TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

B&M Wing Rider Coasters - Love or Hate?

So I keep reading and hearing from people that WingRider coasters are force-less and boring, and I wonder why? I'd love to say that I've actually experienced one, but I haven't had the pleasure. What keeps these visually attractive coasters from being more entertaining?

Edited by robbalvey

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have ridden XFlight at Six Flags Great America and I don't find it boring or forceless. I think too many people have unrealistic expectations. XFlight is a much better ride than I thought it would be, when it was being built. It has great pacing with 5 inversions in only 3000'. The front of the train is not too forceful, but the back has invert coaster intensity. Because of the wide trains, it's more difficult to put tight radius turns in.

I certainly expect XFlight to be a hit with the public for years to come, and that's what matters. Hopefully B&M will get rotating seats on them soon.

I was at Hersheypark last year, and Skyrush did not have much of a line for a brand new major coaster. Too much intensity turns too many people off.

I do see people that wait in line and then are too scared to get on XFlight. I give the coaster a solid B+.

Since you only live 1 state away, you should get to Great America to ride it. XFlight does feels like it will have the B&M rattle soon.

I rode Gatekeeper (my first wingrider) the other day and loved it. It's not the most intense coaster, but that didn't take away from my enjoyment at all.

I love the large sweeping elements and the overall smoothness of the ride. It gives a good sensation of soaring over the park.

I rode Raptor a lot and The Swarm a few times last year. I actually like this kind of coaster and I much prefer the straight first drop like Raptor than the inverted one like The Swarm.

The thing I really hate about wing coasters so far are the restraints because, since I'm quite tall with broad shoulders, they get too tight at the end. In order to avoid this problem I hold the rubber part away during the ride but it's not as much fun!

I think the reason that some people "hate" on Wingriders, is that they are going into the experience with the wrong idea. Like most people said above me, from what I can gather, the experience of a Wingrider isn't about tons of forces and mind numbing amount of inversions. It's a about the visuals, smoothness and the feeling that you are flying.

I've only ridden Gatekeeper, so I can't comment on other Wingriders. But I will say, that after my first ride on Gatekeeper, I was just SLIGHTLY underwhelmed by the experience. But I still enjoyed it. I did ride it three more times, all in different seats and after each ride, it grew on me. I put aside my assumptions that it was going to be a white knuckle, hold onto your ass, thrill ride and accepted it for an incredibly engineered "flying machine" (for lack of a better description....)

It's a fun ride, but I doubt that they will be topping the lists of many enthusiasts for their favorite ride. But to each their own. Not every ride has to be a white knuckle thrill ride, which make this a great addition both for Cedar Point and for B&Ms' portfolio. It offers a sensation that can't be found anywhere else in the park.

And as for the vests, during the ride, I found them to be incredibly comfortable, which adds to the whole experience, but sitting on the brake runs, you do notice how much they have tightened up during the ride and for that reason, I wouldn't be able to marathon this ride more than say, 4 or 5 times in a row...

-=CoasterBP

I hate this argument, I really do, but here's my thing with wingriders anyway:

Slow inversions, slow pacing, boring elements. Unless you're in the very front row, the flybys are hardly recognizable.. but are they terrible rides? No.

I have ridden XFlight at Six Flags Great America and I don't find it boring or forceless. I think too many people have unrealistic expectations.

I don't think people have unrealistic expectations at all. In fact, if you ask those people who harp on this style of ride, we're most likely to say they're Okay. But that's just it. They're just okay. Basically what I think it comes down to, is that people who have been on well over a few hundred coasters and have traveled extensivly will all agree that these styles are just okay compared to many others out there. I highly doubt anyone will be putting these style of rides on the bottom of their lists, in fact they'll probably be somewhere in the top 50, but no where near the top 10 or 20 even. For the GP, I think these rides are a great investment for parks and are extremely well received. More power to them, but do I think there needs to be more of them in the world? No! In regards to rotating seats: You can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig...

In a nut shell: they're meh.

I enjoyed Wild Eagle at Dollywood, even though it's not "top ten" material, and I'm looking forward to riding Gatekeeper. These rides are more about the "flying" feeling and less about the intensity.

Well after riding Swarm a couple of times two weeks ago. I can say: It's an okay ride, but indeed nothing ground breaking.

But i think these kind of rides are really great rides for parks, just because they bring in the crowds. Don't see them get build as muck as inverts over the years to some, but maybe some more will be build in China. But most say i think one of these Wingriders will proberly look really good in a Busch Gardens type of park

Since i will be riding Wild Eagle, X-Flight and Gatekeeper this year. i can say: i'm going to get my fair share of wingriders this year

From an objective point of view, I think they are fine. They are a very middle of the road thrill. Gatekeeper is perfect for Cedar Point; that's not a backhanded compliment, it's being honest. People seem to like them.

I certainly don't hate any coaster (even the Viper that was at Great Adventure, or Son of Beast - they still had good parts and looked cool!) but I'm just not very fond of the wing riders. What really kills it for me is the vests. I'll always be restraints sensitive - more so than the average coaster nerd. I just about HATE shoulder bars and lap bars that STAPLE you to the seats (it's not air time if you are stapled!?)

I'd probably really like the wing riders if the vest wasn't there. Similar to the soft restraints on I-305 and new Vekoma trains, the vests hold me BACK and DOWN. That's not fun on a coaster. It's also very clearly not needed - look at all the wild rides with no shoulder anything (Dare Devil Dive with it's super-hang-time does just fine). I'd even go as far as to say I would prefer regular old shoulder bars. A little headbanging is better than being held down/back (I'm sure many will disagree).

I look at wingrider coasters and say to myself "at least their not stand up coasters". Want to talk about HATE for a coaster, I really hate stand up coasters.

With that being said, I enjoyed riding Wild Eagle at night (perhaps because it blinded me) but overall it would never break my top 50 coasters or anything. About the only thing I remember from the coaster was my chest being crushed while waiting at the breaks. I thought the so called knee crush restraints on Skyrush were a cake walk compared to the crushing vests on wild eagle. I get to ride Xflight and Gatekeeper this summer. I'm sure I will enjoy the rides but probably won't love them.

I have only been on X-Flight and I don't hate or love it, I just really like it and nothing more. It was fun for sure but it lacks intensity due to the wide wing span of the cars which limit how fast and sharp you can make a turn. They are a hits with the GP and probably will continue to be but there are 15-20 year old hyper coasters that pack more thrills and fun into the ride for me like Raging Bull at the same park. If you can you should try to get on one this summer, they are fun and you will not be disappointed but if you are a big coaster fan just don't expect it to get on your top 10 list.

While I don't think there is anything "wrong" with Wing Riders, they do absolutely nothing for me. Gatekeeper is probably the best one I've been on out of three (Raptor, Wild Eagle, Gatekeeper)

I find them to be completely force less and mostly uninteresting.

Sorry, but if I'm gonna stand in line for a roller coaster, I want it to be something that blows me away, not something that meanders casually back to the brake run, and this is how I've felt about every Wing Rider I've ridden so far.

Obviously some people must love them and think they are amazing otherwise parks wouldn't keep building them and people wouldn't stand in line. I'm just not one of those people.

I remember when the B&M floorless first came out and people, including myself, were a bit bummed that those coasters were tamer than the companies previous installments, but I would take Kraken/Medusa/Superman Krypton Coaster any day over a wing rider, and those three coasters aren't terribly forceful either.

I'm probably in the minority here (or am I?), but I just prefer more intense and out of control rides.

--Robb "Wing Riders are the epitome of 'in control' roller coasters." Alvey

Edited by robbalvey

Anyone expecting extreme forces or airtime on a Wing Coaster is setting themselves up for disappointment!

Ive been on GateKeeper and enjoyed it, but it probably sits in the number 5 spot on my favorite coaster list at Cedar Point. I'm still heading for Maverick for morning ERT!

Anyone expecting extreme forces or airtime on a Wing Coaster is setting themselves up for disappointment!

But if you are a member of the general public, and you don't know anything other than you have a massive new roller coaster with a two hour line in front of you, wouldn't you *expect* an incredibly thrilling ride that blows you away?

I've been on GateKeeper and enjoyed it, but I'm still heading for Maverick for morning ERT!

'Nuff said...

^^^^ Yes, Robb you are in the minority. After seeing your top 15 from the travel channel thread, I sensed that you really like forceful rides. But you are hardcore and the general public is not.

It seems like many of the newer intense rides are using 2 across seating. You can make tighter turns with those, obviously. That's not likely to happen with a 20' wide train.

Everybody keep in mind that this is only the 3rd year of B&M wingriders. Someday some park will put in a "SWO Manta" or a "SFOG Goliath". A model that really pushes the design.

I've only been on X-Flight, so my experience with the design is limited, but my thoughts seem common. X-Flight is a fun ride, and it is great for the park. It is unique, and the public seems to really like it. However, the ride experience left me thinking "Meh, it's fun, but I don't need to ride this every time." My only complaint is that the restraints can be hurt, but other than that, it's an average thrill ride.

While not intense, the key-hole barrel roll feels weird being as long as it is.

The only ride of this type ive personaly experienced X-Flight at SFGAM is great the most comparable coaster i can say ive ridden is Superman ultimate flight also at SFGAM which has essentialy the same gimmick, flying however it handles very differently on ride.

Another fun quirk while riding the people in front of me had their pockets emptied, not by the parking fee of 20 dollars! but by the rides heartline spins sent change, keys, and wallets fling of ride everywhere.The whole experience is really fun and the forces were good not batman or supermans pretzel loop but great and unique elements.

I've been on Wild Eagle and GateKeeper and enjoyed them both. I liked GateKeeper more because I felt the layout was more interesting.

Wing riders are just FUN. And there's nothing wrong with that. Not every ride needs to be balls-out insane. Like _koppen mentioned, they're 2 different types of thrill. Variety is the spice of life, my friends.