TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Blackpool Pleasure Beach (BPB) Discussion Thread

Along with the announcement of "Red Arrows Sky Force" today the park released a press release which can be found here.

Blackpool Pleasure Beach is reaching for the skies with a brand new ride for 2015!

The 42-acre amusement park has joined forces with the world famous Royal Air Force Aerobatic Team, the Red Arrows, to launch a unique thrill ride which will take excitement sky-high!

In another world first, Blackpool Pleasure Beach will become the world’s first tourist attraction to have a ride based on the planet’s best aerobatic display team.

Preparing for deployment in the Spring, the ride’s aircraft will provide an exhilarating experience like no other!

Loved across the planet for their jaw-dropping displays which have thrilled millions, the pride of the Royal Air Force will now be represented at the *UK’s number one amusement park in a unique partnership where the rider takes control of their own plane to become a master of the skies.

Complete in Red Arrows livery, the brand new ride will also feature its own control tower from which novice pilots will be prepared for take-off.

The 72ft high, 12-seat white-knuckle ride will take you on a 360-degree tour of the skies and sits in the shadow of the world famous Big One rollercoaster. Stepping into your very own Red Arrows cockpit, you take control of the plane and spin, glide and take formation in your very own display.

Red Arrows Sky Force will have you spinning, swirling and exciting the senses while your fellow pilots take control of their own flights before touching down and checking out a dedicated a Red Arrows shop, which will feature exclusive merchandise and souvenirs designed for Blackpool Pleasure Beach.

Deputy Managing Director of Blackpool Pleasure Beach, Nick Thompson, said: “We cannot wait to launch our new ride for the 2015 season. We are the first amusement park in the UK to work with the Red Arrows on such an exciting project and we know it will be something unique for thrill-seekers to experience.

Managing Director of Blackpool Pleasure Beach, Amanda Thompson OBE, said: “The Red Arrows are a British institution so it was a perfect fit for the UK’s number one amusement park to work with them. They are an amazing sight to see when they are in the skies and I am certain our new ride will give our guests a unique thrill they will want to experience again and again.”

Squadron Leader Ruth Shackleton, Team Manager of the Royal Air Force Aerobatic Team, said: “The Red Arrows have enjoyed a long association with Blackpool at the Pleasure Beach during the team’s 50-year history.

“The new Sky Force ride is a wonderful, and unique, means to continue this relationship and provides an exciting way for people to learn more about the Red Arrows, the Royal Air Force and the role the Service plays in protecting the UK. The team are also thrilled the ride will take pride of place adjacent to the Big One. It is also fantastic that the north west of England will get to enjoy and play host to a permanent Red Arrows experience.”

Final_600v2.png.e26723c91600e929f20946ace216edff.png

Get ready to pilot your very own Red Arrows jet!

So Pleasure Beach managed to trick us all into thinking that it was an Air Race but turned out to be a Sky Fly! Personally I think this is a better decision as it will allow more people to experience the ride as I have seen many people turn away form an Air Race due to the insane amount of spinning.

What are your thoughts on this? Will you head out to the park to try this in 2015? Post your comments below!

-Craig

I have a love/hate relationship with this ride - Personally, I love it, as ever time I've ridden one I've been able to get it to flip a massive amount of times with no problem. But...I hate it that I've seen many people who have tried and tried to get it to flip and spin, and they can't, and you end up wasting your time in line and get a boring ride.

It's not like a tea cup where no matter what you do, you can get it to spin and you can control how much spinning you want. On this ride, it's not as easy and just turning a wheel to get your vehicle to flip, it takes some practice and learning. I'd be annoyed if I spent any length of time in line, and got a crappy ride, based on the fact that the design of the ride itself isn't totally intuitive to everyone.

I wish there was some button you could press that basically said "if you suck and getting it to flip, press here and we'll do it for you" so it at least guarantees that everyone who has spent their time in line can get a decent ride.

Overall, though, great addition as I am a fan of these rides.

I have a love/hate relationship with this ride - Personally, I love it, as ever time I've ridden one I've been able to get it to flip a massive amount of times with no problem. But...I hate it that I've seen many people who have tried and tried to get it to flip and spin, and they can't, and you end up wasting your time in line and get a boring ride.

Thats actually quite a good point. I remember when we were at Bakken seeing a lot of people struggling to get the ride to flip. It will be interesting to see how many people do struggle with it at Blackpool. I wonder if there will be some sort of "how to" video in the queue line with the Red Arrows pilots to give people a decent understanding on how to actually get them to flip.

-Craig

I had no idea these things existed until a couple of weeks ago when I went to Nigloland and I loved it! Interesting to hear that some people struggle to get them spinning, I just did what I thought would work and ha a great ride, I guess I've ridden flyers and stuff though so others might not figure it out as quickly.

So the release says "in the shadow of the big one", is that the bling location then or something?

TP you are a more technical person than the average public. I also got mine spinning the first try at Wherever I went on one of these in Germany but I know a lot of people were having issues.

I'd definitely go on one of these again.

I had no idea these things existed until a couple of weeks ago when I went to Nigloland and I loved it! Interesting to hear that some people struggle to get them spinning, I just did what I thought would work and ha a great ride, I guess I've ridden flyers and stuff though so others might not figure it out as quickly.

So the release says "in the shadow of the big one", is that the bling location then or something?

I think in is in the old Bling location.

While mastering the spinning at Nigloland, were you able to hold on to your wallet.

^^^

TP you are a more technical person than the average public. I also got mine spinning the first try at Wherever I went on one of these in Germany but I know a lot of people were having issues.

I'd definitely go on one of these again.

Jon, I remember how you rode this on the Oktoberfest trip at Belantis park.

I was right behind you I think and you just spun and spun and spun non-stop

I was amazed at how you got the knack so fast.

Slighty different model, more like the old Condor rides, just went up and stayed up.

Glad BPB is getting this one.

They're a lot of fun.

Found this video of one guy doing some epic flipping but can totally see why some people would be bored

OMG! How could he take that much spinning for that long?!

And yes, I can see why some people don't get it going. You either have to know something about aerodynamics or, I don't know, just get the hang of it naturally.

^^^ Jon, I remember how you rode this on the Oktoberfest trip at Belantis park. I was right behind you I think and you just spun and spun and spun non-stop I was amazed at how you got the knack so fast. Slighty different model, more like the old Condor rides, just went up and stayed up. Glad BPB is getting this one. They're a lot of fun.

Fran!!!

I'm still shocked I didn't puke on that thing. I was soooo dizzy afterwards. . That was one of my favorite trips.

When I was at the park recently the old Bling location was fenced off and the area being cleaned so I would assume it is going to be located there.

IMG_4215.thumb.jpg.e2211fa8bb48fbef16fcab36b88028b8.jpg

Not much going on during my visit.

These are super fun! One of the most intense flats out there if you know what you're doing. Last time I went insane-speed through the whole cycle, I ended up experiencing some temporary hearing loss. Although I agree with Robb, an unfortunately high percentage of the public can't figure it out. Hopefully it will be well-received.

It's not like a tea cup where no matter what you do, you can get it to spin and you can control how much spinning you want. On this ride, it's not as easy and just turning a wheel to get your vehicle to flip, it takes some practice and learning. I'd be annoyed if I spent any length of time in line, and got a crappy ride, based on the fact that the design of the ride itself isn't totally intuitive to everyone.

I wish there was some button you could press that basically said "if you suck and getting it to flip, press here and we'll do it for you" so it at least guarantees that everyone who has spent their time in line can get a decent ride.

Overall, though, great addition as I am a fan of these rides.

I totally agree with Robb. I rode this when they had the Ninja Turtle version at the MOA in MN and I rode the ride a few times with friends. I figured out that it has nothing to do with the flaps and everything to do with where you put your weight and when. I was able to go on a flipping spree which got me pretty dizzy!! My friends on the other hand were all pretty upset that their ride was just mediocre at best. I think one of them got it to flip one time. Great ride IMO.

Blackpool Pleasure Beach has made the news and this time it sadly was not for the new ride. A freak accident happened on Grand National where a gentleman with a pre existing medical condition broke his neck while riding.

Here is the article:

A man has been left fighting for his life in hospital after being paralysed in a freak injury on a ride at Blackpool Pleasure Beach.

Robert Sycamore, 58, is being kept alive by a life support machine at the Royal Preston Hospital after he broke his neck while riding on the Grand National.

Mr Sycamore, who was known to suffer from spondylitis, inflammation of the vertebrae in the back, was visiting the resort with his family when he took his great-nephew on their first ride of the day at the park. But he was unable to get out of the train and had to be cut free by firefighters.

His distraught family today said it is a mystery how he was so seriously injured. Darren Parlour, Mr Sycamore’s nephew, said: “My son was with him and he’s come back screaming. Rob’s a big bloke and he was down in the footwell of the carriage.

“His ear was on his shoulder and he was totally blue and black.

“His neck snapped – the muscles collapsed and he’s just melted into the seat.

“I climbed in with Rob and was holding his head so it didn’t move.

“The emergency services were unbelievable – how he stayed alive, I don’t know.”

The family have now been left waiting to see if Mr Sycamore, who remains in a critical condition after being cut out of the ride, will pull through.

“The surgeon said they can only take things minute by minute but any use of his body is a definite no,” added Mr Parlour.

“The main concern now is keeping his heart and lungs going.

“We don’t know how it happened or why it happened. We don’t blame anyone, we are just shocked.

“We don’t know if he hit his head – only time will tell.”

“He used to work as a JCB driver and that jolts you and bangs you about,” he added.

He said members of the family are now facing making a 700-mile round trip from their homes in Norwich and Ipswich, where Mr Sycamore lives with his wife Sylvia, to visit him in hospital.

A spokesman for Blackpool Pleasure Beach said there appears to be no mechanical problem with the ride He said: “There was an incident on the Grand National in which Robert Sycamore required emergency treatment from the emergency services.

“We do wish Mr Sycamore the earliest recovery and we are in contact with his family.

“Our enquiries have not revealed any faults or problems with the ride which has carried almost 500,000 guests in 2014 without incident. We do now understand that Mr Sycamore had an underlying back condition.”

A North West Ambulance Service spokesman said: “We got a call at 12.40pm on Friday to a male patient in his 50s at Blackpool Pleasure Beach with potential neck injuries.

“He was taken to Blackpool Victoria Hospital.”

A Lancashire Fire and Rescue spokesman confirmed crews had been sent to assist paramedics.

The Grand National wooden rollercoaster was first designed in 1935 and remains one of just three rides of its kind left in the world.

It is a twin track ride which sees two trains “compete” with each other on parallel 6,600ft tracks at speeds of up to 50mph.

In May 2004 the ride hit the headlines after it was badly damaged by a fire.

Its extremely sad for the family that this has happened and the fact that he now has no use of his whole body is such a shame. It is very refreshing however to see that the family are not blaming anyone and understand this was a freak accident! I wish the family the best possible outcome with this situation.

-Craig

• 5 months later...