TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Howl-o-Scream Up and Running at BGW

Busch Gardens Williamsburg kicked off Howl-o-Scream on September 16, so watch out for pirates in Banbury Cross, werewolves between Killarney and Aquitaine, and (shudder) yokels in overalls in New France. (Yes there's nothing more terrifying than New France's Apple Harvest Festival! Aghh! Scarecrows! The Harvest Queen! Apples! The horror! The horror . . .)

OK, granted, BGW's Howl-o-Scream is no Knott's Scary Farm or Halloween Horror Night, but it's an event that passholders (like me) look forward to every year. It's a pretty good deal for day visitors, too--check out the park's usual attractions by day (including the excellent Curse of DarKastle), come back for Howl-o-Scream that night, all for the cost of a one-day admission.

Here are some highlights for this year (no spoilers):

Sea Dog Cemetery:Arghh, scurvy dogs and wanton wenches be hauntin' what used to be a pettin' zoo behind the skyride in Piratical Purgatory. No furry little bunnies here swab! Just the scum o' the sea, seekin' to grab the booty of an unsuspectin' wayfarer. Best be fantailin' yer booty through here like a broken jib in a storm, aye!

DISENGAGE PIRATE MODE

Curse of Pompeii:Get soaked on Escape from Pompeii by day, then explore the catacombs beneath by night. This one fits the definition of a typical theme-park attraction perfectly: You're touring an archeological dig, when something goes horribly wrong! (That is, ghouls, vermin, man-eating plants, and the usual fiendish laughter.)

Last Laugh Industries: This fiendish factory tour is located in Festa Dementia. Yes, it's the old "clowns gone bad" scenario. Tell me--just when did clowns become the spawn of Satan? When I was a kid, I never found Emett Kelly or Bozo particularly threatening, but keep your eyes open for that adorable clown Barfo when you stroll this maze.

Sleepless Hollow Manor: The Headless Horseman is back, and now that he's polished off Ichabod Crane, he's ready to party like it's 1699. See what happens when the Horseman crashes the Van Tassel harvest ball. (This maze is actually a rather clever nod by Busch at their failed Sleepy Hollow train ride a few Howl-o-Screams back. )

One big letdown--the Nightmare Express train ride is exactly the same as last year, only less so. Time to revamp this sucker, I think.

All in all, Howl-o-Scream is worth a look if you're in the mid-Atlantic states in October (it usually ramps up as the month grinds on). The event runs Friday-Sunday until October 30 (the park's closed on weekdays). Saturday is usually pretty busy; Friday tends to be light.

Edited by cfc

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't wait to see it all again. I got to HOS every year at BGW and it is my favorite non-upcharge theme park Halloween event of them all.

The shows are always great, and the walkthroughs are a bunch of fun too. I'm glad they brought back the pass to get to the head of the line...well worth the $20!

I'm not big on theme-park shows, myself, but Monster Stomp is probably the best at Howl-o-Scream, followed by Fiends at the Festhouse (which will sorely test your patience for 1980s pop), then Starfright Orchestra (which, in past years, has sorely tested my patience for 1970s and '60s pop). Haven't seen Witchie-poo and Pumpkin--gotta draw the line somewhere.

Here's a bizarre little pic from last year's Nightmare Express train ride (the queue area).[/i]

ObeytheLostSkeletonReduced.JPG.3d16436ca1abeac409771a2501b233a0.JPG

"You don't know the Lost Skeleton of Cadavra! But you will! You will!"

Having just got done the first "official" night of HOS, I can say that it is indeed actually pretty good. While its definitely not any Halloween Horror Nights, its a lot better than the Fright Fests or Halloweekends. Though the weather didn't fit the season (it was in the 90s today) all the houses were better than anything at Dorney. My favorite house was "Curse of Pompeii" actually held underneath the ride. "Sleepless Hollow Manor" was also very good (and is held in Drachen Fire's old station).

The train was a complete waste of my time, as I sat on the far side where not too much scenary was. Luckily we didn't wait long for anything. Best part of the whole night was actually getting startled by a guy dressed as a bush. The whole park was done up really nicely for the event, and you can't beat the price (included with admission). I'm looking forward to returning tomorrow night after a day plopping my butt in the wave pool at the Great Wolf Lodge!

^The only scarezone on the main path that I encountered was on the righthand side of the circle (going thru Ireland and France). Going thru Italy to Germany doesn't have a scarezone except for a loud speaker bridge or two. The pathway going down the Rhine by Loch Ness Monster to Oktoberfest was closed off.

Hello! The best part of Howl-O-Screams is ME in Ireland. Thats right, you best come take pictures with the Photo Op Jack of the Lanterns and post them on here for everyone to see!

The only scare zone that I've seen on the paths is Banbury Cross, which is the path from Ireland to New France. There may be others, but I walk that one to work each day!

I think Sea Dog Cemetery is classifed as a "scare zone," but it's easily avoided. Evil clowns and freaky gypsies hang out on the bridge to Festa Dementia, too.

Aye, it be strange that scurvy pyrates haunt a deserted petting zoo. "Kinky," sez you. Best be careful o' what ye pets there now, sez I.

I'll probably there tonight myself (not "petting" anything, though)--might post a few fresh pictures.

Chuck "Yeah, I got a BGW passport--what's it to ya?" Campbell

I was at Howl-o-Scream last night--what a madhouse! The park handled the crowds pretty well, but they did have to close off the 7:30 show of Fiends in the Festhouse because it was mobbed. Here's a few pics.

CapnSkull.JPG.bfb213f0cd6ead9c42aa9327ee3587dd.JPG

Aye, this be a pyrate!

AuntSkully.jpg.8489cc642e0ff5195c01d5d1f61a16ff.jpg

This be more of a maiden auntie, not a pyrate! Arghh!

ChainsawClown.JPG.72b2bf673e42a395b2c2630617047419.JPG

Chainsaw the Clown--his act really killed 'em last night!

Rubberman.jpg.9c1c354489c0bd40ff4938f52f54c7a5.jpg

Rubberman says, "Kids if you can't be good, be careful!"

GypsyWench.JPG.a4c49b112061a8e287584738fd794165.JPG

A gypsy "wench" greets me at Festa Dementia. Aghh! The beer goggles do nothing!

More pics of Howl-o-Scream '05.

Chuck "Run--it's a guy with a camera!" Campbell

HarrytheWolf.JPG.1474cff07f21b3beaa3540413b3a9453.JPG

Local ordinances require that all trash cans be secured to discourage werewolves.

LastLaughIndustries.JPG.5aec9f5b7187dc3b9eaee8485868b85e.JPG

A new division of Halliburton: "We're reassessing our paradigms to dominate the global rubber-chicken market!"

Pompeii.JPG.6c3e482ab807ca81e75052b1aae15ce5.JPG

The color of evil is orange at the Curse of Pompeii.

OrchMacabre.JPG.529ae2f15b377c42ce04f3d7b4b6d608.JPG

Lawrence Welk and Guy Lombardo have risen from the grave!

DarKastle.JPG.1d178954989a176c728180fb5f84a8c3.JPG

DarKastle looms over Oktoberfest.