TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

And Then There Was One...

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That's sad to hear, but at least Canobie seems dedicated to having theirs around for a good long time. Makes me glad it's a nearby park for me. Can't wait til I can get there in a few weeks; I still need to get on Equinox!

That's sad to hear, but at least Canobie seems dedicated to having theirs around for a good long time. Makes me glad it's a nearby park for me. Can't wait til I can get there in a few weeks; I still need to get on Equinox!

Was looking forward to equinox, unfortunately it wasn't operational when I made a trip up there.

Was looking forward to equinox, unfortunately it wasn't operational when I made a trip up there.

Same thing happened to me at the end of the Halloween season last year; got to watch it test but they weren't allowing riders.

It is my understanding that Idlewild's intent is to refurbish the Caterpillar and hopefully re-install it in the near future.

There are actually two surviving Caterpillar rides. One 1928 model operates with cover at Heritage Park in Calgary, Canada:

Here is what the old Space Odyssey plot looked like as of August 2012:

547097_474080485949011_1627053369_n.jpg

It was demolished last year.

What did they replace it with?

Last I've heard, there are no particular plans for Space Oddysey's plot yet. I'm pretty sad about that; I stopped there every year on my way to Pittsburgh, and that was my favorite ride there. Better even than the classic Caterpillar at Canobie. I'll be heading there in a bit over a month again; I'll see if I can find out if there are any new plans to replace it then.

It was demolished last year.

What did they replace it with?

Last I've heard, there are no particular plans for Space Oddysey's plot yet. I'm pretty sad about that; I stopped there every year on my way to Pittsburgh, and that was my favorite ride there. Better even than the classic Caterpillar at Canobie. I'll be heading there in a bit over a month again; I'll see if I can find out if there are any new plans to replace it then.

This is from their facebook page.......

Space Odyssey was removed last season. We are still on the hunt to find a great ride for that area.

The only Caterpillar I've ever ridden was the one at old Southport Pleasureland in the UK. Two of us got on the ride not knowing what it was, and were really surprised when the canopy enveloped us.

^Guess so. That park it's falling fast, you can see it all through the park. They have several signiture attractions up for sale and still no new coaster in site.

I wouldn't say I've seen any sign of that in the last few times I've been there. They've been replacing rides that they take out, except for Space Oddysey, and everything is still well kept. I don't know what's happened with their plans for the old Revolution coaster, except that I don't know where they could -fit- it, but...I don't think it's failing at all. In fact, it's been quite busy and successful looking every time I stop in, even on weekdays.

^Guess so. That park it's falling fast, you can see it all through the park. They have several signiture attractions up for sale and still no new coaster in site.

I wouldn't say I've seen any sign of that in the last few times I've been there. They've been replacing rides that they take out, except for Space Oddysey, and everything is still well kept. I don't know what's happened with their plans for the old Revolution coaster, except that I don't know where they could -fit- it, but...I don't think it's failing at all. In fact, it's been quite busy and successful looking every time I stop in, even on weekdays.

Last summer I looked over where the Revolution used to be stored and it is long gone......

I love checking out classic rides that are the last of their kind or perilously close to it, so I'm happy I got to ride the one at Canobie. While more popular cousins like Himalayas are more intense, the cover adds some extra charm, and I'm sure some people appreciate the privacy. Very glad it may come back...even if I don't.

Dizzy Lizzy's was a homemade haunted swing/Madhouse like the one at Dutch Wonderland, right? I'm disappointed to hear that's gone, as the Six Flags ones by Vekoma are loads of fun and I'd love to ride a more old-school one.

I am just going to give Idlewild the benefit of the doubt on Dizzy Lizzy's and assume it was becoming a mechanical nightmare, because it is the classic rides like that, that separate Idlewild from the rest. The caterpillar was awesome. I remember how thrilling a ride it was when I was young. When I went last summer, they weren't using the cover, which I can imagine would make the ride a lot less interesting. I really REALLY hope they are planning on bringing it back in the future.

• 2 weeks later...

I find Canobie Lake park to be very inappropriate.. I have found many photos of the staff goofing off and posting pictures that the public should not see. Here is a photo I found and I was not happy when my 8 year old daughter found it... not impressed Canobie, not impressed.....

1888313777_samW.jpg.c350a226b27ce761ce9998fd9ea4010c.jpg

Should never be on the web...