TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Rich parents skipping lines at Disney!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen a couple of different articles on this and I have my skepticism...

First off, I totally believe that everyone should either wait in line or use fast pass. I'm sick of every Tom, Dick, and Harry claiming their child is 'special' and can't wait in line or Grandma Esther and her wheelchair have to ride Space Mountain with 17 members of her family. The abuse of the special assistance cards is ridiculous.

That being said, one line from the article mentions that 'we waited only minutes for Small World while others had to wait 2.5 hours'. I've been going to the Magic Kingdom a LONG time and I would LOVE to see proof of a 150 minute line for Small World!

Regardless of how true this story is, The Post is such an indefensible waste of trees.

" 'You can’t go to Disney without a tour concierge,' she sniffed. 'This is how the 1 percent does Disney.' "

Does that really sound like an authentic quote? I call shenanigans. And "she sniffed?" Pathetic.

Just came here to post about this!

I don't doubt that it happens. All the rich douchebag parents in my neighborhood LOATHE going to Disney and would probably do anything to avoid rubbing shoulders with the unwashed masses.

I admit that I have a very low tolerance for lines and will buy any Speed/Flash/Q-bot type gimmick offered to me. I plan to take my kids to WDW in the next couple of years and I'm pretty intimidated by the crowd factor. But yeah, I would never, ever do this. The sense of entitlement really chaps my ass. Not just from people who use these tours, but the people who abuse these policies. My older son has a sensory disorder that makes waiting very difficult for him, and guess what? His ass can wait in line. TEACHING MOMENT.

Knowing my fair share of self-entitled rich jerks, I believe this is likely true. I can certainly see people doing this.

I remember reading at some point that Disney was going to be cracking down on the use of these passes, and that they were going to make an effort to make as many queues wheelchair accessible as possible, so everyone would wait in line. Hopefully they'll step up these efforts.

As always, more people should be eaten by sharks.

dt

I'm not sure I buy this story completely, although it does sound plausible--a more expensive version of the old "rent a wheelchair" scam teenagers used to pull at Disney.

During Fright Fest at SFA, I saw something sort of similar to this. A mother teaching a kid who she didn't know how to fake being handicap in order to go through the flash pass zone. First off, she nearly got into a fight with teenagers who cut her and her family in line. Security came and settled things. After that, she was really cautious about her place in line. Whenever someone would walk behind her, she would shake and grab them on accident. She was afraid she was going to get cut again, lol.

Anyways, yeah, she was teaching some random kid how to fake being wheelchair bound to skip the lines. It was awful. I really get offended whenever people impersonate or use disabled people. But I also think in this situation, it's the fault of the handicap people too for choosing to do so. It was their choice.

During Fright Fest at SFA, I saw something sort of similar to this. A mother teaching a kid who she didn't know how to fake being handicap in order to go through the flash pass zone. First off, she nearly got into a fight with teenagers who cut her and her family in line. Security came and settled things. After that, she was really cautious about her place in line. Whenever someone would walk behind her, she would shake and grab them on accident. She was afraid she was going to get cut again, lol.

Anyways, yeah, she was teaching some random kid how to fake being wheelchair bound to skip the lines. It was awful. I really get offended whenever people impersonate or use disabled people. But I also think in this situation, it's the fault of the handicap people too for choosing to do so. It was their choice.

I saw this at Coney Island(Ohio) as well! How sad is it to see one fake a disability to ride a tilt-a-whirl! Funny thing is they were busted by the ride operator.

Does anyone know if Disney gives return times for ADA guests? I know at many parks, they're given a paper at the entrance when they apply for the program. When they go to a ride, the employee gives them a return time based on the length of the line (similar to Disney's Fastpass system). Its definitely more fair than just letting them up at the exit willy nilly, plus it doesn't hurt capacity.

- And there will always be people who love cheating the system. Whether or not they decide to pay money to do that is up to them, but you really don't need to shell out hundreds of dollars to do that (upcharge Fastpasses or not).

^It depends on the type of Guest Assistance Card you have. Inside DCA the "No stairs" card gets you put in the Stand-By queue and If you dont want to do that then you can get a return time pass which is based on the length of the queue.

The other pass will put you in the Fastpass entrance with the exception of RSR which gives return time passes regardless of what type of Guest Assistance Card you have.

Jeez..if you're really that rich and entitled just pony up for the Disney VIP guide that skips the lines anyway. I did DLR Anaheim one time with my mom who is legitimately in a wheelchair and I felt bad passing up other people..not only that, Disneyland is the one place where (to a point) the heavily themed queues to me are part of the experience. I felt some rides like Jungle Cruise felt really "empty" when I just walked right on and off again without even seeing any of the set up, even though I had seen it many times before. As long as it's not ridiculous, the anticipation is part of it for me.

*This definitely only applies to Disney parks for me..not non-themed six flags parking lot rides

I was at Disneyland a couple of weeks ago, the handicapped line for Pirates was HUGE! All the way through the exit corridor and extending past the Blue Bayou entrance. The regular line was only 10 minutes so I don't think those people were saving much time. Unfortunate for the people who have a genuine need though.

I guess once MyMagic+ is fully rolled out disabled people will be able to book ride times like everyone else, and then only need to enter via the exit where the regular queue isn't accessible.

^ Yeah I found out that one time that I was there with my mom that Pirates can get huge handicap lines. The line for hc that day was even longer than the general line. Indy was the other one with no advantage, you can only go so far before joining the general line. For me on most days FastPass is enough of an advantage.

When I worked at Rhino Rally back in 2001-2002 our handicap policy was the disabled person and 3 others may ride at once. They also had to wait for the designated "handicap" vehicle. If they had more than 3 people with them, and they all wanted to ride, the group was split, and the "handicap" person had to ride with each group.

I am not sure of the whole policy for the coasters, but I do know that at Kumba and Montu, guests boarding from the exit were not allowed in rows 1 or 8.