Schlitterbahn Kansas - Verrückt Water Slide

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 months later...
Friday, April 25th, Schlitterbahn will reveal the height of Verrückt, the world’s tallest waterslide. Up to now the exact height has been a closely guarded secret, but at a special ceremony with the Governor of Kansas, Sam Brownback, the Mayor of Kansas City, Kansas, Mark Holland, and a judge from Guinness World Records, the height will be revealed. Founding members of the Henry family (who own and operate Schlitterbahn Waterparks and Resorts in four cities) will be on hand, along with staff, community leaders, and Schlitterbahn fans.

The waterslide went viral after a photo was leaked and videos were released. Since then people from around the world have commented, speculated, and placed the ride either on their bucket list – or on their “no way” list.

Several news personalities are planning to be part of the first official ride down Verrückt; for now a virtual ride will have to do:

*Insert video here*

Source

Before you glance at your calendars, that's tomorrow.

I could have sworn that I saw something about Verrukt that said its height in city planning.

EDIT - Here. Don't look if you don't like spoilers!

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=5&ved=0CE8QFjAE&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.wycokck.org%2FWorkArea%2FDownloadAsset.aspx%3Fid%3D36615&ei=5ZndUb61KqmOygGRgoHACg&usg=AFQjCNHkTfr6g4KGQaYQcx8r98jmyPy4Sw&sig2=X-fMRClZDOVUqkBXHq1NgA&bvm=bv.48705608,d.aWc

The page seems to be password protected if I go to the URL mentioned in Google, but I guess I got the download link URL from Google at some point. I posted this a long time ago in the thread.

I want to say that a while back they said how many steps there were, and if you took each step as 8", I want to say the final height came out to 176 feet. That would give an extra 8 feet from the floor at the top of the platform to the top of the tower structure. I'd say we're definitely in the ballpark here. The final official drop height should be somewhere in the neighborhood of 170-180 feet.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm sure if they haven't done any testing before they made the announcement about the height, this was sort of to be expected. Hope things can clear up in a good enough time, and doesn't end up too much like the video posted above...

I had heard rumors that it was delayed due to the rafts becoming air borne on the second hill. Which kind of made me go, you'd think they'd of seen that one coming on the second hill, but according to this, reportedly the test riders became air borne at the BOTTOM of the FIRST drop. Wonder if the flatness of the raft has anything to do with it? Hmn, maybe some spoilers ala Formula One race cars are in order, or upstop wheels. I'm sure they'll get it all figured out soon enough. And, yes, I'm still riding when it opens!

Verruckt Delayed

Edited by KCForce

That hill looks like it could still give a pretty nice jump, although I don't think they want that. The Italian slide looked a bit safer for jumping than Verrukt. Or, it's just the American bubble-wrapping that I love to rant about.

That hill looks like it could still give a pretty nice jump, although I don't think they want that. The Italian slide looked a bit safer for jumping than Verrukt. Or, it's just the American bubble-wrapping that I love to rant about.

I don't usually do this, but I'm going to side with the "bubble-wrapping" people on this one. I understand the "you choose to ride at your own risk" mentality and that you should simply shake it off if you wipe out or whatever, but people could seriously get hurt if those tubes get airborne and don't land properly. Verrukt returns to the same level it was at at the bottom of the first drop, which means that it will probably still be going really fast at the bottom of the second hill.

^Well, If you look at the two pictures you can see they seemed to re-profile the first pull out as well, so it doesn't seem to drop to the same level. That being said, If five feet out of a drop makes this ride possible, then it's certainly not that big of a deal.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is my reasoning as two why they had to reprofile this ride. As the sled goes down the first drop at such high speeds it is hydro planing over the trough. On the pull out your sled has to bend at a certain angle at a high rate of speed. Now that the sled is going upward the water rushing underneath the sled now has air pushing up on the front at that high of rate of speed. Now one bad bounce on the water for the sled would push the nose up and the increased surface area would allow for more air to push against it making the sled go airborne. So how does this have to deal with the reprofiling? On the pull out the radius is very acute which makes the sled bend more in the middle increasing the height off the trough in the front of the sled. This makes it where water going underneath it will disrupt the sleds travel and instead make it go airborn. With a gentler pull out the sled has to bend less therefore keeping the nose down. For an example of what is probably happening skip to 1:25 in the video.