TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Rare Flat Ride Help Request - Hrubetz Meteor

I'd like some help knowing the name (and manufacturer if possible) of this rare flat ride shown here at the 1962 Seattle World's Fair. No, it's not a Watkins Hustler. There were 3 large platforms with benches. This ride came with a carnival to my small town in Alabama when I was a kid, and it's one of the first flats I can ever remember riding, so I hope someone here can help me. Thanks!

getimage.jpg.fda24e0b56cf8ff7561a04e6c57f24eb.jpg

3876012816_2167a319e8_z.jpg.8ad81a4759e736b865327267cd2b7fc7.jpg

Edited by thrillerman1

Mark, I honestly can't remember it's name, but it was part of our annual fair, The PNE, for several summers as part of the Playland expansion during the fair itself. I loved riding it, from the start of climbing that staircase into the middle part, then choosing which circle to go into and which bench to take.... great flat. Like a Very fancy Scrambler Wedding Cake! And it tilts! And especially at night with all it's lights on, and spinning away. I have one shot of it in black and white, from way up above, from the Observation Tower, when it existed....

But I still can't name the damned thing, sorry.

It appears to be a Frank Hrubetz Meteor ride, here's a look at the patent for it showing one of 3 of the gondolas.

Taken from http://www.ride-extravaganza.com

There's also a some videos including a P.O.V of it in Denmark

I tried embedding it using the instructions found by searching the forums and it didn't work... if an Admin can fix it, It would be awesome!

I tried embedding it using the instructions found by searching the forums and it didn't work... if an Admin can fix it, It would be awesome!

I'm no admin but there you are

Looks like we have a winner Looks like it could be a really nice, but it looks pretty fast for it kind.

Wow...super fast responses guys. Thanks for all the help with finding Meteor (glad to know the name & manufacturer now)! Great to see the vids and diagram (thanks for embedding the vids, Peter). I really enjoyed this ride as a kid. Yes, it really was exciting to climb the stairs and choose which circle to sit on. Bill, that's a great analogy to the fancy Scrambler wedding cake haha. It truly was a gorgeous ride to see operating in person, and a ton of fun to ride. Wish these rides were still being made today.

EDIT to add I can't think of anywhere else on the net I could post a question like this and get such fast accurate replies including links, a mechanical diagram, AND videos. TPR members truly are the best!

• 8 months later...

I hope it is OK to hijack this thread with another odd flat. I have been looking for a thread to put this one in and did not want to start a new one for it.

This looks like a sideways Double Ferris Wheel. It is a newer ride to the Butler Fair provider that I would visit when I lived in PA.

Anyone know who makes this?

http://www.powersmidways.com/pages/Adult%20rides.html

1098149429_PowersStampede.PNG.48ed9e90abe6600ff6216792b30f6955.PNG

Powers Midway Stampede ?

• 4 months later...
I hope it is OK to hijack this thread with another odd flat. I have been looking for a thread to put this one in and did not want to start a new one for it.

This looks like a sideways Double Ferris Wheel. It is a newer ride to the Butler Fair provider that I would visit when I lived in PA.

Repost in case any historians are lurking. I'd be interested to know about Stampede too.

here it is in action, tho it looks like it's called "Rampage"

[youtu_be]http://youtu.be/kOUEwPp4WQo[/youtu_be]

The Rampage was rebuilt by Wisdom. The Stampede was modeled off the Rampage. I believe these are the only two out. There was an original Watkins Rampage traveling the northeast with Blue Sky Amusements. Not sure if this is the same Rampage they owned or not.

• 8 years later...

I know it's many years since this request was put here. But this popped up during an interview with my father this week.

My father and mother was visiting Liseberg (Sweden) in 1963 (Sept-6), and was sitting on the bench next to the Meteor. Suddenly an axel broke, and crashed onto that same bench, fortunately he noticed it breaking, and pulled his wife (mom) away from the bench. They would not have survived if didn't se it, but they survived without any harm. 15 people got hurt at that incident.

Here is a link http://www.lisepedia.se/Meteor.html (in Swedish, but you could use Google Translate)

\PeGe

Obviously I'm real late to the party here, but I do remember seeing this ride at the Los Angeles county fair when I was a young child, but it was called Calypso for some reason.  That same fair also had a Chance Turbo.

I seem to even remember riding the Calypso/Meter... I have a memory of it generally being very, very mild, but if you were in the wrong place at the wrong time, you'd really get slammed to the side quite hard. 

Sadly, I was too young to ride the Turbo... one of my biggest regrets now.  There's reportedly a company in California restoring a Turbo, but I don't think it's yet been taken on the road.

• Like 1

I remember the name CALYPSO, being used for another flat ride .. at the 1962 Seattle World's Fair!

And one of those is also currently at Cedar Point. Without the cute 'covers' on it. The Tiki Twirl. 😀

Calypso1962WorldsFair.jpg.49eae79b23d799b2e5a15bdbba45b65d.jpg

Calypso, at the 1962 Worlds Fair, in Seattle, WA.

gayway_04.jpg.978bd414267b0153c69b0acd81b5f58e.jpg

Overhead shot of Calypso at the Seattle World`s Fair ..... in it's  GAYWAY! (I am not kidding)

gayway_02.jpg.e3fc8a2f2ca442a51ce76eb6a37253d2.jpg

A GAYWAY Postcard, with Calypso "in action", and the wonderful Meteor, lit up and opposite Calypso. Loved that ride, too!

On 11/6/2022 at 8:53 AM, pege said:

I know it's many years since this request was put here. But this popped up during an interview with my father this week.

My father and mother was visiting Liseberg (Sweden) in 1963 (Sept-6), and was sitting on the bench next to the Meteor. Suddenly an axel broke, and crashed onto that same bench, fortunately he noticed it breaking, and pulled his wife (mom) away from the bench. They would not have survived if didn't se it, but they survived without any harm. 15 people got hurt at that incident.

Here is a link http://www.lisepedia.se/Meteor.html (in Swedish, but you could use Google Translate)

\PeGe

WOW...thankfully your parents got out of the way of the crash. I used Google translate and it sounds like it was the same Meteor at Liseberg taken from the Seattle World's Fair pictured.