TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Unnecessary Queuing Lines

I can't say I've ever seen Seaworld Orlando have a full queue line, max wait about 1hr and half at Christmas one time.

I know you can't shorten the queue as it snakes through the building but, it just seems never ending walking around these empty switchbacks and there's no shortcut around it all. Bleurgh.

which ride are you referring to about at Seaworld?

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't say I've ever seen Seaworld Orlando have a full queue line, max wait about 1hr and half at Christmas one time.

I know you can't shorten the queue as it snakes through the building but, it just seems never ending walking around these empty switchbacks and there's no shortcut around it all. Bleurgh.

I think it might be Kraken, since the line wraps around all the decorations.

... *Face palm*

Yep, I meant Kraken. I seemed to have totally had a blanked out whilst writing that post and failed to mention the name, congrats to me, apologies.

... *Face palm*

Yep, I meant Kraken. I seemed to have totally had a blanked out whilst writing that post and failed to mention the name, congrats to me, apologies.

I was just curious which ride. Now that I think about it, I do remember how annoying it was to walk through. Especially since the line was right in the station on my last visit but you still have to walk through everything.

Kraken at Sea World Orlando gets my vote. I'm sure it might get used when the park is packed, but it's rather annoying to not have any shortcuts when it's not needed. Queues like that just encourage line jumping since you'll always have people jumping over the railings.

Green Lantern at Great Adventure. Other than the first few months it was open, it rarely gets into the switchbacks at the start of the queue and they can't be bypassed so what happens is almost every time I go to the ride and choose not to climb over the switchbacks, I get cut in line by others who do climb over the switchbacks.

I completely agree with this. It's ridiculous. Luckily it's an awful coaster so I never ride it.

If I had to pick one it would be Mummy (USF). Lately they've been having the full que open, (which would probably be a 3 hr. wait if full), when waits only get up to 30-35 min. We just use the single rider line in the morning; so much shorter.

If I had to pick one it would be Mummy (USF). Lately they've been having the full que open, (which would probably be a 3 hr. wait if full), when waits only get up to 30-35 min. We just use the single rider line in the morning; so much shorter.

I rather like Mummy's queue, though--just to walk through.

The queue line for Viper at Darien Lake is very long and hasn't been filled in years (maybe even decades). There's also that old stand in the middle of it.

I blame the Ride of Steel's incredibly long que that gets instantly filled for Viper's demise. There used to be vending machines in that little shack in Viper's always almost empty que line, I think when Six Flags sold Darien Lake the vending machines were removed from Viper. I really think that Darien Lake should shorten Viper's que line if it hasn't been filled in a decade since Ride of Steel opened!

I'm very happy that I came up with an item of discussion that has generated a ton of feedback. As I keep this topic going, I must add three rides, located at Six Flags America, that I feel has queuing lines that are unnecessary.

ROAR - While the zig-zag, uphill, straight away leading to the station is always used, the queing station to the left has never been filled with riders waiting to ride Roar. However, that station does get used during Fright Fest for their Haunted House attraction.

Penguin's Blizzard River - They have these long blocks that are never filled, plus they are dirty!

Joker's Jinx - If they thought the huge station of switchbacks in front of the station's entrance was needed, then the joke's on them.

On a side note, the defunct ride Two-Face had so many switchbacks that I don't think that at least 75% of those lines were ever used.

I believe that is the problem with an attraction: On its opening season, the newfangled attraction will attract a ton of riders and fill up the queing line, but over the years the lines tend to dwindle down, leaving those extra lines that once were filled to be left out into the sun and decay. This fact is true to Superman - Ride of Steel and to Batwing; I've seen their lines get filled to near capacity during their opening season.

So why not do away with these unnecessary lines like Carowinds did to their lines for the Hurler coaster? Does anyone have any thoughts to this question?

I'm not perfect; I just love to ride!!!

Edited by palmerleeberry

Apocalypse at Six Flags Magic Mountain has a pretty long queue as well, just because you can't avoid all the switchbacks even if there isn't a line.

This can be so frustrating when there is no line. They need to be able to have those turning bars at certain points in the line so people don't have to walk through the entire line if there isn't anyone waiting.

• 4 months later...
So why not do away with these unnecessary lines like Carowinds did to their lines for the Hurler coaster? Does anyone have any thoughts to this question?

Believe it or not, there are good reasons on the park side for keeping weird queues like this. At least usually. It's why you end up with some really wonky queue configurations.

I'll also say that a long queue is fine if it is themed, or if it interacts with the ride in some neat way. I have no issues walking back to Indiana Jones at Disneyland since the whole thing is hyper themed. I also don't have any issue with rides that have extra queues that can be opened, but are bypassable. I think it's better to build enough in the first place, and then not need them much than to not build them and have a line all over the midway for years, or have to reroute the line in a silly way once you figure out how popular the ride is (see: Batman at Great America's queue line - no longer used - where the entry moves from the park area, to the snack place next door, to ALL THE WAY in New Orlean's Place behind some rides. That hasn't been used in a while, but I've waited in it, and it is SO poorly put together...

..but the regular queue there is actually outstanding, they just had no idea that Batman would be the sort of hit that it was. I'll also say that it wasn't unnecessary, just poorly implemented.

I'm very happy that I came up with an item of discussion that has generated a ton of feedback. As I keep this topic going, I must add three rides, located at Six Flags America, that I feel has queuing lines that are unnecessary.:

I'd like to add Apocalypse to the list as well. I wonder if any of those queues even fill up during holidays.

Mean Streak has too long of a queue. Most all the other rides had waits and Mean Streak had a wait, but it took 5 minutes to walk to the station.

If your talking about the switchbacks in the middle, those have been removed. Now the queue is (more or less) a direct shot to the station with no switchbacks

There were a few, but it still was a really long walk to the station. Maybe it was just me.

Top Gun/Flight Deck at KI after the crash in 95 used the entire line.(not the one they use now with the entrance half way down the path) Running 1 train for most of the summer and it was a 2 hour wait. People got off the ride so mad they waited so long for such a short ride.

Also a couple pages back someone said King Cobra. That line wasn't that bad distance wise. It had a lot of unused switchbacks but walking all the way around the ride wasn't that long.

White Water Canyon is a very long walk but does fill up on Saturdays during he summer.

Kraken is pain in the behind when there is no wait. They couldn't make a shortcut?