TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Blackpool Pleasure Beach (BPB) Discussion Thread

They could spend several years building a clone of it.....

Then I assume you can magically conjure up a viable chassis for the Flying Turns that can run day in and day out with all the stresses placed on it by the layout of the ride?

You should totally call up Mike Boodley and tell him he's not doing a good job.

Anyway, I'd hate to see Wild Mouse torn down. It looks like a really crazy classic coaster. (Yay for alliteration!)

2 visits this year and one visit last year - and Wild Mouse not ridden. It was never open - and never a sign of anyone working on it, so for many of us it is just a pretty pile of wood with a fresh coat of white paint. Always enjoyed it - despite the queue time as each year seemed to be less cars on the track

Isn't Amanda Thomson the same evil person who had the Pleasureland Cyclone demolished, yet saved the SLC?

Let's be honest here... was the Pleasureland Cyclone REALLY that great? No....

On the positive side she probably also had a say in KEEPING and refurbing Rollercoaster to be included in the Nickelodeon area, right?

I've met Amanda Thompson a few times. I don't think she's evil. I do think she might not have the best business sense when it comes to theme park operations, but then again, her background is in the shows, so it's not her focus.

I'm not surprised by some of these decisions though. I'm not sure what direction the park is heading in, or even if they know....

Its all over the net now that they have confirmed permanent closure of the monorail.

Im sad (for nostalgia) but not surprised. Over the last 5 years whenever Ive ridden it there were only ever a few people on it. Maybe it was hemoraging to much money for the rider numbers. Or maybe they want the space for some Wallace and Gromit related thing.

I prefered to use Monorail as my 'relaxation' ride over pleasure beach express as the views are better and it doesnt make that 'nails on the blackboard' squeal like the train does.

I remeber as kids when the paradise room was still a family bar. It had the model railway, the wonderful world of entertainment (which looked creepy as hell up there) the coin-op scramble bikes and the second monorail station (this was before ocean boulevard was built up). My partents would stick me and my sis on it for a few trips round while they had a pint and a glass of wine. I thought it was brilliant.

Anyhoo, they are also ditching rock fm, which I probably wont notice is gone, never mind miss it.

I wonder where blackpool is going. Seems like the park image and focus is changing, but Ive no clue what its changing into.

Awww...BeemerBoy is crying in a corner somewhere mourning the loss of another monorail. Sad.

I agree with a lot of what's been said. We're not local so we don't follow everything that closely but we've heard a lot of our British members bitch over and over again about the direction the park is going. A lot of it does look suspect, but you just have to hope they have some sort of plan or there are bigger reasons behind some of these decisions.

In the early 2000's, BPB was an amazing park. Full to the brim of rides, open all hours, and no queues in sight!

Obviously, that could not last, so they have had to do something. They tried charging the earth for wristbands, that didn't work, so they've now had to remove some of the rides.

Yes its guttering, and I'm very sad to see the park start loosing its 'unique' feel, but they had to something. The BPB we have now is a lot better than no BPB at all.

• 2 weeks later...

I too hope it's not the Grand Prix. That car ride is excellent, very unique how it travels a surprisingly long way. It's exactly like much will fit in it's location but saying that, the monorail runs paralllel to a segment of it so if they remove that and the ride at the same time it would make sense. The station end, it that was removed along with the helixes would give a nice large area to play with. It would be a shame to see it go though and if it does, I hope they don't replace it with a fountain!

• 2 months later...
I too hope it's not the Grand Prix. That car ride is excellent, very unique how it travels a surprisingly long way. It's exactly like much will fit in it's location but saying that, the monorail runs paralllel to a segment of it so if they remove that and the ride at the same time it would make sense. The station end, it that was removed along with the helixes would give a nice large area to play with. It would be a shame to see it go though and if it does, I hope they don't replace it with a fountain!

Sorry to bump an old topic, but I thought I'd share some updates with you regarding the 2013 season at the Pleasure Beach.

The Grand Prix will be open in the 2013 season.

The Monorail will be closed this year, but it may open during the summer to help with the busy crowds.

The new Wallace and Gromit Thrill-O-Matic attracion which is the Goldmine's replacement, is due for an April opening.

• 5 months later...