TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Which Coaster Gives The Best AIRTIME???

Just to stop the hype train on Skull Mountain, the only bad thing about that back row, there's a lot of "surging" in the train (at least the last time I rode it) to the point where it felt like the entire train was punching me in the back over and over again. That being said, last car airtime is /still/ worth it.

First off, you absolutely cannot stop the hype train on Skull Mountain. This is now a movement and we'll stop at nothing to get this monster to the tippy top of next years Mitch Hawker. Secondly, I get the surging thing you are talking about, I feel that too. But I'm too distracted by the excellently bad blaring death metal and two randomly placed half A$$ props keeping me giggling beyond control anytime I ride to really care.

I never noticed any props on my last few rides, gotta keep an eye out next time I'm at SFGadv (Should be Columbus Day, but I won't be able to go if Six Flags doesn't honor the whole 'Dorney Employees get in for free' thing anymore. Those one day tickets, too expensive for Ride Op money)

• Replies 809
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are very very easy to miss. Right before the last turn is a not very well lit pumpkin of all things (someone recently brought up a great point on here - since when do pumpkins grow inside a dark mountain? LOL), and then on the brake run during the strobe attack there is a skeleton hanging to your left.

I never noticed any props on my last few rides, gotta keep an eye out next time I'm at SFGadv (Should be Columbus Day, but I won't be able to go if Six Flags doesn't honor the whole 'Dorney Employees get in for free' thing anymore. Those one day tickets, too expensive for Ride Op money)

As long as you were an employee at Dorney Park during the 2015 season you can get in for free

I feel you on that ride op money though

Also I'm loving the Skully hype on this thread. Seriously one of the best airtime moments of all time. Who needs El Toro when you have The Mountain?

As long as you were an employee at Dorney Park during the 2015 season you can get in for free

I feel you on that ride op money though

According to my team leads and area supervisor that deal ended on Labor Day. A few people went last year on Columbus day and still got in though. I dunno. I'm going to Knoebels for PPP so if they give me an all day wristband when I show my ID chances are SF will too.

I visited Great Adventure this summer for the first time, and I was expecting Skull Mountain to be just like SFOT's. Then I got to the station and realized the train was different, and I am so glad I went for the back seat. That drop caught me so off guard...wow. I'm glad I didn't know what to expect!

That said, El Toro blew my mind. The airtime throughout easily beats any other coaster I've ridden. Sure NTAG and Outlaw Run, along with most of the RMC coasters, have some intense airtime, but none of it is sustained like on El Toro.

Who needs El Toro when you have The Mountain?

Whoa whoa whoa whoa now. Let's not lose our minds here.

Even as the founder of the Cult of Skull/Skank Mountain I take offense to this statement.

Even as the founder of the Cult of Skull/Skank Mountain I take offense to this statement.

I was just playin. Toro is bae, and I worked as a ride op with her all summer so I'd be lost without her. Fortunately we live in a beautiful world where Toro and the Mountain are a short walk apart!

The Cult of Skull should have a meetup and marathon it one of these days, just sayin'.

I haven't been on the wooden coasters known for their crazy airtime however El Toro shocked me with its air time moments. Skyrush to me gives the best ejector airtime to me and I'd be shocked in another coaster tops thats one on the steel side.

I was just playin. Toro is bae, and I worked as a ride op with her all summer so I'd be lost without her. Fortunately we live in a beautiful world where Toro and the Mountain are a short walk apart!

The Cult of Skull should have a meetup and marathon it one of these days, just sayin'.

image.gif.5bfd8eeaa60529327bfa3ca5e8735eec.gif

20th anniversary bash maybe???

Can I please put this in my signature? It's incredible.

Also:

I haven't been on the wooden coasters known for their crazy airtime however El Toro shocked me with its air time moments.

Isn't El Toro the epitome of a wooden coaster with crazy airtime? Unless you're referring to older wooden coasters with buzz bars or those random pops of airtime from funky design.

Can I please put this in my signature? It's incredible.

Also:

I haven't been on the wooden coasters known for their crazy airtime however El Toro shocked me with its air time moments.

Isn't El Toro the epitome of a wooden coaster with crazy airtime? Unless you're referring to older wooden coasters with buzz bars or those random pops of airtime from funky design.

I'm not a mod, but sure, go ahead and put it on ur profile if you want

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I didn't see a recent/similar thread, but if I missed something please go ahead and merge/lock.

What is the best singular moment of airtime? Not just considering how intense, or how prolonged the moment is, but all things considered--intensity, duration, location/scenery, anticipation (how HOLY SH*T it seemed), or any other notable features.

For me, I'd have to go with the first drop in the back of the bull. The anticipation coming around the curve seeing the safari in front and Kingda Ka, followed by one of the better skylines of any park from 180 feet, then the front of the train starts to slowly fall below view from the back, then you're suddenly in the middle of one of the most intense ejector moments on any coaster. The "RT" hill later in the ride is a different level of insanity, but all things considered I enjoy the first drop for lasting longer and the overall experience.

Thoughts?

1292497351_ElTorofirstdrop.thumb.jpg.308814619b57a329b134cc5971260e8e.jpg

PC--James C youtube

This is actually a great idea for a thread and I'm not sure I've seen it before.

This should be a tougher choice than it is with 300 or so coasters to pick from (for me) but the only real dilemma is which hill on El Toro I'm going to pick.

It's between the first drop and the hill immediately after it but I think I'm leaning towards agreeing with you and saying the first drop.

Honorable mention to every other hill on El Toro, Maverick's second to last hill, Fury's first drop and Phoenix's final bunny hop. There are other great airtime coasters but I prefer ones with non obstructive restraints that allow you to throw your hands up and enjoy it. Maverick somehow snuck in though. Lol

Edited by coasterbill

I'd go with the first hill after the drop because it's the best (or nearly the best) airtime moment in any seat, not just the back.

Honorable mention to every other hill on El Toro, Maverick's second to last hill, Fury's first drop and Phoenix's final bunny hop. There are other great airtime coasters but I prefer ones with non obstructive restraints that allow you to throw your hands up and enjoy it. Maverick somehow snuck in though. Lol

Agreed on every other El Toro as well lol. I think Maverick's two main airtime hills might be as or more intense than El Toro's (minus maybe the RT hill) but they're only for a split second which I assume is partially why they're allowed to happen.

I'd go with the first hill after the drop because it's the best (or nearly the best) airtime moment in any seat, not just the back.

You know, ever since I got more into coasters a few years back, I haven't even ridden El Toro anywhere in front of car five. The back two rows almost always have a 1-train wait once you get past the stupid people crowding the front, and I think I'm just afraid to ride in the middle rows, in fear of losing out of another back row ride, if nothing else. I'll have to try it on a slow day but the back is where it's at for me.

It's really amazing looking back how perfect they got the radius on El Toro's first drop. I love I-305 in the back and the drop is very good, but even being 70% longer and almost 10 degrees steeper it's nowhere near as ridiculous as El Toro's.

I should also mention Millennium Force's first drop in the back at night. Not that it's super intense, but it's very long, floaty and fun and the view is unbeatable. I have a thing for Millennium Force so don't tell me it sucks lol.