TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Robb Alvey's "World's Coolest Coasters" Travel Channel Blog

Is no one surprised about Goliath being in this list? Don't get me wrong, i like that it is there and i love Goliath. It is the only one i rode (from the list), but i don't really think it is tht good of a ride compared to the others.

So my question is: why Goliath?

BTW: Great list and a great article!

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^Again, a lot of you 'locals' who haven't been on a lot take your parks for granted. Robb and I have been on A CRAP LOAD of roller coasters and Goliath consistently delivers a fun, airtime filled, awesome ride! You should consider yourself lucky to have it nearby!

^Again, a lot of you 'locals' who haven't been on a lot take your parks for granted. Robb and I have been on A CRAP LOAD of roller coasters and Goliath consistently delivers a fun, airtime filled, awesome ride! You should consider yourself lucky to have it nearby!

yeah i guess that is it. I have been to a couple of great parks (like Heide Park and Europa Park), but i have been to Walibi quite a lot until (i guess) 2008. Once you've seen something special a lot, it is probably not that special anymore. I also don't like the way the park changed and maybe that has influenced my opinion as well. But i was kinda proud to see it in your list! Maybe i should go back and try it again!

yeah i guess that is it. I have been to a couple of great parks (like Heide Park and Europa Park), but i have been to Walibi quite a lot until (i guess) 2008. Once you've seen something special a lot, it is probably not that special anymore. I also don't like the way the park changed and maybe that has influenced my opinion as well. But i was kinda proud to see it in your list! Maybe i should go back and try it again!

Your reaction is similar to that of one of our Australian members regarding Superman Escape being on the list. Remember the old saying about how "the other man's grass is always greener"?

^^Maybe it's just me. I'm actually bigger fan of Arkham Asylum: Shock Therapy (A Vekoma SLC with the "bonus helix") so perhaps I have a strange taste in coasters! I just feel Superman could have been a little longer as it doesn't quite have enough speed to be as short as it is. I do agree with the in-the-dark section. I think that themes the ride really well. Superman also offers some quality airtime

A Vekoma SLC over a really unique Intamin launched coaster? To each his own, but you may have ridden the SLC one too many times! You should get that checked out by a doctor.

And if the doctor doesn't work out, maybe just stay in the Asylum...lol.

Cool list! I agree with Kawasemi, having just ridden it during my Japanese study semester. Although I will have to say I didn't find it quite as amazing as all the hype. Still a top-five multiple reride fun session, though. Having only been on two, Kawasemi and El Toro, I have some work to do. Maybe I can hit Pyrenees before heading home.

Your reaction is similar to that of one of our Australian members regarding Superman Escape being on the list. Remember the old saying about how "the other man's grass is always greener"?

Oh i missed that reaction. Sorry! haha funny how that works. You hear about all those amazing coasters and you don't realize there is an amzing one near you. I love the ride, i've been on it over 50 times i guess, but i never expected it to be a top 15 coaster! I really need to go back to Walibi. it has been too long!

Oh i missed that reaction. Sorry! haha funny how that works. You hear about all those amazing coasters and you don't realize there is an amzing one near you. I love the ride, i've been on it over 50 times i guess, but i never expected it to be a top 15 coaster! I really need to go back to Walibi. it has been too long!

This wasn't a list of the world's "top" coasters, this was a list of "cool" coasters. A "bucket list"' if you will of some of my favorite rides.

Finally a list that hasn't had X2, TTD, or Kinda Ka on it. I applaud you for not stooping down to the level of the GP.

I'm honestly a little surprised you didn't include Atlantis Adventure, Boulder Dash, or Skyrush.

Were those three part of your "honorable mentions" list?

If not, what was?

Finally a list that hasn't had X2, TTD, or Kinda Ka on it. I applaud you for not stooping down to the level of the GP.

I'm honestly a little surprised you didn't include Atlantis Adventure, Boulder Dash, or Skyrush.

Were those three part of your "honorable mentions" list?

If not, what was?

When you've been on 1,500 roller coasters, it's hard to narrow it down, especially when you are trying to include the "best ofs" in many different territories.

If there were a few stateside that would have rounded out 17-20, two of them probably would have been Texas Giant and Outlaw Run.

Nemesis deserves it. I last rode it in 2006, but I have yet to ride another invert that comes close to Nemesis in intensity and sheer fun. It's been in my top ten ever since,

Chuck, could you describe how Nemesis compares to Alpengeist at BGW or Great Bear at HP? I've never ridden it but have taken numerous spins on Alpengeist and Great Bear. Alpengeist is very strong and quick and I enjoy it up until the mid-brake but then the zippy twists get to me and I have to spend the next 2 hours on a bench in the shade sipping a frozen lemonade. I cannot ride it more than once a day, and the past few years I haven't ridden it at all. Great Bear I can ride several times without getting sick and I don't leave feeling like my head just got jack hammered. Just wondering how Nemesis relates to them. Thanks for the insight!

^^Nemesis looks like a power house compared to Great Bear. GB is fun, however, it is not the most forceful ride on the planet, it has some stronger G points but it isnt consistent. Nemesis looks like it keeps you in its wrath the entire time. Alpengeist was good in my opinion. Got me sick after 3 rides whereas i can marathon on GB

Here's a picture that gives a fair representation of how intense Nemesis can be.

You can really feel the breeze from that ride as it goes by.

My first ride on Nemesis was fairly disappointing - front row in the morning, it really wasn't any more intense than Nemesis Inferno. But riding it back row later in the day took my breath away and I saw why it got such a high rating. Also, regardless of the ride experience, the landscaping and interaction is awesome.

Love that Kumba is on the list.

It is hands down my favorite B&M.

I rode it back in 1993 when it was brand new, and it still rides today like it did back then.

Where do you draw the line at "old school", and "current?"

1990 - Stand Up (Iron Wolf - SFGA)

1992 - Inverted (Batman The Ride - SFGA)

1993 - Sitdown (Kumba - BGT)

1998 - Dive Machine (Oblivion - AT)

1999 - Hyper (Apollo's Chariot - BGW)

1999 - Floorless (Bizarro - SFGAd)

1999 - Hyper 200ft + (Raging Bull SFGA)

2002 - Flying (Air - AT)

2011 - Winged (Raptor - Gardaland)

2012 - Giga (Leviathan -CW)

• 2 weeks later...
A book I got called "Thrill Rides" ranked coasters.

Son of Beast was on there, and of course, so were Top Thrill Dragster and Kingda Ka.

Although they did list Boulder Dash, Cyclone, and other good ones as well.

I have that book too, at least they included the word airtime in it.

Don't forget that they listed X in the #3 spot, that ride is listed in almost EVERY GP top 10 EVER.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I rode kumba years ago and don't remember being overly impressed. Don't get me wrong I loved the ride but I was surprised when I saw it in the list. Enjoyed reading the article. Maybe ill have to go back and ride kumba again.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm happy to see Phoenix on this list. One of the great things about things about this hobby is that everyone has a different opinion and obviously Robb isn't the final authority on coasters (and he would never claim to be), but when someone has been on 1500 coasters it does give a ton of credibility to their list... and I'm happy to see that after riding well over a thousand coasters this is still one of the best.

The more you think about Phoenix, the more amazing this coaster really is. While it's not the best coaster in the world, it's been near the top of the list for decades and as other coasters have come and gone (either because they didn't age well or because bigger, better coasters forced them into obsolescence) this coaster has remained one of the best in the world, usually in top 10 lists surrounded by coasters built in the last 15 years.

Great job with the blog Robb! I enjoyed reading through it.

• 2 years later...
Some of you may know that I've been doing some work for Travel Channel including being on shows like "Insane Coaster Wars", but I've also been writing a few articles for their website and blog. The latest of which featured 15 of the "World's Coolest Roller Coasters."

Here's the article: http://www.travelchannel.com/interests/family/photos/worlds-coolest-roller-coasters

Please be sure to click the "LIKE" or "TWEET" icon on the first image! Would love to get everyone's support on this article!

Enjoy!

--Robb

This is by far my favorite amusement park article outside of an enthusiast website. At least I don't need to cringe in this article.