TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Floater or Ejector Air, your preference?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually like both, but the most important thing to me is that the ride is actually fun.

For example, Goliath at SFMM. It has a cool first drop and a little bit of "floater" airtime on the 2nd hill but that's about it. The rest of the ride is a total miss for me. I used to love it until I started riding other better coasters. On the flip side if you look at a ride like Nitro or even Goliath at SFOG, they both have some nice floater airtime but are also fun layouts and fun rides.

On the ejector side, If you look at rides like El Toro, Phoenix, and I305, it's not just the crazy ejector airtime that makes these rides. It's that they are great layouts and are just flat out fun.

Love them both because they are both elements of a good ride but since you want a preference I prefer floater air, sustained or sudden. Just like that feeling I guess, Diamond Back is a good example of floater air that I enjoy. But then again, who doesn't like the ejector air on top of Maverick's first hill? Having both kinds makes the ride more fun for me because floater air provides the 'fun' and ejector air or good turns provides the 'intensity' that I like in a good ride.

I generally prefer floater style airtime... For me, I find the airtime on Leviathan for example more enjoyable than El Toro...Yet I love Mavericks airtime hill prior to the horseshoe element... Millennium Force's 3rd and 4th hill (by the station).. El Toro was excellent though, especially backseat on that first drop.

I tend to like abrupt, quick airtime though... For example, the dip out of the helix portion on Wildcat at Hershey by the station midway through. GCI's tend to have these moments pretty well, which is why I tend to really enjoy their designs.

Its all good though.

I love ejector air. I love feeling like I'm going to be flung out of the train. Floater air is fun and enjoyable, but I much prefer ejector air.

I feel the same way. This probably will sound strange to most of you, but I want to be scared or feel like the ride is pushing it to the absolute limit of safety.. I want to feel like there is a chance I might die. Ejector air all day.

-chris "darlin' I don't know why, I go to extremes" con

Edited by Chroniq

Ejector air if it's comfortable. I live in California without much airtime so I don't know if I have experienced hardcore ejector airtime... I've never been on Maverick or Torro... but I LOVE the airtime on Tower of Terror... and I would classify part of that ride(second drop sequence, first "powered launch" on the California version) as pretty extreme ejector airtime. AND I LOVE IT!

But I LOVE the airtime on Tower of Terror... and I would classify part of that ride(second drop sequence, first "powered launch" on the California version) as pretty extreme ejector airtime. AND I LOVE IT!

I've been on both of the American ToT rides, and as much as I want them to be ejector air, I don't think it really hits the mark... For me, at least. The ride's signature "OH S***" drop seems to be right in between the borders of Floater and Ejector for me.

Let's just call that kind of airtime "Flector" airtime or something for now.

• 5 months later...

Floater is good fun and usually more comfortable. Despite that, ejector is just awesome! The ride that gave me the most airtime to date was Skyrush and, although it was a bit painful, it was insane! Loved it. I also liked the airtime Fahrenheit gave me on that small hill right after the tight overbank as, despite being less than Skyrush, it was a lot more comfortable. So ejector for me, please!

I like both, but over the years, as I have become a more jaded enthusiast, I've come to be much more impressed with ejector air. The only ejector stuff I don't like is where I would get slammed into the restraints and then back down into my seat, like on Magnum. If it's something where I'm in constant contact with the restraint or the kind where you wouldn't normally end up touching the restraint (like a really old woodie with a buzz bar, for instance), then I'm all for it.

IMO there's nothing better than "rip you out of your seat" airtime, and my mind was blown by the airtime I experienced on El Toro and Skyrush. But I don't mind taking a relaxing ride on a good B&M hyper ever so often to get that nice floater air.

• 2 years later...

I enjoy floater and ejector air just about equally, but if I was forced to choose, I'd give the slight edge to ejector. I enjoy the floaty airtime feeling you get on B&M hypers like Diamondback and Raging Bull, but the ejector air on rides like Maverick and Magnum is truly breathtaking .