TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

PS4 or Xbox One?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I need more information before deciding.

I was far more impressed by the X1 games showcased at E3 compared to the PS4. Xbox Live getting more servers, skype, and new matchmaking improvements sounds promising, and we haven't heard a whole lot about improvements for PSN. Other advantages for X1 include the controller, which many still feel is the best in console gaming, and the fact that MS isn't resorting to putting a giant screen in the middle of your controller, making the whole controller bulky, and distracting from your tv screen. Yes, MS has smartglass, and it is entirely optional.

However, the fact that gaming on the X1 will be entirely cloud based, with used-game restrictions, and online checkins, is turning a lot of people against it at the moment. Making matters worse is that everytime someone at Microsoft is interviewed and asked for clarification on what their policies towards lending games is, their answers are very vague and cryptic.

It is clear that Sony is winning in the court of public opinion by a wide margin, thanks mostly to Sony's big announcement at E3 monday that they will not be implementing any used games restrictions, or online checkins. Microsoft's biggest mistake throughout this whole buildup is that they have not come out and announced in plain english, why they are implementing these controversial policies and what advantages they give to gamers. Because believe it or not, there are actually some advantages to the games being cloud-based. Sure, there would still be nay-sayers, but Microsoft coming out and explaining things in a positive light would have mitigated some of the damage done by Sony's shot at them, and perhaps changed the minds of some people on the fence. Another thing to consider is that while Sony itself will not be enforcing these types of policies, it is very well possible that game publishers could implement a used-games lockout mechanism, and other DRM practices on their PS4 games. Sony themselves has stated as much, but of course they were hush hush on this fact during their E3 conference.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/11/e3-2013-ps4-used-game-restrictions-up-to-publishers

Another advantage for PS4 is they have promised cloud-based backwards compatibility with previous gen playstation games through a streaming service called gaikai. Probably not the most ideal solution for backwards compatibility, but at least it's something, and X1 is doing nothing for BC.

For the record: 7th gen I was all 360 and have never owned a PS3, but I played on Playstation previous gens. I officially have no dog in the fight. I will wait until we have more information about the systems (possibly after launch) and make a decision then.

I need more information before deciding.

I was far more impressed by the X1 games showcased at E3 compared to the PS4. Xbox Live getting more servers, skype, and new matchmaking improvements sounds promising, and we haven't heard a whole lot about improvements for PSN. Other advantages for X1 include the controller, which many still feel is the best in console gaming, and the fact that MS isn't resorting to putting a giant screen in the middle of your controller, making the whole controller bulky, and distracting from your tv screen. Yes, MS has smartglass, and it is entirely optional.

However, the fact that gaming on the X1 will be entirely cloud based, with used-game restrictions, and online checkins, is turning a lot of people against it at the moment. Making matters worse is that everytime someone at Microsoft is interviewed and asked for clarification on what their policies towards lending games is, their answers are very vague and cryptic.

It is clear that Sony is winning in the court of public opinion by a wide margin, thanks mostly to Sony's big announcement at E3 monday that they will not be implementing any used games restrictions, or online checkins. Microsoft's biggest mistake throughout this whole buildup is that they have not come out and announced in plain english, why they are implementing these controversial policies and what advantages they give to gamers. Because believe it or not, there are actually some advantages to the games being cloud-based. Sure, there would still be nay-sayers, but Microsoft coming out and explaining things in a positive light would have mitigated some of the damage done by Sony's shot at them, and perhaps changed the minds of some people on the fence. Another thing to consider is that while Sony itself will not be enforcing these types of policies, it is very well possible that game publishers could implement a used-games lockout mechanism, and other DRM practices on their PS4 games. Sony themselves has stated as much, but of course they were hush hush on this fact during their E3 conference.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/11/e3-2013-ps4-used-game-restrictions-up-to-publishers

Another advantage for PS4 is they have promised cloud-based backwards compatibility with previous gen playstation games through a streaming service called gaikai. Probably not the most ideal solution for backwards compatibility, but at least it's something, and X1 is doing nothing for BC.

For the record: 7th gen I was all 360 and have never owned a PS3, but I played on Playstation previous gens. I officially have no dog in the fight. I will wait until we have more information about the systems (possibly after launch) and make a decision then.

Very True.

I personally like the PS4. I mean who doesn't compared to the Xbox one.