TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Blackpool Pleasure Beach (BPB) Discussion Thread

The 4th is when I was last there (on honeymoon, so only spent half the day in the park)! Off topic, but when I was eating lunch, I saw some guys in the river caves had slowed their boat mid-ride so their friends in the next one caught up, and were transfering people from one boat to the next, for fun. Really dumb thing to do I think, but apparently its quite popular with some people in the UK enthusiast groups. Ok, back on topic...

They have been running Rollercoaster whenever either the Dipper or Nash has been down this season. Gold Mine I think is having a big refurb, but it has been running this year. We all know Ark and TT are having renovations too.

As for the accident, Im keeping an eye on the HSE site to see if they release any results of the investigation. I assume since its a public body carrying out an investigation for the interest of public safety, the report will be made public too. Unless any criminal charges are brough, which I hope doesnt have to be the case.

I'm not sure if criminal charges would be brought or not. It wouldn't surprise me if they were, since this was an entirely preventable accident, which essentially seems to have been caused by an employee dispatching a train when he/she shouldn't have.

And after this it wouldn't surprise me either if some control system has to be retrofitted to the ride to stop this happening again.

• 9 months later...

The Big Dipper rollercoaster derailed yesterday (June 5th) in exactly the same place where an accident took place in September where two trains collided.

I was there with the rollercoaster website Coasterforce at a meet-up and halfway through the afternoon we noticed that a Big Dipper train had become stuck when people from the surrounding area and attractions were evacuated. There didn't appear to many any ambulances whisking people away and there has been no media hysteria in the UK so I think it's safe to assume that nobody has been badly injured.

The park have apparently called this a simple "roll-back", however photos taken by Coasterforce members present during the day clearly show the front wheels of the 3rd car off the track.

I've attached a photo which shows the train stopped with the 3rd car clearly in an usual position. More detailed photos can be seen here: http://www.coasterforce.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=28504&start=14

dipperaccident2.jpg.6fc7e3a65f5e88ac8541236b5db1dc43.jpg

Photo from www.Coasterforce.com

Every time I stay parkside in Big Blue, you see the guys walking the track very early on every morning, hammering nails etc. They seemed to pay alot of attention to the bottom of the dip and hill leading to where that coaster is sitting. Perhaps thats becoming a problem area for the ride.

Was the track at the bottom of that dip replaced/repaired after the incident as well as the track on the climb?

• 1 month later...

Blackpool Pleasure Beach have anounced that they will open Nickelodeon Land in 2011, noticed it reported on Coasterforce so thought I would share the information here.

More information can be found on these links.

http://www.nickelodeonland.com/

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/nickelodeon-enters-licensing-agreement-for-new-nick-branded-attraction-at-pleasure-beach-theme-park-in-blackpool-england-99299419.html

http://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/news-video/Pleasure-Beach-unveil-10m-park.6441454.jp

http://www.coasterforce.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=682592#682592

"Pleasure Beach, Blackpool, is delighted to announce the launch of Nickelodeon Land which will open at Britain's favourite tourist attraction in April 2011. Nickelodeon Land represents an investment of £10.3m.

This collaboration between Pleasure Beach, Blackpool and Nickelodeon, the number one entertainment brand for kids, will see a 6 acre area of Pleasure Beach transformed into Nickelodeon Land, which will feature 14 rides, 9 are brand new and 5 are extensively re-themed existing rides. Nickelodeon Land also includes themed retail and catering outlets.

New rides include SpongeBob's Splash Bash, which is an interactive ride where riders have the opportunity to turn the jets onto their friends and blast pesky jellyfish with jets of water for a splashing time. Avatar Airbender allows riders to join Aang on an amazing adventure, spinning and soaring through the air on a giant disk. The Rugrat's Lost River is a rollicking flume ride where you join the Rugrats on their quest to find the mythical Temple of Spoon.

Amanda Thompson, Managing Director of Pleasure Beach, Blackpool, comments, "We are delighted to welcome Nickelodeon to Pleasure Beach. Both of our brands represent fantastic family fun and Nickelodeon Land will combine Pleasure Beach's reputation for amazing rides and attractions with Nickelodeon's favourite fun characters to produce a wonderful attraction, which will wow visitors to the park."

"Pleasure Beach is a first-class amusement park and popular destination for families in the U.K." said Gerald Raines, Senior Director, Nickelodeon Theme Parks and Attractions. "This is an ideal location for Nickelodeon and a great opportunity to expand our global presence. We look forward to offering Pleasure Beach patrons experiences that are unique to Nickelodeon and based on fan favourites like SpongeBob SquarePants and Dora the Explorer."

Work on Nickelodeon Land will commence in the Autumn of 2010 and is scheduled to open in April 2011.

There is a map as well.

I think it is great for the park as it will inject new life into it, get more visitors for future investment.

It should also mean Rollercoaster is open and not just sitting there

According to the map, it looks like this will take up the entire kiddie area at the back of the park, as well as Space Invaders will be incorporated into this new land.

It looks like the Blackpool beavers may be no more.

New rides include SpongeBob's Splash Bash, which is an interactive ride where riders have the opportunity to turn the jets onto their friends and blast pesky jellyfish with jets of water for a splashing time. Avatar Airbender allows riders to join Aang on an amazing adventure, spinning and soaring through the air on a giant disk. The Rugrat's Lost River is a rollicking flume ride where you join the Rugrats on their quest to find the mythical Temple of Spoon.

I'm thinking a Splash Battle, a disko perhaps? and a re theme of the kiddie log flume?

either way, this is great news!

It looks like Rollercoaster and Zipper Dipper are getting a re theme as well.

Space Invaders was sold the other month to Brean I think it was, the building is meant to be turned into a resturant or something like that.

Blackpool were meant to be getting the new Mack Twist n Splash ride, so not sure if it's going to be a Splash Battle or that.

I think its great news for the park though, at last some good investment.

Edited by senna

It looks like the Blackpool beavers may be no more.

That is correct. I sort of hinted about this in my Blackpool update (Take a looong look at Beaver Creek) but obviously I couldn't really say anything because it hadn't been announced yet.

I will miss the beaver.

Edited by robbalvey

This is good news. Encouraging that the park is still moving forward despite things being pretty tough there just now. I personally think its a better decision to have a whole new land like this, rather than them blowing the same investment on one big kick-ass new ride. Some folks have been bitching about that.

Can anyone guess which of the listed attractions the Magic Mountain will become? I always found that ride fun and disturbing, mostly cos of that damn toy shop song. Maybe the retheme will remove the disturbing part.

Im guessing frog hopper will become the Krusty Krab thing.

Im also really happy that Rollercoaster is part of the plan. Ive missed being able to ride it my last few visits.

I am going to quietly hope thats this is also a good sign for the rest of the park in the decade to come.

EDIT: And if anyone misses the bevers that much, you can always make your own furry-tastic beaver costume.

Well, I guess they had to do something with all those Nickelodeon figures they took out of the Cedar Fair parks....

I'm with Ledgy on this one: It makes perfect sense from a financial standpoint, but at the same time it will take away some of the "uniqueness" of the park. Then again, I guess a Nick-themed area is pretty unique in the UK, as I didn't notice it at any other park we visited, so I'm probably just jaded.

And yes, anything that brings Rollercoaster back from the grave probably isn't a bad thing. Shame Magic Mountain has to go, though. I enjoyed that ride.

I have a feeling that Magic Mountain will become the Dora the Explorer ride... And you thought it couldn't get any more annoying?

Oh the whole.. I think this will be a much needed boost for Blackpool. They've been content with taking out rides and putting in fountains for the past couple of years so this is much needed! Part of Blackpool's charm is it's quirkyness and unique style of things, but hopefully they will be able to incorporate the Nickolodeon branding into this.

Oh and re-open Noah's Ark please. It sucks as a garden ornament.

Looks like a nice addition/retheme that should be very easy to identify with children and draw more families to the Blackpool area for holiday. I'm just happy that Zipper Dipper and Rollercoaster appear to be staying, renamed to Blue Flyer and Nickelodeon Streak.