TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Robb Alvey's "World's Coolest Coasters" Travel Channel Blog

Cedar Point has a ton of coasters but they are more about quantity over quality. The more parks you get to(judging by your top two woodies it is not very many) the more you will realize this.

I can't agree with this. Cedar Point might not succeed at making world class coasters each time, but they definitely attempt to make coasters that are among the best in the world. Maverick, Millenium Force, Top Thrill Dragster, Raptor, and GateKeeper are all top of the line coasters. Each attempting to be the BEST of their kind, at the time they were built.

This was an incredibly diverse list, with quite a few coasters I've never even heard of. Can't wait to visit some parks outside of the US, as it looks like I've been missing out.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry about my comment earlier. I just might have been expecting one of my home park rides to be on the list (Cedar Point). And of course, I'm wishing for some crazier coasters in the US (why does Aisa get half of the good woodies now? Besides El Toro, of course, but they have T Express, Dauling Dragons, the one at Knight Valley, and whatever the one was with the insane double-down. In comparison, my favorite woodies are probably Blue Streak or Georgia Cyclone.)

Cedar Point has a ton of coasters but they are more about quantity over quality. The more parks you get to(judging by your top two woodies it is not very many) the more you will realize this.

Looks like I will be adding a few of these coasters to my list in the next couple of years.

I've been on other good woodies, such as Beast and Cyclops, but I don't remember Cyclops' airtime well and Beast is fun, but not particularly intense. I also have been on Prowler and Renegade, forgot about Prowler. I guess I just like the ejector airtime on Blue Streak or the insane WTF airtime on a good Georgia Cyclone ride. I also enjoy a trimless Mean Streak ride, but its still boring for the second half. I guess I went into a sort of fanboy mode. By the way, if you want my opinion on I305 back when I rode it in 2010, the trims really messed it up. My mom, a MF lover, liked Volcano more. Hopefully I'll be able to go to KD again and ride for the untrimmed experience. And also, now that I have a SF pass I might be able to try El Toro and Bizarro.

[ Maverick, Millenium Force, Top Thrill Dragster, Raptor, and GateKeeper are all top of the line coasters.

And none of them made Robb's list. Let's get back on topic here as my point wasn't to take a shot at Cedar Point's lineup (I actually have Millennium Force and TTD in my top 10) but to show that there are a TON of better coasters out there in the world and until you have been on more of them, don't be shocked if you home park doesn't show up on the more experienced enthusiasts' list.

[ Maverick, Millenium Force, Top Thrill Dragster, Raptor, and GateKeeper are all top of the line coasters.

And none of them made Robb's list. Let's get back on topic here as my point wasn't to take a shot at Cedar Point's lineup (I actually have Millennium Force and TTD in my top 10) but to show that there are a TON of better coasters out there in the world and until you have been on more of them, don't be shocked if you home park doesn't show up on the more experienced enthusiasts' list.

It's a tough list to make, Robb has been on a ridiculous amount of coasters. Just saying your assessment of quantity over quality wasn't necessarily correct. We don't see Cedar Point putting in mediocre coasters. A few years back, maybe, but not anymore.

Just checked out the blog and thought I'd finally sign up, instead of just lurking.

Theres nothing there to get bent out of shape about. I'm a huge Cedar Point fan and go about 20 times a year or so. Just because CP wasn't included in the list means nothing really, its just a subjective opinion. Its his opinion, it doesn't change the fact that Maverick is my all time favorite ride and Kumba is meh. I like I305 as well and it deserves to be on the list for sure cause its kick a$$, but I still like Maverick more and I would put I305 around 6-7 on my all time favorites.

It all just boils down to personal taste. Who care if someone thinks B&M hypes are not "cool" does it really matter? It was an entertaining piece and nothing more.

Just checked out the blog and thought I'd finally sign up, instead of just lurking.

Theres nothing there to get bent out of shape about. I'm a huge Cedar Point fan and go about 20 times a year or so. Just because CP wasn't included in the list means nothing really, its just a subjective opinion. Its his opinion, it doesn't change the fact that Maverick is my all time favorite ride and Kumba is meh. I like I305 as well and it deserves to be on the list for sure cause its kick a$$, but I still like Maverick more and I would put I305 around 6-7 on my all time favorites.

It all just boils down to personal taste. Who care if someone thinks B&M hypes are not "cool" does it really matter? It was an entertaining piece and nothing more.

Off topic, but in my opinion, Maverick just bridges the line between the old generation (MF) and the new (I305). The twisties on "Maverick" are flat, unlike the undulating I305 ones. It uses the old track construction. On the contrary, it uses LSM launches and, of course, "twisties", along with the newer-generation restraints.

Off topic, but in my opinion, Maverick just bridges the line between the old generation (MF) and the new (I305). The twisties on "Maverick" are flat, unlike the undulating I305 ones. It uses the old track construction. On the contrary, it uses LSM launches and, of course, "twisties", along with the newer-generation restraints.

Maverick doesn't use "Old-track" construction. Intamin still does use that type of track for some projects.... so it is not really "old." It is just the type they use for a blitz coaster, the same type used for iSpeed and Cheetah Hunt.

It's a tough list to make, Robb has been on a ridiculous amount of coasters. Just saying your assessment of quantity over quality wasn't necessarily correct. We don't see Cedar Point putting in mediocre coasters. A few years back, maybe, but not anymore.

I never once said Cedar Point didn't put in quality coasters, stop putting words in my mouth. Now, like I've already asked, lets get this back on topic.

Awesome list, probably the best list of coasters I've ever seen. Nice to see a good number of non-US coasters, as well as leaving off coasters that really don't deserve the recognition they get (Voyage, pretty much everything at a Cedar Fair park).

dt

It started off good, but then kinda went weird. Kumba? I wasn't expecting that. And where's the love for Maverick? Unfortunately, I've only been on one of these (I305) when the trims were on. I'm hoping that I'll be able to get the El Toro and Bizarro credits soon, though.

Where's the love for Maverick is quite simply there are better roller coasters in other places of the world. Had I only been in a few hundred coasters, most of them in the USA, sure, Maverick would be on that list. But I've been on 1,500 across the planet, and as much as Maverick may be one of my faves in the USA, it just didn't quite crack that list.

Oh, and if you've never been on Kumba, why are you judging my selection of it?

I just felt like it started like an average list, but Kumba over other old generation B&Ms? Again, tending to be an airtime rather than inversions lover, I'll criticize moves like this.

Ok. But if you haven't been on the ride, your criticism and opinion means absolutely nothing to me. Go ride 1,500 roller coasters and then we'll talk, ok?

^^Maybe it's just me. I'm actually bigger fan of Arkham Asylum: Shock Therapy (A Vekoma SLC with the "bonus helix") so perhaps I have a strange taste in coasters! I just feel Superman could have been a little longer as it doesn't quite have enough speed to be as short as it is. I do agree with the in-the-dark section. I think that themes the ride really well. Superman also offers some quality airtime

A Vekoma SLC over a really unique Intamin launched coaster? To each his own, but you may have ridden the SLC one too many times! You should get that checked out by a doctor.

Sorry about my comment earlier. I just might have been expecting one of my home park rides to be on the list (Cedar Point). And of course, I'm wishing for some crazier coasters in the US (why does Aisa get half of the good woodies now? Besides El Toro, of course, but they have T Express, Dauling Dragons, the one at Knight Valley, and whatever the one was with the insane double-down. In comparison, my favorite woodies are probably Blue Streak or Georgia Cyclone.)

Apology accepted...

^^Maybe it's just me. I'm actually bigger fan of Arkham Asylum: Shock Therapy (A Vekoma SLC with the "bonus helix") so perhaps I have a strange taste in coasters! I just feel Superman could have been a little longer as it doesn't quite have enough speed to be as short as it is. I do agree with the in-the-dark section. I think that themes the ride really well. Superman also offers some quality airtime

A Vekoma SLC over a really unique Intamin launched coaster? To each his own, but you may have ridden the SLC one too many times! You should get that checked out by a doctor.

Haha, fair call! Most of my friends also think I'm crazy to prefer the SLC. I still really like Superman, don't get me wrong!

No Apollo's Chariot or B and M hyper? Nonetheless I think the list is great,besides the fact that I don't have a single credit of those 16.

While the B&M hypers are good, enjoyable rides, I wouldn't say they were the "coolest" rides ever.

I guess your right.I was thinking greatest rather than coolest.

That truly was a great list and I have to agree with you on all the coasters. I have been on quite a few of the ones on the list but seeing your amazing POV and off-ride videos of the ones I haven't been on, I can't complain on how amazing they look. This really is one of the best lists out there and it's pretty amazing that it's on the Travel Channel website. CONGRATS!

Jimmy "I'm in a picture! Bo

This is a 'cool' list. I totally agree with your choices. Especially on the once I rode. The rest I have to add to my to do list. Although rides like T-express will probably be more difficult to get. I have to try right?

Now where did I leave my cheat codes to life?

Amazing list and well thought out and fair. With good variety especially in location.

Can't believe I'm seeing Nemesis still get some rep after so many years. It really is a timeless classic.

Nemesis deserves it. I last rode it in 2006, but I have yet to ride another invert that comes close to Nemesis in intensity and sheer fun. It's been in my top ten ever since,

Edited by cfc

they should rename the article "Why Intamin craps all over just about every other coaster in the world but a select few"... and none of them are in California.

"A Salute to all Coasters...but Mainly Intamin!"