TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Schlitterbahn Kansas - Verrückt Water Slide

It wasn't just the weight. They clearly increased the friction around the low point of the scale model. Verruckt itself also has what appears to be rubber at the low point, presumably to slow the rafts down. I'm sure they were satisfied with a wide range of weights before they put themselves on the scale model. But in the full-scale, the rubber wasn't enough. These things happen. You can calculate and model as much as you want, you're probably not going to get all the variables right. At some point, you just have to build it and see what happens.

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You'd think the park would go with professionals though? And if they are professional then surely they'd know that you are going to get a lot of air on that hill, well, well before they even started to build a prototype.

You'd think the park would go with professionals though? And if they are professional then surely they'd know that you are going to get a lot of air on that hill, well, well before they even started to build a prototype.

If you watch the Xtreme Waterparks piece they say that the park DID consult professionals, from multiple fields, and almost all of the predictions and calculations that were made by these engineers and physicists ended up being inaccurate (which I'm assuming was due to the tyranny of both fluid and aerodynamics).

Schlitterbahn is known for making many of their rides in-house. They were the ones that pioneered the Master Blasters. Without people like these pushing the boundaries of what water slides can/can't do, you wouldn't see some of today's craziest slides being built.

You can calculate and model as much as you want, you're probably not going to get all the variables right. At some point, you just have to build it and see what happens.

I'm no engineer, but I think you're right considering that slides of this type and scale have never been done before by any other company, so it would make sense to do a bit of trial-and-error just to see what the outcome would be. Besides, they were working with a strict deadline that kept getting pushed back, so I assume they did not have as much wiggle room to redesign as they wished they could have.

Schlitterbahn is known for making many of their rides in-house. They were the ones that pioneered the Master Blasters. Without people like these pushing the boundaries of what water slides can/can't do, you wouldn't see some of today's craziest slides being built.

You can calculate and model as much as you want, you're probably not going to get all the variables right. At some point, you just have to build it and see what happens.

I'm no engineer, but I think you're right considering that slides of this type and scale have never been done before by any other company, so it would make sense to do a bit of trial-and-error just to see what the outcome would be. Besides, they were working with a strict deadline that kept getting pushed back, so I assume they did not have as much wiggle room to redesign as they wished they could have.

I still can't for the life of me figure out how they thought 80ft drop + 50ft hill = crazy ride with airtime, so 168ft drop + 50ft hill = an even better idea. Why did they not scale the hill up at least some with the added height??

I hereby declare this the official "YOLO Slide."

They should have known to use tunnel pieces on the top of the hill. That way they could make the ejector air as strong as they wanted, and the raft would magically stay in place. Anyone who's played Roller Coaster Tycoon knows that.

It's too bad they slowed down that video and the "raw" version of it the "camera's battery died" before getting over the top of the hill. I don't think the slide is nearly as scary with the "cage" around it. I realize why it is necessary. But still looks incredible.

If this is a recent video of him going down Verruckt, then they have removed lots from the slide top.

Last I saw there was wood guiding you into some metal rails that seemed to keep the raft on the slide.

So this shows nothing like that on the slide and guess they feel it wont go so much airborne at the top?