TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Rise of Intamin

What I find surprising is that for a company that has the largest variety of coasters available there haven't been many of rides sold like their spinning coaster and suspended looping coaster at Sarkanniemi, which I would love to try.

Their inverted coasters aren't known for having very good capacity as far as I've heard (or witnessed with Volcano at Kings Dominion). The spinning coaster (ironically, same name) was touted as being almost too intense for some people who aren't prepared for how it handles. Granted, I'd like to see more of both of these coasters as well, and a slightly more tame version of a spinning coaster built but with inversions!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^Shane, awesome stuff as always. Love looking through attic thread.

B&M was king in the 90's because their track was able to perform elements that other companies couldn't do at the time and did so smoothly.

The 90s sure kicked off the race to building some amazing stuff out there, especially with both Intamin and B&M working with Stengel. I'm really happy that Intamin kept that relationship. I think it was a huge benefit to them, especially with securing multi-park contracts when chains were looking for something new and exciting in the 2000s. Intamin sure delivered the right stuff at the right time during the 'coaster wars'. Timing sure is everything since multi-park contracts really help contribute to a a manufacturer's popularity in varying degrees over time--B&M with Busch in the 90s, Morgan as the "go to" for larger coasters at new Cedar Fair parks when they expanded the first time, Intamin with both Six Flags and Cedar Fair in the 2000s, Premier with Six Flags, B&M replacing Morgan as Cedar Fair's "go to" to for large coasters at the old Paramount parks and now RMC with Six Flags.

I'm surprised more of those Parachute Gyro Towers weren't made. Anyways, back on the subject of Intamin's 'rise', I always found it interesting how the outdoor portion of Lotte World would always load up on Intamin. I know that they were taking advantage of having lots of space, being outside, so they got some large tower rides, like their Barnstormer & Gyro Drop, and then add some more unique roller coasters, like Comet Express or Atlantis Adventure. Whenever I think "an abundance of Intamin", that's one of the parks that first comes to mind.

The catalog was very interesting to look through, I was even born for some of the older ones! My favorites were the Looping Starship and the Spiral Coaster. I never got to ride any of either type. Does anyone know where either one of these types of rides can be found?

The catalog was very interesting to look through, I was even born for some of the older ones! My favorites were the Looping Starship and the Spiral Coaster. I never got to ride any of either type. Does anyone know where either one of these types of rides can be found?

There are quite a few Looping Starships in the U.S. You can find one at Kings Dominion, Carowinds, Busch Gardens Tampa, Valleyfair, and California's Great America. They are one of my favorite flat rides.

I believe there was only one Spiral Coaster made and it was located in a mall in the Middle East or Asia.

With so many manufacturers offering Ferris Wheels I'd love for Intamin to bring back the Double Swivel Wheel/Tree Triple Wheels (i.e. Zodiac at Kings Island, Sky Whirl at SFGAm).

Thanks for posting that great brochure!

Does anyone know of any Intamin Gondola Cableways that were built in parks? When it comes to detachable cableways in theme parks I can't think of a single one that isn't a Von Roll (or if it's a newer ride a Poma or Dopplemayr but sadly there aren't many "newer" skyways).

Sorry for the amazingly nerdy question.

Thanks for posting that great brochure!

Does anyone know of any Intamin Gondola Cableways that were built in parks? When it comes to detachable cableways in theme parks I can't think of a single one that isn't a Von Roll (or if it's a newer ride a Poma or Dopplemayr but sadly there aren't many "newer" skyways).

Sorry for the amazingly nerdy question.

Kings Dominion had a Gondola Cableway. Hersheypark did until the end of 1991 and was presumed to be relocated to Dream World Park in Thailand where it still operates with a more generic theme than it used to have. SFMM also had two that had gondolas made by a different company. The final one was built for Parque de la Ciudad in Argentina, which has three stations and is sitting abandoned.

A little historical background from what I could find is that Giovanola used to manufacture gondola lifts for ski resorts, but I think they ran into some financial problems and eventually began to partner with Intamin to build and sell them. Giovanola owns the patent to the cable grips that the gondolas used and according to KD fan-site Facebook page, they were pretty complicated as far as the number of pieces in each one.

They produce exciting rides. B&M are producing more and more lumbering and unremarkable rides these days. Intamin seem to be catering for the needs for the true thrillseeker with their efforts on speed and height.

They produce exciting rides. B&M are producing more and more lumbering and unremarkable rides these days. Intamin seem to be catering for the needs for the true thrillseeker with their efforts on speed and height.

I've never ridden a B&M even close to lumbering so I find it odd that you have encountered so many. B&M's biggest fault is that their rides were so well engineered they revolutionized and for a while pretty much monopolized steel roller coasters, so there are so darn many of them these days that one can practically feel the ride just by watching it. At this point they are a victim of their own success.

A B&M inverted these days is only unremarkable to me because I've ridden a dozen or more of them so it's hard for a new one to provide something different. But I am very, very excited to ride a B&M giga, a slate of B&M hypers, and a couple wing coasters because I know that with a B&M comes a level of quality that Intamin is not a sure bet to match. I've only very very rarely encountered headbanging on a B&M while my head was bashed violently by rides like Maverick. I've never had to wait over an hour for a B&M because it's max capacity is scarcely half that of most large coasters.

During the past decade B&M have predominantly created things that lumber during changes of direction, the crazy helices and other elements of the 1990s seem to be long gone. Yes, there is the odd exception - but the definite trend now is for comparatively forceless rides.

On the other hand, Intamin have been bold and innovative and they are reaping the rewards.

On the other hand, Intamin have been bold and innovative and they are reaping the rewards.

You mean things like consistent unexpected downtime and ride redesigns less than two years after opening?

You mean things like consistent unexpected downtime and ride redesigns less than two years after opening?

Exactly! You've got to mix things up a bit in terms of not knowing you will be able to ride or not!

What I find surprising is that for a company that has the largest variety of coasters available there haven't been many of rides sold like their spinning coaster and suspended looping coaster at Sarkanniemi, which I would love to try.

The spinning coaster system Intamin offers is the most expensive spinning coaster on the market, that's why it dosen't sell. Add to this that the only one who exist is in a small park that isn't very well known by park owners, and that it's a ridiculous intense thrill machine. All these things are the main reason why no more have been built.

I would love to see a more family friendly version of Tornado, I think it could be awesome.

They do have a new version of the train on their website, so they probably have an improved version they are hoping to sell!

As for the inverted rides, I really have no clue. For me it seems like a no brainer to buy an Intamin SLC before a Vekoma one. I would love to see another launched one like Volcano, with todays technology. Imagine what could be created there!

A Lexus will always start. A Porsche? Not so much. Nevertheless, ask driving enthusiasts which car they'd rather drive

Maybe you should have picked a Ferrari or a Lamborghini as most Porsches (at least nowadays) are fairly reliable

A Lexus will always start. A Porsche? Not so much. Nevertheless, ask driving enthusiasts which car they'd rather drive

Maybe you should have picked a Ferrari or a Lamborghini as most Porsches (at least nowadays) are fairly reliable

Those are in a whole 'nother league especially when you factor in price, I was trying to keep it simple

My thoughts on these two Tornados which I enjoyed.

The SLC is superior to the Vekoma product, but I don't think more have been built because it is not a huge difference from what B&M can achieve in the invert arena.

Bakken's Tornado is probably a little too intense for most park's looking for a coaster of this size. Although any park low on space should consider one if they don't want a typical family coaster.

...As for the inverted rides, I really have no clue. For me it seems like a no brainer to buy an Intamin SLC before a Vekoma one. I would love to see another launched one like Volcano, with todays technology. Imagine what could be created there!

What I'd really like to see, is an iSpeed, Cheetah Hunt, or Maverick style coaster (blitz coaster?), but in an inverted version. Imagine a Maverick-esque coaster, whilst hanging under the track, some Volcano style heartline rolls, 90+ degree drop?! I for one think it would be pretty badass.