TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Insane Coaster Wars Season Two!

^You think the park would have been supervising the shoot though, and would've looked at the force readings and realized that it was mistaken.

Nah, in fact I'd be surprised if most people working at the park knew what Gs the rides hit in various places other than the obvious stats given by the manufacturer.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why does Tower of Terror only go halfway up its tower? Or did the show just not have a good off-ride angle of the ride?

I've been told it shares the power system with Giant Drop, so TOT only goes halfway up the tower to allow Giant Drop to travel up and down. I'm guessing Drop of Doom and Superman both have different power systems, so Superman can launch further up the tower. Even with DOD operating. Either that or DOD/Superman's power system is more efficient.

My only complaint about the show doesnt have anything do do with the show..its either Comcast or Tivo with the scheduling..every time Robb comes on I want to hear his summary but all I get is "(Coaster) is" and then I get Ding! Keep or delete. Oh well, still a solid show, I'm enjoying every episode and saving them to mpeg to watch later.

I was really quite surprised that Leviathan beat out Griffon and Skyrush based on what I've heard people say about the three.

The show needs a better form of judging, I have noticed the bigger faster and longer coasters are doing better.

Some of the coaster "enthusiasts" they have on the show know less than the GP. Blue Fire should not get above 80 when it comes to speed. I305 shouldnt get above 95. Formula Rossa is the only coaster that should get 100. I agree, a better form of voting is in order. How does Leviathan beat out Skyrush anyway?!?

^I'm enjoying the series but do wonder where they found some of these "coaster enthusiasts". Based on their reactions it's as though some of them never rode anything more intense than a wacky worm before!

I got a little chuckle while watching the Skyrush video. Since the outer seats are further back from the middle seats, the girl on the outer seat looked tiny compared to her fellow riders. In a way, that is a common movie technique. It is used when a full-sized actor playing a much smaller character needs to look tiny next to another full-sized actor.

^I'm enjoying the series but do wonder where they found some of these "coaster enthusiasts". Based on their reactions it's as though some of them never rode anything more intense than a wacky worm before!

Like the woman with the season pass who was with her friends for "her" first ride on I believe Griffon. You can most definitely tell these are no "coaster enthusiasts".

In case y'all haven't noticed, they give everyone on the show the title "coaster enthusiast." Probably because it sounds better than "normal, coaster-riding member of the public" and won't scare off as many viewers had they used actual ACErs or something.

I think it would be cool if they took a group of people to each coaster of that particular episode and have them be the only ones to score the rides. I think the scores would be more realistic. If I remember correctly one of the riders was going on about how tall Skyrush was. While 200 feet is nothing to scoff at, I would LOVE to see their reaction to Kingda-Ka or TTD, or in the case of that particular episode, Leviathan.

Yes they call everyone an enthusiast. There are a few legitimate enthusiasts though on the show. Like the girl on Tatsu, the blonde girl on Skyrush and the girl on Superman: Ride of Steel. I think the groups are best when they're like announcers. Basically one person doesn't ride as many coasters and gets more exciting reactions for parts of the ride and another person that's a legitimate enthusiast that can analyze the ride positively but can keep it in perspective. When sports announcers do this, the analyst gets less excited by plays because he's played before and knows what's tough or not. Same thing for enthusiasts. Harder to please them then the GP because we tend to know better if the ride is legitimate. That's why I think it's perfect to try to find groups with at least 1 of each to have 2 different perspectives.

Enthusiast - a person who is enthusiastic.

How are any of these viewers not enthusiastic? No one ever said they were coaster experts ( or dorks).

As Robb has said before, we are lucky Travel Channel is even filming current shows, be happy for that.

If you really want to know how the coasters rank, look at Mitch's poll.

Larry,

I'm sure you don't need me to lecture you on the difference between denotation and connotation, so you are either being deliberately glib or obtuse. Enthusiast connotes that someone puts effort into their hobby above and beyond that of a normal person.

Edited by vdejarnette

^I agree with you.

Just watched the three tonight. Overall, not impressed. To me the coaster lines ups were a little weird and the so called "coaster enthusiasts" were somewhat clueless.

I did enjoy the chicks on the coasters though.

Larry,

I'm sure you don't need me to lecture you on the difference between denotation and connotation, so you are either being deliberately glib or obtuse. Enthusiast connotes that someone puts effort into their hobby above and beyond that of a normal person.

That is correct, a lecture is not needed.

At its root an enthusiast is one who shows enthusiasm or excitement towards a pursuit.

Larry,

Not going to tolerate this kind of attitude towards one of our hard working moderators. Banned forever.

People need to Learn how to be a bit more respectful with their responses.

Edited by robbalvey

In case anyone is wondering, here is how all of the coasters so far have ranked altogether.

1. Intimidator 305- 915

2. Formula Rossa- 875

3 (tie). Leviathan- 866

3 (tie). Shambhala- 866

5 (tie). Skyrush- 855

5 (tie). Tatsu- 855

7. Griffon- 843

8. Superman: Ride of Steel- 833

9 (tie). Colossos- 826

9 (tie). Titan- 826

11. Tower of Terror II- 779

12. Blue Fire- 738

Edited by Woodie Warrior

^That's for showing it all like that! Surprised Blue fire is that low, it looks like a fun ride.

As for the opinions, everyone as their own and everyone (including moderators) should respect that. Which most posters have been doing.

^What is the point in even bringing that up??? No one has been disrespecting anyone's opinions in this thread. The only thing I have seen is a poster being rude to a moderator and not getting to play on the forum any longer. Quit trying to start unnecessary drama, please.

Edited by ernierocker