TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The ultimate Halloween them park experience...

Hey guys, I came up with this bright idea, which doesn’t happen much lol! My goal is to attend all four major theme park Halloween events in a single weekend in 3 months . That’s right, im gonna take on howl-o-scream at Busch Gardens, Halloween Horror Nights at BOTH Orlando and Hollywood and also take on Knotts Scary Farms…basically in one single proverbial breath. I’ve spent the last week or so reviewing trip reports, mapping out the right plan of action and doing more research to make this as successful as possible. Now I need you guys knowledgeable help and expertise...

After perusing the net, I have found the lowest price (flight) for the following itinerary to be between 390.00 and 405.00. Should I expect it to get lower than that? My instinct is telling me to buy now but the frugality nature I tend to operate in says wait it out…oh yeah the itinerary.

Train from Columbia SC to Tampa FL 10/10/13 -->

Fly from TPA to LAX morning of 10/11/13 -->

From LAX, go to hotel/Knotts Berry Farms -->

Leave hotel/Knotts Berry Farms, head to Universal Studios 10/12/13 -->

Fly from LAX to MCO morning of 10/13/13 -->

Universal Orlando 10/13/13

Train to Columbia when my runs out…

Now, being that I have never been west of the Mississippi, I have lots and lots of questions pertaining to California and their parks. Here are a few, for now, and I’ll see what may cross my mind later. FIRST!!! Is there anything I need to know about the area before I go?

Should I reverse the order of CA parks?

I chose this order based on knotts being further away from LAX and figure it would be easy to get back to LAX from Universal Hollywood vs Knotts. Am I correct in that assumption?

Are they any transportation shuttles from airport to hotels and vice versa…as well as park to park?I did some research and this place, http://graylineanaheim.com/charters.shtml , seems to be the best option from LAX to Knotts . I am currently going thru hotels that provide airline shuttles as well as park shuttles. My key points are if its cheaper/feasible to pay the extra money for a particular hotel that provides a shuttle or just pay for a shuttle service. Anyone had experience with this in LA? Also, is public transportation between Knotts and universal adequate?

Universal studios

Any local discount coupons?

Unfortunately being a Premiere pass holder at Universal Orlando had no perks or plus at any other parks. Yep, not even a discount on the park tickets! So with that said, other than the online price, are any good offers available locally?

Game plans for the event?

Being that I will be there, for the most part, for HHN I really won’t have the time to officially “enjoy” the park…or will I? I have notice that Hollywood’s Universal Studios doesn’t seem to have the line up as Orlando. So with that said, should I wait for HHN to do the “in park” things as well as the mazes or is it really worth the extra ticket to experience the park during the day and HHN at night? This leads me to my next question if I decided to do the park during the day…

Is VIP /FOL really needed if im already there during park hours?

Ok, If I decide to do the park during the day and stay for the event or, as suggested in many trip reports, arrive to the park and enter thru the lower lot should I still consider the VIP/FOL options. While the VIP option looks very impressive im wondering if its really worth it.

Are they any “not to miss” attractions/food/experiences at Universal Hollywood?

Knotts Scary Farms

Is it possible to see all 13 mazes in one night?

Wow…13 full scale normal maze! Now that is a lot…but is it possible to see it all in one night. I have already come to the conclusion I would have purchase some type of express style option

Are they any local discounts for the park/haunt?

Being I don’t have any pass for Cedar Fair parks I have to ask this question again…other than the online price, are any good offers available locally?

Again, Are they any “not to miss” attractions/food/experiences at Knotts?

Also, I have been thinking about ending my trip on a softer note and going to Mickeys not-so-scary Halloween party ! Now, I am a 31 (32 during the trip) year old grown man with no kids. Im not trying to go for the “creeper” factor. Is this an event suitable for my “type”? Its been a while, 2009, since I have been to the magic kingdom and this could be a chance to refresh my Disney quota. What are you guys thoughts on the event?

Im thanking you guys in advance for all advise, suggestions and recommendations for navigating LA as well as the parks im gonna be experiencing, for the first time! Wish my luck!!

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get the Front of Line pass for the HHN at USH, you will need it. 60-120mins lines for each maze.

FOL is not really needed for the daytime if you get to the park at opening and take advantage of their Single Rider lines. Plus, October is the off season for Universal Hollywood, lines probably won't exceed 30mins.

As for discounts, It may be worth it to buy an Annual Pass. AP holders get discounted HHN tickets. In October, Universal should be offering their "Buy a Day get the rest of 2013 and 2014 free AP" deals.

You may want to call Universal prior to your visit to see what the restrictions are in regards to the AP discounted tickets.

Public Transport between Knotts and Universal is feasible if you plan on only going to Universal during the day. For HHN it is not possible as the buses and subways do not run late enough.

Edited by Top Thrill Dragster

Unfortunately I can only comment on the airfare. I travel from the bay area (CA) to Orlando twice yearly, and $390 -$410 is very reasonable these days. 8 years ago I would consider $300 a deal, but now a times I haven't found them much lower than that price range, buy the (round trip?) tickets now. In addition tho, CF gold passes get you into the haunt events as week. Up here in the CA bay area CGA is stepping up their game quite a bit. If you possibly have the extra time(6 hour drive/45 min flight) you may want to consider a CF gold pass, as when you buy it that late into the season, it will be a 2014 pass...including haunts next year.

Agreed on USH. You NEED the front of line pass. And you HAVE to get it either online in advance or the second you get to the park in the morning. It sells out most every night.

Same thing for knotts. The maze lines are ridiculous and you'll need the front of line pass. Get there early or buy it online in advanced. If they offer trapped again this year, get your time slot reserved as soon as you arrive at the park. It is a great maze. Lots of fun and worth the extra money in my opinion! You'll have fun. Find a group to go with if you can. We made friends at the park in the bar and went with those people

Well, let's see.

Your assumption is correct. It is easier to get from Universal Studios to LAX on your return trip. There is no easy transportation between the parks. A car rental is probably the most convenient way to get between the parks. I would definitely look at the hotels with shuttle service to/from LAX, especially for the trip to Knotts. When I fly out of LAX, I use the shuttle services.

If you seeing HHN, there is little reason to see Universal during the day. The only things you will miss will be the backlot tour, Shrek and Waterworld. Everything else is open at night. Also recommend the express pass for Universal. The lines are insane during the event. My general gameplan for HHN is to always head towards the lower lot. That is where the best attractions are located, and a couple of mazes. Kind of work backwards.

My Knott's plan is to usually start in reverse also. I do the pre-scare dinner, ride Ghostrider first, then start hitting the mazes by Ghostrider and move through the park. The new boardwalk area is unlikely to change the traffic flow too much. Some nights it is easily possible to finish the park in the haunt hours. However, if I had the time, I would do park during the day for rides, and then come back for Haunt to do the mazes and shows especially Fri/Sat/Sun.

Thank you guys for all the help and advise thus far. Unfortunately I wont be able to go to any other parks in the area I would have gotten a plat pass for sure!

Two more questions aside from the many I have already asked...

Since Knotts released their line up of included rides, will I be safe to go just to the haunt or are their ride only open during the park hours that I sound def not miss?

Has anyone done the VIP thing at USH? Im trying to weigh all my options, even food!

^I've done VIP at Universal Hollywood, it's unlimited Front of Line so if you like doing mazes heaps of times then that is good, otherwise if you like doing mazes just once or twice then the one entry per maze FOL is better - but keep in mind the lines for the mazes get huge. Also you get food included, last year it was more like a good dinner and you could go back as many times as you want during the night. There is a priority entry and also an exclusive tour, which last year went out to the Jaws lake. Also there's valet parking if you get a hire car.

Worth it in my opinion, but I love doing the mazes over and over again.

Thanks for that. You may have just sold me on that option. I didnt know it was unlimited FOL.

Im gonna ask again about knotts. Is it worth a day trip since im gonna be there for the haunt that night?

Thanks again to you guys for helping thus far.

I would say yes to doing Knott's both day and night. During the Haunt, the lines can get pretty long for the coasters/rides depending on the day/night. And with the various live shows which are not running during the day, you can find yourself running out of time to fit in the rides, haunt mazes, and shows into one 6/7 hour night.

If you seeing HHN, there is little reason to see Universal during the day. The only things you will miss will be the backlot tour, Shrek and Waterworld. Everything else is open at night

I disagree with this unless you plan on doing the VIP option for HHN. You won't have enough time for all the mazes, shows, and rides with how long the lines get at HHN.

If you just do a regular ticket for HHN...get there 5:00-5:30ish when the security checkpoints open, be at the front of the opening ceremony, then head down to the lower lot and knock out those mazes. Then head right back up for terror tram, and finish with the other upper lot mazes (which should be 60 min or less wait times before 10:00PM).

Knotts does offer a line skipping pass for scary farm called fright lane. I think last year it was around 40 bucks or so. Also, if you can swing it the vip option for horror nights is well worth the extra money. It was so nice not to have to make any kind of plan and just go around and do things in any particular order I wanted to. The free food and drinks were also a nice touch and it is the only way to get alcohol during horror nights as they don't have it available anywhere else in the park except for the vip lounge.

• 1 month later...

I've been the last two years of VIP. The backlot tour wasn't bad last year out on the Jaws lake, but not mind-blowing, though it sounds like it will be even better this year with Murdy producing it. You also get a VIP reserved section for Bill and Ted. The lounge is pretty good, the food was a decent meal and you can eat as much as you want and go back an unlimited number of times. Valet parking is included.

Whether it's worth it from my point of view depends on how much you value unlimited front of line. In that respect, it's good value compared to the Front of Line Pass which only gets you into each maze once.

Knott's have improved their Front of Line this year, making it unlimited and with secret Fright Lane only rooms in 5 mazes.

I'm doing VIP HHN and Knott's Fright Lane this year, I'm sold.

Thanks for all your help and break down guys. I will really habe to weigh the options. I have to remember I'm taking 2 other aditional trips to orlando for hhn during sep and oct so I may have to hold off from going all out in hollywood... One more question...hotels, specifically near universal. I am having a hard time figuring out what is close and what says it is but really isn't. I will be a walker (hahaha...not dead though) and I would love a hotel like, right on property. I don't have this problem in Orlando because its pretty clear what is close to universal and what isn't and then there is the on-site hotels. So guys, where should I stay since I'm walking and using public transportation?

Again, thanks to you guys for helping me out...

I used this search engine, the prices are in Aussie dollars and the distance in kilometres, but it should give you an idea:

http://www.hotelclub.com/shop/hotelsearch?type=hotel&hotel.type=keyword&hotel.coord=&hotel.keyword.key=Universal+Studios%2C+Hollywood%2C+CA%2C+United+States&hotel.locId=loc.id%3A35935&hotel.chkin=16%2F10%2F13&hotel.chkout=17%2F10%2F13&hotel.rooms%5B0%5D.adlts=2&hotel.rooms%5B0%5D.chlds=0&hotel.rooms%5B0%5D.chldAge%5B0%5D=&hotel.rooms%5B0%5D.chldAge%5B1%5D=&hotel.rooms%5B0%5D.chldAge%5B2%5D=&hotel.rooms%5B0%5D.chldAge%5B3%5D=&hotel.rooms%5B0%5D.chldAge%5B4%5D=&hotel.rating=&hotel.hname=&hotel.couponCode=&search=Search&hsv.page=1&hsv.sortOrder=HOTEL_DISTANCE

I just stay at the Hilton personally, because I'm lazy. Nite Inn looks like the most cost effective versus distance option. Hollywood might be an option also if the Universal City metro train runs late at night, there's plenty of stops near Hollywood area hotels south of there.

• 1 month later...

Per your advise, i booked the hilton. Now im poor hahaha.

Ok guys...I have a question about the Knott's haunt meal and early entry? Have any of you guys done this, this year? What does the meal consist of? How much early of an entry do you get?