TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Schlitterbahn Kansas - Verrückt Water Slide

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sorry, as much as I like airtime I'd rather not get hurt. I don't care that it's "my responsibility" or that I should "shake it off" or whatever if I wipe out going over what used to be the jump hill. I want to be able to go down (and up and down again) the slide, get up out of the raft, and enjoy the rest of my day without having to worry about it...

^ Judging by the speed it went over the hill in the sandbag video I have a feeling that there will be a LOT of incompletions once you get some hefty riders. I mean, this is in Kansas, not exactly known for their healthy eating habits.

^I assume it must be really hard to calculate the speed precisely as it varies a lot more than on coasters so maybe the "best" we could have would be a hill shaped so that the fastest of riders would get some air, but almost everyone else wouldn't.

Also, according to the television - with the original ride profile an empty raft flew off the slide RollerCoaster Tycoon-style, straight into the ground nearby...

Also, according to the television - with the original ride profile an empty raft flew off the slide RollerCoaster Tycoon-style, straight into the ground nearby...

Wouldn't that be a lot more interesting?

Wouldn't that be a lot more interesting?

I'm really surprised there were no restrictions put on the Extreme Waterparks show as far as showing the test where the raft flew off the ride. I'm also a bit surprised that the engineers couldn't see that was going to happen. Yikes, that wasn't good.

I'm really surprised there were no restrictions put on the Extreme Waterparks show as far as showing the test where the raft flew off the ride. I'm also a bit surprised that the engineers couldn't see that was going to happen. Yikes, that wasn't good.

Point #1 - Yeah, I was surprised, too. But I guess it makes for better television and I'm sure it increases the 'fear factor' over going on that slide! The urban legends that will be created around the story will probably help the ride in the long rin.

Point #2 - Frightening, isn't it? Unless there is more to the story that IS more of an "urban legend" and the park is playing off on it, how could any ride company design something these days and NOT know how it will perform once the full version gets built???

Edited by robbalvey

Point #2 - Frightening, isn't it? Unless there is more to the story that IS more of an "urban legend" and the park is playing off on it, how could any ride company design something these days and NOT know how it will perform once the full version gets built???

Remember also that the prototype and first full version both had a 50ft 2nd hill, despite the ~85ft difference in height of the initial drops. They caught pretty good air on the prototype. Of course they were going to fly off the full version. Now how/why they didn't realize this remains a complete mystery.

I thought of RCT when I saw it too... I'm very disappointed that it didn't explode when it hit the ground.

Watching the show last night on the making of Verruckt answered a lot of questions.

It was not urban legend that the raft flew off the track. I was OMG!

The weather they have had during the construction was nuts. Kinda surprised to see the cranse issues as well.

So in a way, it does put fear in you this ride will not have issues. Really expected to see nets over the ride and

now there are some. Show is very interesting and revealing. Good watch.

I thought of RCT when I saw it too... I'm very disappointed that it didn't explode when it hit the ground.

Never could understand why RCT rafts were filled with hydrogen.

That about Verruct documentary was very good. I found it interesting that they make the slide on their own, and recycled parts from Jeff's boneyard. I just wish that the boats would crest the second hill at a greater speed, though. I guess safety always comes first.

How did the designers not realize that you'd get some serious air going over that hill, you'd think they would know that.

The reason why is because it wasn't designed by engineers, it was designed by two guys with no real knowledge of physics. If you watch the show that is linked above, you can totally see they were just using their best guesses. Then blamed it all on engineers that they didn't fire in the beginning. Its totally retarded.

I mean, when they send the first raft, down the 80ft scale model, they should have already known there was a problem. But instead, they just played with the weight in the boat to make the ride work. Which is the reason the full scale failed: you can't control the weight accurately because everyone weighs different amounts!

How did the designers not realize that you'd get some serious air going over that hill, you'd think they would know that.

The reason why is because it wasn't designed by engineers, it was designed by two guys with no real knowledge of physics. If you watch the show that is linked above, you can totally see they were just using their best guesses. Then blamed it all on engineers that they didn't fire in the beginning. Its totally retarded.

I mean, when they send the first raft, down the 80ft scale model, they should have already known there was a problem. But instead, they just played with the weight in the boat to make the ride work. Which is the reason the full scale failed: you can't control the weight accurately because everyone weighs different amounts!

As engineers you will in your career have impossible situations come up. I stand behind the first possible solution being the one that costs the least and takes the least amount of time. Unless we can look at the actual budgetary issues and project timetable we can't know why they made the decisions they did, but a full redesign of the second hill seems like it was at first an unfeasible solution. In the end though, every project should wrap up with a 'lessons learned' and you should aim to never repeat your same mistakes.

A lot of times in engineering you are just guessing. No project is 100%. There's a reason Intamin redesigned Maverick and I305 after they were built. I305 was already open when it was redesigned! This is coming from what is considered one of the most cutting edge manufacturers of rides. If the software did everything for you and intuition and experience weren't required and everything was done correctly from the beginning computers would design rides, but that's not the case.

I totally agree and understand. But when that first raft left the 1/2 sized test slide, they should have learned then. And not built the bigger version with the same design.

I just don't get why they didn't see the flaw in the scale model, that boggles me, lol.