TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

NEWS: Cedar Fair Interested in Astroworld?

http://www.kfor.com/Global/story.asp?S=3868189&nav=6uy6

OKLAHOMA CITY -- Washington Redskins football team owner Dan Snyder is seeking to stop the closure and sale of AstroWorld theme park ahead of his own attempts to take control of Six Flags, a recent filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission shows.

The SEC document filed Friday includes a copy of a letter Snyder wrote to Michael Gellert, presiding independent director of the Six Flags board, arguing against the planned divestment of the 109-acre Houston park. Six Flags’ industry competitor, Cedar Fair, has expressed an interest in picking up the park for its own chain, Snyder said. He said the sale would be inappropriate without stockholders’ approval.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Snyder needs to pick a side on this issue. First he says it’s a great idea for Six Flags to sell off a poorly performing park and use the money to pay off some of its debt. And now he’s says, they shouldn’t do it without shareholder approval first. Like he doesn’t want to see Cedar Fair take hold of it.

I wonder if he’s in cahoots with some real estate folks in Texas.

I don't think it would be anymore than the usual $90. Look at Knotts, located right outside of LA. It wouldn't be more than Cedar Point or Geauga Lake with their weird "you wanna visit the other park nearby, more money" deal. I think it'd be cool if CF bought them, think of all the trash cans and bright white pavement they can cover the park in!

World's of Fun Season Pass was $64 ... not expensive at all and good at all CF parks.

For the other, Astroworld is not a poorly performing park. They have always had some of the best season pass sales of any other Six Flags park, better than the two other parks in Texas too.

Yeah, Cedar Fair can Improve Astroworld just like what they did with Geauga Lake. They'll probably rename the rides, add white cement and trash cans everywhere and then think about how Cedar Point can have more coasters than SFMM. I still would rather have Cedar Fair buy Astroworld then let it go to waste.

Kevin"So much for Swat at SFMM"Bujold

Yeah, Cedar Fair can Improve Astroworld just like what they did with Geauga Lake. They'll probably rename the rides, add white cement and trash cans everywhere and then think about how Cedar Point can have more coasters than SFMM. I still would rather have Cedar Fair buy Astroworld then let it go to waste.

Kevin"So much for Swat at SFMM"Bujold

First of all, CP had the record first. Secondly, if you are saying that Cedar Fair would send some SFAW coasters to CP, that is the least likely idea ever, it will not happen. And yeah, I'm sure they will put in the famous white cement just for the hell of it.

How is CF ignoring Geauga Lake? I mean they did just add a $30 million water park which is shown to bring in more people than coasters now, plus the park could of used one since the other water park was a bit small.

So now GL has a good water park with expansion coming this off-season. Let them build up the water park, the focus back on other rides. But then again, wonder how long til they trim Villian, Big Dipper and Wolf Bobs.