TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Photo TR: WoF, Silver Dollar City, SFStl, Holiday World

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great TR. Are those old Boss Trains in the Batman queue? If so that's embarrassing even by Six Flags standards.

Yes they are, along with an old Ninja Train, and the old Twisted Sisters trains from SFKK. That part of the queue is very rarely used, and you really do not notice them unless you are really trying to lol. I've only been in that part of the queue that goes under the station (the area where the cannibalized trains are stored) one time. And that was at least ten years ago.

Great TR. I'll have to echo what someone else said about Prowler, it just seems like it has great days and meh days. The first time I rode it, it was a meh kind of day. Ever since then I've had nothing but great rides on it.

As for Raven, I went to HW for the first time in August, and while I enjoyed it I also wondered why it was so highly praised back in the day. Mind you, wooden coasters area lot crazier these days, so that might have something to do with it. I wasn't a fan of Legend, mostly because I'm not a huge lateral G fan. But Voyage, oh man, I was blown away by that ride! I still rank El Toro #1, but Voyage is my #2 wooden coaster. I'd probably rate Outlaw Run #2 if it hadn't destroyed my shins (I'm 6'6").

^For me, Raven packs a lot of "craziness" in a small space. It isn't the longest coaster in the world, but it doesn't let up from beginning to end.

Edited by cfc

Thanks a ton for the very entertaining trip report. When I first rode the Voyage in 2007 on a TPR Trip, I had the same reaction that it seems that you did. It absolutely blew my mind! Later trips, it was in need of some re-tracking (which I've heard it has gotten) so it was pretty brutal. I still loved it (I can't help it, I'm a fanboy) but not as much as El Toro that same year. It is still, however, near the top of my list.

When I first rode the Raven, I didn't "get" it either. It was fun, but I didn't get all the hype. Then.....I rode it at night. I'll agree with a previous poster that it became an entirely different beast after dark. It was pitch black in those woods and the trains were flying!

Thanks again for the report!

That was the weird thing about my experience with Prowler. I don't remember which train I rode, but it felt FAST. The sensation of speed seemed much greater than it did on American Thunder a few days later. The difference is that on American Thunder I was lifting out of my seat all over the place while on Prowler my butt stayed firmly planted. Not really sure why. It's the same kind of experience I had on Bizarro at SFNE the year before.

Great TR!! We did a similar trip 2 years ago but hit KI instead of SDC...I agree with your comments on American Thunder...it was the surprise of our trip...I'll just have to respectfully disagree on The Boss...clearly we caught it on a VERY BAD day...and we are Ghostrider locals...but I do agree it has an amazing layout and could be improved...will forever love the nostalgia of the Screamin Eagle...and loved everything about HW...I can only imagine the park during a TPR event...thanks for all the great photos...

Every time I read a TR for Holiday World or Six Flags St. Louis, I feel like I'm on the edge of my seat scared to see what they think. I was extremely happy that you found Holiday World's coasters like I do, especially the Legend. When it comes to SFStl, as an employee at the park, I genuinely care how coaster enthusiasts feel about it including hating when they dislike it. We may not be the biggest and best park in the chain, but I hear a lot of people really enjoying the "small park feel" with the smaller paths twisting and turning around the park. I also agreed with you about American Thunder. It is just an amazing ride in my opinion, and it's location fits perfectly into that park of the park. Early morning or late night after/before all of the guests are in the park, it's just a cool coaster to look at.

Just saw this...

To sort of echo what the others said about Raven, I always loved it because the transitions on it were quick and it was VERY hard to know what was coming next. It kept you on your toes and guessing, with some great surprises. I never got to ride it at night until August of this year, when I will confirm that I found out it becomes even more incredible. The run back in the woods seems to be totally different than in the day, and you can't see anything.

I generally like small, twistier rides more than big ones, and I was a littler nervous to ride Raven again after more than 10 years where I had always considered it the best roller coaster I had been on. I still thought it held up - and then I rode it at night and knew it did.

It didn't stop the Voyage from being my absolute favorite in the park, and it surprised me in the same way it did you, but I do still really enjoy the Raven. And, for the record, my group was split 50 / 50, with two of us loving the Legend more and two of us loving the Raven more, it does just depend what you're looking for in a ride. I think Legend is amazing too.

I have only ridden Raven once because it had a long wait, plus I highly favored Legend and Voyage and those two had walk ons all day. I don't know why but I just wasn't impressed with Raven at all. When I make it up there for Holliwood Nights this summer I plan to ride it a lot, so hopefully my opinion of the ride will change.

Great photos. Interesting to see you rank Voyage above Outlaw Run. I honestly love both and they are #1 and #2 overall on my coaster list. But I just feel Outlaw Run is in a completely different league than Voyage. But to each their own.

Seems like you had a great trip, even if some of your coasters were let downs

• 2 weeks later...

I did the same trip you did with the exception of HW ( went there a few years prior) and I totally agree with you about Prowler. Was expecting such a good ride and then nothing. Was so disappointed. Thunderhead smokes Prowler any day and I have ridden most of the US GCI's. Then totally disagree with you on Raven. Loved that one from the beginning. So much fun and was in my top 5 woodies until last year. Got knocked out by Ravine Flyer II.

That was the weird thing about my experience with Prowler. I don't remember which train I rode, but it felt FAST. The sensation of speed seemed much greater than it did on American Thunder a few days later. The difference is that on American Thunder I was lifting out of my seat all over the place while on Prowler my butt stayed firmly planted. Not really sure why. It's the same kind of experience I had on Bizarro at SFNE the year before.

Yea that sounds like the slower train. On the other train I was riding with my jacket on and the strings were just smacking my eyes at the crazy ending airtime marathon as I call it. With that ride on the better train I would rank it higher than any of the rides at cedar point still outlaw run is my favorite

Disagree with you there too. Rode Prowler at night as well and was still unimpressed. All the night rides I have had on Thunderhead were absolutely amazing. Especially the last time I rode it at night. It was about 50 degrees and hauling some much ass. I felt like it was going to fly off the tracks. Some of the best rides I have had on Thunderhead were that night and I have ridden it around 85 times.