TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Which Coaster Gives The Best AIRTIME???

Millennium Force had some really great sustained air over the hills the other day, more than I remembered; especially over the 180ft hill. I love the return hill from the island. So floaty.

Maverick is absolutely wild.

yeah, I was just there this weekend and I was pleasantly surprised by how much good air I got on Millennium Force in the front car -- I recalled getting next to nothing on the island hills coming and going, and I got some great sustained air on those hills, and the little bunny hop by the station. It actually changed my view a bit on the ride, which I hadn't always been a big fan of.

• Replies 809
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Took my son on Cheetah Hunt at Busch Gardens this past weekend and experienced a lot of nice pops of air on that ride. It had been a while since I rode it and forgot that ride has some awesome airtime. My son just reached the 48inch height requirement and is on a mission to ride the big rides with his Dad.

• 1 year later...

Best Overall: El Toro. The hill over Rolling Thunder is my favorite moment, followed by the drop in the back row. I think the ejector air is the perfect amount on the hills. Enough to feel like you might die, but not enough to cause pain.

OMFG I'M GONNA DIE: Sky Rush, back seat left side. The drop starts with ejector, and then you get extra crazy ejector half way down somehow. Every hill has the most insane air I have ever experienced. Then the Stengel dive gives you both air time and crazy laterals cause you get whipped around. My thighs did hurt a little afterwards, but it was worth it.

Honorable Mention: I-305 opening combo - the first drop is amazing -blackout- large airtime hill with sustained floating ejector, then you get the low lying speed bump that throws you up and then slams you to the side as the twisty really starts. That low lying speed bump is one of my favorite moments because of all the directional changes.

El Toro has the best airtime of any coaster I've ever ridden and it's not even close. There are some other rides that have violent ejector air but because of the restraints you can't enjoy it in the same way as you can with El Toro (Maverick, Bizarro, Skyrush, I305, Magnum XL 200 and Thunderhawk in the front seat come to mind). That doesn't mean the airtime on those coasters isn't enjoyable (Maverick is just an amazing ride in every way, as is I305 and Bizarro but not AS awesome as El Toro) for a pure "put your hands up and fly" kind of ride, El Toro wins by a mile for me.

Honorable mention does go to Phoenix though as it's return run of rapid-fire floater hills is one of the most fun parts of any coaster I've ridden.

As far as Steel Coasters go I actually really enjoy Apollo's Chariot's first drop in the back seat thanks to that weird pre-drop and Diamondback in the back seat has great airtime as well. Unfortunately if you move up a few seats on both rides it's not nearly as pronounced and it's still nothing like El Toro.

... and yes. I said Thunderhawk. It's a pretty brutal ride but there are 2 points on that ride that deliver insane airtime when you don't expect it at all if you ride up front. Sadly it's not very enjoyable.

El Toro has the best airtime of any coaster I've ever ridden and it's not even close. There are some other rides that have violent ejector air but because of the restraints you can't enjoy it in the same way as you can with El Toro (Maverick, Bizarro, Skyrush, I305, Magnum XL 200 and Thunderhawk in the front seat come to mind). That doesn't mean the airtime on those coasters isn't enjoyable (Maverick is just an amazing ride in every way, as is I305 and Bizarro but not AS awesome as El Toro) for a pure "put your hands up and fly" kind of ride, El Toro wins by a mile for me.

THIS. Its violent, its extreme, and I could do it all day.

Also, Skyrush! Insanity!

Outlaw Run has some AMAZING airtime!!! Like... take your breath away airtime!! From the moment it leaves the lift to the second it hits the brake run it is non-stop airtime mixed with ejector time. It is amazing.

Also, Maverick!! The airtime on Maverick is insane!

I definitely get the best air in the back seat of El Toro. The first drop, the two big camelbacks, and the Rolling Thunder hill offer the craziest airtime ever and even the little floater pops around the rest of the ride are nice. Other than that, Bizarro in the front seat comes close but Toro's airtime is much more powerful. Plus Bizarro's lapbars aren't exactly the best.

Not a surprise to anyone is El Toro, with a surprise 2nd being Lightning Run. It may sound weird to call it the "kiddie coaster companion to El Toro", but that's what it kinda is to me, considering how violent the airtime is on El Toro (you wonder why it's named the Spanish translation for "The Bull"? You're gonna be pale and speechless after riding it. ) and how similarly powerful it felt on Lightning Run, especially that last bunny hop into the break run!

For floater airtme though, I'd have to say Kentucky Rumbler wins hands down. Pure bliss with a coaster chock full of airtime like that that seemingly never looses any momentum as it twists and turns through its wicked layout.

• 2 months later...

If this topic has already been done or there is a thread really similar to this one already just let me know.

Personal top 3:

1. The airtime hill on Iron Rattler that dives over the quarry wall

2. Any big hyper or giga coaster first drops giving pure airtime the entire drop

3. First drop of Maverick in the back row

Interesting topic.

Some of my favorite airtime moments are:

1.) Pretty much all of Outlaw Run.

2.) Pretty much all of Maverick.

3.) SheiKra's first drop back row.

4.) Airtime on drop towers. Especially Intamin first generation!

- That's all for now. More will come to me in time.

Actually, each topic with airtime moments have been moved to the Which Coaster Gives The Best AIRTIME??? thread so this was already done more than once now.

Thanks for letting me now. However I would say this topic is at least different because the other just asks for your favorite airtime ride while this one justs asks for a certain moment on a ride even if the rest of the ride sucks or has no airtime.