TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

First Defunct B&M?

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^O.K. so Mantis should be saved as in relocated to another park like Michigan's Adventure, Valleyfair, Darien Lake, or a Six Flags park!

Not Six Flags, DL, or a crummy CF park. That's like having vekoma retracking an Intamin.

I would have to guess Vortex at CGA, or Carowinds.

• 2 weeks later...

I feel 98% positive Mantis will not be the first to go. Although someone was right in the CP thread that it may be the first B&M ride experience to be gone forever (I guess not counting Sheikra). Mantis will be have to be relocated or converted, OR BOTH! Relocated AND turned floorless...there's an idea.

I would still have to guess the two Vortexes. Or maybe a random one somewhere overseas that just randomly shuts down one day and never reopens.

Has anyone considered that the first defunct B&M may have already happened? While Drachen Fire wasn't manufactured by B&M, B&M certainly had a major role in the design portion. The argument could go either way. However, I think the first defunct B&M will be vortex at CGA.

Drachen Fire was to be made by B&M, but Busch went with Arrow to build the coaster instead. The layout design for Drachen Fire was inspired by B&M. Frankly I think that Drachen Fire would have been a better coaster and still around if it was build by B&M instead of Arrow. So in other words Drachen Fire was not a B&M coaster!

Sure, it might be Mantis, but I doubt it. Even if they do remove flit from CP, why waste such a big coaster? I think it might be sent to another Cedar Fair park, even though I would love to see it scrapped.

Unless it is the floorless conversion, and if that's the case, then you can ignore everything you just read.

Has anyone considered that the first defunct B&M may have already happened? While Drachen Fire wasn't manufactured by B&M, B&M certainly had a major role in the design portion. The argument could go either way. However, I think the first defunct B&M will be vortex at CGA.

Drachen Fire was to be made by B&M, but Busch went with Arrow to build the coaster instead. The layout design for Drachen Fire was inspired by B&M. Frankly I think that Drachen Fire would have been a better coaster and still around if it was build by B&M instead of Arrow. So in other words Drachen Fire was not a B&M coaster!

My brain just hatched a great idea for BGW's future.....

Drachen Fire rebuilt as a B&M Wing Coaster...Complete with a keyhole element through the cutback and the diving corkscrew in place. Der Drache Kehrt or The Dragon Returns.....

I have a strong feeling it will be Vortex as well. In both of my visits to Great America, it was a walk-on basically all day even though the other coasters had at least 30 minute waits. I could see Cedar Fair relocating the ride at Michigan's Adventure (sorry to anyone there expecting a new coaster) though.

Drachen Fire rebuilt as a B&M Wing Coaster...Complete with a keyhole element through the cutback and the diving corkscrew in place. Der Drache Kehrt or The Dragon Returns.....

I would rather see it with floorless trains. Those would allow for a closer from the original layout.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm thoroughly impressed by how long these machines last compared to other companies. But does anybody feel that one of B&M's latest coasters would be the first to bite the dust before the much older ones? Or are we still sticking with Vortex? Personally, I can see Vortex getting relocated before it drops.

I have a strong feeling it will be Vortex as well. In both of my visits to Great America, it was a walk-on basically all day even though the other coasters had at least 30 minute waits. I could see Cedar Fair relocating the ride at Michigan's Adventure (sorry to anyone there expecting a new coaster) though.

If there is one thing that recent history has taught us is that taking an old ride and making it new again has proved to be successful. Let's see what the reaction to Mantis is, and now that B&M is willing to add a launch component, how about taking some of those shorter stand-ups at CGA and Carowinds, adding floorless trains, and then extending the track length by adding a launch section with new elements?

Aha! See! Now that adds some more fuel to the speculation fire, doesn't it?

If there is one thing that recent history has taught us is that taking an old ride and making it new again has proved to be successful. Let's see what the reaction to Mantis is, and now that B&M is willing to add a launch component, how about taking some of those shorter stand-ups at CGA and Carowinds, adding floorless trains, and then extending the track length by adding a launch section with new elements?

How many barrel rolls is it going to have?

^I agree with this. An extended layout may seem like a bit of a stretch, but nothing impossible. And with B&M going more "outside of the box" recently this is a legitimate possibility. Also, B&M coasters are known for their reliability (the upkeep of the ride is fairly low, it's a low-tech B&M) so I don't see why Vortex would get the boot (even if the ridership is low) unless CGA wants to replace it with something they find "better".

Now that B&M is offering sit down trains for their stand up coasters, if Rougarou goes well, I think Carowinds' and CGA's Vortex and Apocalypse will get those transformations. Not sure about if Scorcher is a smooth and enjoyable one but Riddler's Revenge is fine as it is now.

But I prefer remove CGA and Carowinds' Vortex and put Mega-Lites at their spots.

Now that B&M is offering sit down trains for their stand up coasters, if Rougarou goes well, I think Carowinds' and CGA's Vortex and Apocalypse will get those transformations.

I could see this too... they're very small for floorless coasters but if the ride experience is improved and popularity increases for Mantis / Rougarou I could see them doing the same things with these coasters either in their current locations or moving them to new parks and adding new trains. Moving either coaster to a park like Michigans Adventure and putting new trains on it would probably be a great move as the park would get a high quality coaster with a minimal investment.

He knows something we dont!!!! lol I kid.

I agree though. The addition of floorless trains absolutely changes the game. If it makes the rides more re-ridable and the rides become more popular as a result, I dont see any of those rides going any where in the near future.

That brings us back to Led Zepplin being the first to get turned into scrap!

Now that B&M is offering sit down trains for their stand up coasters, if Rougarou goes well, I think Carowinds' and CGA's Vortex and Apocalypse will get those transformations. Not sure about if Scorcher is a smooth and enjoyable one but Riddler's Revenge is fine as it is now.

But I prefer remove CGA and Carowinds' Vortex and put Mega-Lites at their spots.

Georgia Scorcher is smooth as glass! Sit down trains would be interesting on Apocalypse, since the theme is somewhat based around the standing trains. Of course, SFA would probably leave all of the references to the standing!

I think it with be either one of the Vortexes at California's Great America or Carowinds because I've never heard anything good about either of those rides. Plus, they are some of B&M's oldest coasters. However, since they are only 23 and 22 years old respectively, it will probably be at least another decade or so before they head to the junkyard.

Or, perhaps those coasters could possibly go the Mantis-Rougarou route and get new floorless trains.

I would rather see it with floorless trains. Those would allow for a closer from the original layout.

I would rather see it not rebuilt because that was over 22 years ago and it didn't work.

I would rather see it not rebuilt because that was over 22 years ago and it didn't work.

Frankly I'd like to see B&M make a traditional sit down coaster with a similar layout to Drachen Fire!