robb. Or Mr. Mailman.)

/"Thank god for the midcourse block brake."

Steel Eel - Sea World San Antonio. Ejector air on the first drop. Insane floater over the next two hills. Hill after the MCBR - light floater air. Hills after that have ejector air. Short, but absolutely great ride.

This is beating out Mamba (WoF) and Goliath (SFMM). :]

yes,

this is the greatest steel airtime i have ever had, i rode it in the backseat with no lines, 3-4 times in a row, each time joyful and incredible

although the smaller hops at the end are somewhat painful as most small bunny hills are,

i also got kicked off of this ride for taking pictures, after i had been on it enough to satisfy me.

a definite contrast to MM which lets you walk onto a ride with a camera in your hands, or at least, let me , as a teenager.