TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

New Intamin looper train?

^I am also happy with the current restraints on I305. I know a lot of enthusiasts love Maverick but I don't because my body size fits in such a way that the hard restraint hits right in my neck causing a lot of pain. A new restraint like this could easily put Maverick into my top 5.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sad news, my fiancé wrote yesterday to Sascha at Intamin and asked about a conversion from old to new restraints on existing trains.

The trains using the new lap bars have more angled seats, and the distance between the seats (in width, not length) is bigger to fit the new lap bars. In theory a conversion is possible, but no park would ever make the big investment it would take to retrofit them, as you would have to remodel the whole upper train.

But on the plus side, lap bar only for the new Intamin rides!

I love the looks of these restraints, and the fact that more coaster companies are looking towards lap bars for their inverting coasters! I wonder how much it could improve a coaster like Thorpe Park's Colossus, considering the many reports of roughness from it.

Roughness has nothing to do with a ride's restraint system.

The amount of roughness your body (and head, primarily) registers does.

I'd hate to see these on either i305 or Maverick, but some of the more tame Intamin coasters such as Cheetah Hunt could benefit. Kingda Ka would be a great contender, too.

I think that i305's restraints are perfect for that caliber of coaster, even if the straps can be a bit heavy on your collar bones at times. You need that support when you're making those insane transitions, and I wish that Skyrush had the straps for a few of it's neck-chopping spots. I can't imagine having just a lapbar going 90mph.

^I actually think skyrush is fine with lapbars, but just not the ones it has now. I wonder how these new ones perform in terms of comfort but they do look better than Skyrush's.

Roughness has nothing to do with a ride's restraint system.

The amount of roughness your body (and head, primarily) registers does.

There you go. Head-banging =/= roughness. There are plenty of coasters with shoulder harnesses that are incredibly comfortable because they have little to no head-banging.

• 2 years later...
How about some new photos of this awesome new train from Intamin?

And as I wrote about a year ago in this thread, imagine if these restraints could be converted to all the Intamin's using the OTSR introduced on Storm Runner!

Source

I'm pretty sure it won't be that hard.

The train and restraint is system identical to storm runner except that storm runner's restraints have the portion over the shoulders and these don't.

Take a look at the restraints on intimidator 305 at kings dominion.

Those restraints look more comfortable than the restraints on storm runner.

If these went on Colossus, you'd feel more free and the headbanging would be greatly reduced.

/quote]

You have no idea how many times I have thought this. Everyone who has been on colossus knows how rough it is, but also how good a coaster it is! It is only ruined bu Thorpe Parks budget. I would prefer Colossus to have a re-vamp, than DBGT.

I'm not sure they could retrofit the new trains to Colossus, or the Chinese one. I know the old 8 / 9 / 10-inversion coasters look pretty darn similar to the new ones, but if I recall correctly they were designed with a different center line than they are now. It wouldn't be too big of a deal if the coasters just had loops, but with those rolls a different rider heart line could be pretty uncomfortable.

I'm not sure they could retrofit the new trains to Colossus, or the Chinese one. I know the old 8 / 9 / 10-inversion coasters look pretty darn similar to the new ones, but if I recall correctly they were designed with a different center line than they are now. It wouldn't be too big of a deal if the coasters just had loops, but with those rolls a different rider heart line could be pretty uncomfortable.

A) the rides are already uncomfortable

B) Didn't this discussion die with Mantis getting floorless trains?

Rougarou has OSTR like Mantis did. OTSRs have different standards for lateral acceleration and maximum force than do lap-bars. Imagine if i305 had lap-bars to understand why the difference exists.

I'm likely reading too far in between the lines here (as usual) but I thought that Rougarou's trains were custom-designed to match the center line of Mantis. The seats look like they're mounted higher on the chassis of the cars than, say, Hydra's.

Rougarou has OSTR like Mantis did. OTSRs have different standards for lateral acceleration and maximum force than do lap-bars. Imagine if i305 had lap-bars to understand why the difference exists.

You mean no one would have gotten smashed in the neck by the old restraints?

I understand the argument here. Really, I do. But with re: to your point about "maximum force" and so on: that comes more from the fact that OTSRs are generally capable of more containment than lapbars when a totally inert body is subjected to physical forces as well as to an individual actively attempting to defeat them, not necessarily that it makes it a more comfortable ride. Restraints are designed to specifically do what they say.

I'm likely reading too far in between the lines here (as usual) but I thought that Rougarou's trains were custom-designed to match the center line of Mantis. The seats look like they're mounted higher on the chassis of the cars than, say, Hydra's.

I've never heard that from anyone. Doesn't mean it isn't true. Also doesn't mean you could just adjust the manner in which the seats are mounted to have lapbars in those forceful Intamin rides. The point was made about Skyrush earlier, and that thing doesn't even have a floor on half the seats to which you could restrain riders by the ankles (as Premier and Intamin both did in the past).

You are absolutely correct. Look at where the seat mounts to the chassis.

image.jpeg.210eadf03761448d6be8ff500e4f063d.jpeg

image.jpeg.210eadf03761448d6be8ff500e4f063d.jpeg

This increase was speculated before the transformation was announced. Suprisingly it was possible. However, that doesn't say that the heartline didn't change. Rougarou's trains could be (and likely are) lower than Mantis's.

I understand the argument here. Really, I do. But with re: to your point about "maximum force" and so on: that comes more from the fact that OTSRs are generally capable of more containment than lapbars when a totally inert body is subjected to physical forces as well as to an individual actively attempting to defeat them, not necessarily that it makes it a more comfortable ride. Restraints are designed to specifically do what they say.

I understand. My point of using i305 as an example was not to demonstrate that i305 would be less comfortable with lap-bars (because rather it would have less throat-chopping) but to understand the less security lap-bars would provide in extreme transitions. Your upper body would be thrashed around like a rag doll.

Was this what you were trying to say?

image.jpeg.61092dcd3c1a4b60495b736f3a76078d.jpeg

I understand. My point of using i305 as an example was not to demonstrate that i305 would be less comfortable with lap-bars (because rather it would have less throat-chopping) but to understand the less security lap-bars would provide in extreme transitions. Your upper body would be thrashed around like a rag doll.

Was this what you were trying to say?

No. Restraints have nothing to do with holding the rider in a more comfortable position for dealing with lateral G forces. Restraints have to do with keeping bodies in the seat for individuals either no longer in control of their corporeal selves because they are incapacitated or attempting to exit willfully. Restraints restrain. If i305's laterals were such that it would throw you so forcefully your own inate ability to tense up and anticipate those moves would be overrun, it would be unrideable with any restraints.

Restraints have nothing to do with holding the rider in a more comfortable position for dealing with lateral G forces. Restraints have to do with keeping bodies in the seat for individuals either no longer in control of their corporeal selves because they are incapacitated or attempting to exit willfully. Restraints restrain. If i305's laterals were such that it would throw you so forcefully your own inate ability to tense up and anticipate those moves would be overrun, it would be unrideable with any restraints.

To add to this, the restraint isn't typically what keeps you in the seat during the twisties, it's a car's sidewall or an area of lateral bolstering. When you ride a coaster like Twister, one side of lateral Gs is more comfortable because the entire side of your body is shoved against a cushy wall, while the other is less comfortable because your hips and waist get shoved against the seat divider but your upper body is pulled into oblivion. Racing drivers deal with insane lateral Gs, so their car seats basically wrap around their entire body.

Intamin kind of does a little bit of both. The seats are bolstered a lot hear your thighs and a little bit around your upper body but their lap restraint basically wraps around your entire lower body near your waist.

I'm pretty sure it won't be that hard.

The train and restraint is system identical to storm runner except that storm runner's restraints have the portion over the shoulders and these don't.

Take a look at the restraints on intimidator 305 at kings dominion.

Those restraints look more comfortable than the restraints on storm runner.

Sorry it can't be done, I asked about it and the new trains is wider in order to accommodate the lapbar on both sides of the seat. Converting to lapbar would mean that you have to buy a new train.

If these went on Colossus, you'd feel more free and the headbanging would be greatly reduced.

Main problem here is that there are two different tracks on Colossus and the new intamin rides, the new rides is much more wide. It would require a custom made undercarriage and there would probably be a problem with the clearance.