TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Which Coaster Gives The Best AIRTIME???

• Replies 809
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Skully's first drop in the last row is a GREAT pop of air.

I agree, Skull Mountain strangely has one of the best first drops of any coaster I've been on because of that airtime in the back row. I think El Toro gives the best consistent airtime, but the most intense pops of air I've had were probably on the Original Cyclone at SFNE and Thunderhawk at Dorney. Millennium Force's airtime moments are some of my favorite moments on any coaster, I only wish there were more. Also gotta shout out Maverick's first drop and the top hat of Stormrunner.

Outlaw at Adventureland has a nice Lateral/Negative G combonation on it's second drop that I've always loved. Outlaw Run and Goliath both have solid back seat air on the first drop, and I was really surprised by Diamondback at KI this summer because of it's airtime even though it was hindered by trims.. Stupid trims.

• 6 months later...

I don't have a particular favorite coaster for airtime, but a few of my favorite airtime moments (in no particular order) are:

-Millennium Force's first drop.

-Maverick's first drop and ejector airhills.

-Goliath's (SFGAm) first drop.

-All of Diamondback's airtime hills.

-Magnum's return run.

-Raging Bull's first drop.

Edited by VF15

Best airtime moments on El Toro:

El Toro's drop; The radius is enormous and the pullup is really late, so despite being 76 degrees it feels like 90. In the front you get really, really strong floater and in the back it's pure ejector from halfway through the turn to the pullup

The first and second airtime hills are extremely strong too, especially in the back.

The RT hill is absolutely psychotic. Words cannot describe the ludicrous amount of ejector you get on that hill, because you're still going fast at that point of the layout, yet the radius of that hill's crest is really small. It's actually better in the front, but it's awesome in the back too. Ever notice that you can hear that clacking noise whenever a train goes over the airtime hills? Ever notice that you can't hear that when you're actually on the ride? The RT hill is the only part of the layout where you can actually hear it, and it sounds like the airtime is so strong that it would rip apart the whole structure .

On a side note, Superman Ride of Steel's first airtime hill was pretty weak because of it's size, but every airtime hill after that had really strong ejector. I had only ridden B&M hypers before that, so I was really surpised at the forces I was feeling. The last few small airtime hills are especially ridiculous, and it's just stupidly fun and you're just smiling the whole time

And finally, I completely agree with that Skull Mountain thing. I don't even know how it's even remotely possible that such a small coaster can give that much airtime at the drop, but somehow it does (it is an Intamin after all, I guess everything they touch has some sort of ejector, haha ). In the back as someone said, you're half way up the lift and then not even a second after, you're somehow at top speed and get launched over the top. I was in complete disbelief that I was getting forces that strong on an indoor coaster, but after riding it twice I could only conclude that it did. That moment alone makes it unskippable if you're at Gadv

Skyrush.

I second this. Most intense negative G's I have ever felt in my entire life! Crazy powerful! Made that coaster my #1. BACK LEFT!!!

other noteworthy moments include:

-All of El Toro, especially the ex-rolling thunder hill.

-Mavericks first drop and airtime hills.

-Farenheight's first drop in the back row.

-Outlaw Run.

--Leviatan's first drop and speed hill.

-MilF's first drop and bunny hop by the station.

-Stormrunner's tophat, and the weird airtime I feel throughout the zero-g roll/flying snake dive combo meal.

-WC's crazy lateral airtime, first drop, and double down.

And finally, I completely agree with that Skull Mountain thing. I don't even know how it's even remotely possible that such a small coaster can give that much airtime at the drop, but somehow it does (it is an Intamin after all, I guess everything they touch has some sort of ejector, haha ). In the back as someone said, you're half way up the lift and then not even a second after, you're somehow at top speed and get launched over the top. I was in complete disbelief that I was getting forces that strong on an indoor coaster, but after riding it twice I could only conclude that it did. That moment alone makes it unskippable if you're at Gadv

The first time I ever rode Skull Mountain I was with a larger friend, and I'm very small myself. I had a solid 4 to 6 inches of clearance between me and the lap bar.

That was incredible, got back into the station and my buddy turns to me and goes "I thought for sure you got thrown out on the first drop"

in my experiences

- El Toro. The drop, the camelbacks, the rolling thunderhill, and all the other floater scattered elesewhere.

- Skyrush. 2 pops of air on the drop. The first two airtime hills, the last airtime hill before the turn into the brakes

- Stormrunner airtime over the tophat and into twists/flying snake dive

- Double down on Jack Rabbit (Kennywood)

- The airtime hills at the end of Phantoms Revenge. Holy jesus.

- Sky Rocket (Kennywood) - in back seat the drop off the top hat and mid course.

- Maverick first drop, airtime hills and stengels

- Magnums bunnyhops

- first car on Steel Force on the return/bunnyhops

- Nitro for great consistent sustained floater throughout

- Blue Streak has both great floater and ejector imo

- S:ROS (SFA) last bunnyhops before the brakes

Although Skyrush and El Toro have the most forceful ejector airtime I've experienced (as well as the first drop of I305), I gotta hand it to Phoenix and that first drop of Skull Mountain. That drop and those last hills on Phoenix lift me up to the point where I'm almost standing up (I'm incredibly skinny) and they scare me every time. Those are probably only rollercoasters where I thought I was actually going to die, not including one time when I didn't have my seatbelt clicked on Grizzly (which also has surprising ejector in the back row, first drop).

I'd go with WC for volume of strong airtime moments. Since the two barrel rolls offer crazy airtime, I count at least 3 moments of floater and 7-8 moments of strong ejector.

I'd go with Skyrush for strength of airtime. The first drop in the back is absolutely insane, especially with the 2nd pop you get halfway down the drop.

I think El Toro gives the best quality of airtime overall. It's very strong, and more importantly, it is sustained. The camelbacks are my favorite elements on any coaster in the back because you are ripped and then dragged, ejector-style, for a good 3-4 seconds. The RT crossover hill is just icing on the cake.

Lastly, Bizarro is up there as well, with at least 3 moments of strong floater, and 5 moments of ejector. The 3rd camelback is up there with Toro's camelbacks as the best single airtime moment on any ride. Other honorable mentions- Phoenix, Cornball Express, Voyage, Boulder Dash, Apollo's Chariot.

^ I hope to ride it sometime

Xcelerator, Storm Runner, and Dragster also all give a nice pop of airtime at their crest.

In my opinion, El Toro takes the cake for airtime strength. Phoenix wins for overall airtime quality and enjoyability. Magnum and Skyrush COULD be the best/most enjoyable for steel airtime if only they would do something with the restraints. But then again, just my opinion

Edited by Angle O. Descent