TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Insane Coaster Wars Season Two!

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I noticed that one of the categories they vote on is "height". Lame. A bigger coaster does not make a better ride.

Why is that lame? Do you not realize that being scared of heights is one of the top phobias, so when you're asking the "general public" about a ride, asking about heights is completely valid.

You guys have to remember, these shows are not made for "enthusiasts", they are made for the general public in hopes that the viewers would eventually become enthusiasts.

Please understand who the audience is before you start complaining.

I feel like this episode is already a drastic improvement over last season. I don't know many international coasters so I'm glad I got exposed to the one in Spain. I personally think that one should've won. Formula Rossa looks better than I thought when I first saw it.

I also like the more clear voting system this season. I'm not sure how Aftershock or Desperado won last year.

The coasters already seem like they improved in quality too so basically I have a very positive review for this episode. Can't wait for the next one.

I'm not sure how Aftershock or Desperado won last year.

Because last year it was just online voting and it became a "popularity contest" for whatever park or location blasted out the most tweets or emails to get their followers to vote.

At least with this rating system, it's being tabulated by people who actually rode each of the coasters.

This rating system is much more like the Mitch Hawker poll in many ways, where each ride is rated on certain criteria, and then match against each other. Makes a LOT more sense this way.

That one episode was better than the entire first season!!! I love it! (and I did love the first season, just making that clear)

I like the new voting system and actually used it on the Boss earlier today , but I'm wondering, if there are eight categories to vote on and each one can go up to 100 points (making each ballot up to 800 total possible points), how can a coaster be ranked out of 1000 points on the show?

Or did season two use ten categories instead? Then each ballot would be worth up to 1000 points and they could average the scores.

I watched the show with my two sisters and we agree the voting system looked much improved. However, we were curious to know what questions they were being asked. I saw Speed, height, length, and Inversion. Maybe somebody can help me out here but I thought Inversion has to do with turning upside down, which none of the rides had except for Tatsu. Is a 80 or 90 degree bank turn considered an inversion?

^I noticed that too and figured it was just an editing snafu.

Robb, thanks for posting the list of rides included on the show this season. I enjoyed tonight's episode and am really excited to see Volcano featured on a future episode!

I noticed that one of the categories they vote on is "height". Lame. A bigger coaster does not make a better ride.

Why is that lame? Do you not realize that being scared of heights is one of the top phobias, so when you're asking the "general public" about a ride, asking about heights is completely valid.

You guys have to remember, these shows are not made for "enthusiasts", they are made for the general public in hopes that the viewers would eventually become enthusiasts.

Please understand who the audience is before you start complaining.

I didn't intend to come across as a complainer. I agree that overall the voting system is better than last year, and I did enjoy the show.

I just feel that "height" is a bit too subjective. Someone who has ridden KK and TTD might have a different perspective on height than someone whose ride on Superman:ROS was their tallest coaster ever. Then again.... thinking about this a little more, I suppose you could make the same argument about speed, airtime, inversions, etc. They could have done without Height, IMHO, but, meh, who cares...

Looking forward to the next episode.

Like the show, but could they please stop calling every Tom, Dick, and Harry who wanders into the front gate of a park a "coaster enthusiast"? It gets tiring listening to these people hem and haw about "maybe I'll actually enjoy this, but I don't knowwww it looks tall!" and then get labeled as a coaster enthusiasts in the bottom right corner.

Like the show, but could they please stop calling every Tom, Dick, and Harry who wanders into the front gate of a park a "coaster enthusiast"? It gets tiring listening to these people hem and haw about "maybe I'll actually enjoy this, but I don't knowwww it looks tall!" and then get labeled as a coaster enthusiasts in the bottom right corner.

They're being enthusiastic about it, aren't they?

^^^So what is your definition of enthusiast? People with encyclopedic knowledge of the history and details of something are aficionados. People who are obsessed with something and join clubs and write reviews and trip reports are geeks and nerds. Obviously the people on these shows love roller coasters and amusement parks, so why is enthusiast not the right word?

They're being enthusiastic about it, aren't they?

This is exactly right. Google tells the definition of an "enthusiast" is:

"A person who is highly interested in a particular activity or subject."

That doesn't even mean they have to be knowledgeable about a subject, win every trivia contest about something, they just have to be "enthusiastic."

IMO, anyone that is willing to sign up to be on a TV show about roller coaster is showing that they have some level of enthusiasm. Heck, I'd even go as far to say that most people who buy a season pass to a park, and plan on coming multiple times during a season also show a level of enthusiasm.

Just because you might be able to tell what manufacturer made a roller coaster by looking at the track type doesn't make you any more or less of an enthusiast. It might make you more knowledgeable about the subject matter. yes.

Example: I'm "enthusiastic" about the cruise ship industry, I'd even go as far to to call myself an "enthusiast", but I couldn't always tell you what company built which ship by looking at it. But that doesn't make me any less enthusiastic about cruising to the point where I'll do 3-5 cruises per year.

Cut these people some slack. Be happy there is a show on TV about roller coasters.

Kinda weird that they threw SMROS in there. Ghetto park, ghetto ride.

I love how travel channel called every person on that show a coaster enthusiast. You could tell some of those people didn't have a clue.

Have you read ANY of this thread?!??!

As far as Superman goes, it was ranked in the top 20 steel coasters in the world for nearly 10 years. While it may not be running in it's top form like it used to be, it most certainly has potential to be a world-class ride.

Again, I don't understand all the complaining over petty things, other than people just wanting to hear themselves talk. You do remember how there weren't many roller coaster or theme park shows on TV for nearly 10 years, right? Would you rather have shows on TV about the subject matter, or have no shows at all?

I personally think this is MUCH better than the "Wild Rides" or "Top Ten" coaster shows from a decade ago, and it's not just because I was involved with this show.

--Robb

Is there any way for us in the UK to see this show. I know it is on youtube but is not available in this country. Before anyone mentions proxy, have tried, not working for me.

Edit: Never mind, have got it.

Edited by thedazza