TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

First Defunct B&M?

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it with be either one of the Vortexes at California's Great America or Carowinds because I've never heard anything good about either of those rides. Plus, they are some of B&M's oldest coasters. However, since they are only 23 and 22 years old respectively, it will probably be at least another decade or so before they head to the junkyard.

Or, perhaps those coasters could possibly go the Mantis-Rougarou route and get new floorless trains.

I think the Vortex at CGA gets a worse rep than Vortex at Carowinds. I don't have a problem with Stand-ups, but from what I've read on this forum, some think that it's OK but still a stand-up.

[EDIT] referring to Vortex at Carowinds as the OK stand-up.

Frankly I'd like to see B&M make a traditional sit down coaster with a similar layout to Drachen Fire!

Traditional? Elaborate, please.

I think traditional B&M means snappy inversions, high positive G's and using the trains with more straight up seats and better restraints. In short, better B&M

I don't know why but I feel that how straight the seats are does have a bit of an impact on the way it rides. I'm totally fine with having OTSR (the old ones) on most B&Ms as 1: They generally aren't rough 2: they allow the seats to be nearly straight 3: they stay looser during the ride than most lap bars allowing you to float around.

• 1 year later...
The SFMM one I rode was a little rough by B&M standards

Not only do I disagree with this, but I actually think the inverted coasters maintain their smoothness better than any other B&M coaster type. Almost all of the floorless coasters have developed a rattle, as have many of the older hypers... but I find the inverted coasters (including the Magic Mountain and Great Adventure Batman rides) to be perfectly smooth and one of B&M's best rides.

The B&M Rattle is noticeable, but these coasters are all still very enjoyable. I don't mean to make it a bigger deal than it is, I'm just pointing out that I have never noticed it on any B&M invert that I've ridden.

The Batman rides are perfect, I see no reason to change anything about them (or do something stupid like turn the trains around backwards... ahem) and I definitely don't see any of them being removed in the near future.

Agreed.. One of the smoothest coasters I've ever done was a batman clone. Only coaster that was smoother was the Mindbender at Galaxyland.

As for the rattle, it's a real issue on some other coaster types. Take behemoth at Canada's wonderland, or any of the new hypers, which had a rattle just a year or two after opening.

I imagine others have said this same thing (have only read a few other responses so far) but I am going to say vortex at Carowinds. They could add floorless trains to it but it would still be pretty crappy and Carowinds is trying to be more world class now. What about Rougarou? It was a better coaster to begin with I don't think they would do it to a stand up this small.

If something doesn't happen to Led Zeppelin sometime soon, that one could just be the first! This will be, what, four years since the park last operated?

Is it possible that it was relocated? or has it been too long since it was last used...?

It's been re located.

While not defunct, is The Incredible Hulk Coaster the first to have its track and trains scrapped?

Sucks, because they were the First-Gen awesome sitdown trains. I hope they're not swapping them for the Second-Gen (Wildfire/Rolling La-Z-Boy with OTSR)- trains.

Sucks, because they were the First-Gen awesome sitdown trains. I hope they're not swapping them for the Second-Gen (Wildfire/Rolling La-Z-Boy with OTSR)- trains.

Who said the new trains had to have OTSR?

No one- just saying that the First-Gen trains that Hulk ran are preferable to the Second-Gen trains found on Wildfire, and if it's between the two, I'd rather they stick with what worked well all this time.

No one- just saying that the First-Gen trains that Hulk ran are preferable to the Second-Gen trains found on Wildfire, and if it's between the two, I'd rather they stick with what worked well all this time.

Yeah, I have to agree. I don't like the idea of Hulk without OTSR. Just...no.

I never would have thought that Hulk would be the first one to go, technically.

Same here. I was pretty surprised to see photos of parts show up at a scrap yard, including the trains! My initial thought was "how could they?!?!" But then I think back to the complaints I hear of the ride having a bad rattle and being a little rough in some seats. Plus, if they're doing anything with the launch system (especially after Thunderbird's success), then I'd bet it's because the park is sick of having to replace all those tires!

Yeah, I have to agree. I don't like the idea of Hulk without OTSR. Just...no.

Vest restraints? Sure! Overhead lap restraints, plus the ride following the same course as before...? Maybe.