TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

First Defunct B&M?

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd have to agree with those who mentioned Vortex at CGA - I rode it way back in 99' and was pretty awful then. I can't imagine how much worse it's gotten in the years since then.

Of all the B&M types, I'd say one of the stand-ups (if not Vortex) over all would be the best candidates to either be scrapped or sold to a park outside of the US (but of course, if sold to another park it isn't really defunct). However, that might be a while, because while the stand-up is clearly no longer in fashion for enthusiasts, it still draws in the GP (as in the scrap iron re-location to SFA).

As for Time Machine/Led Zeppelin, that would depend on how long it sits and how much (or how little) maintenance it gets as to whether it would be scrapped or sold. It would be a real shame to see it scraped (I didn't ride it and apparently it wasn't that great) simply because it saw so little action. In other words, it would be like someone buying a brand new car and only driving it a couple thousand miles, and then letting it sit and rust and fall apart. Considering the apparent long life span and reliability of a B&M coaster, I would think that TM's "low mileage" would make it worth even more on the used coaster market (that is, if the park owners ever decide to sell it).

I can't see the Incredible Hulk leaving but I can see some major work being done on it because of its condition now. It is so rough and not very rideable, I could see B&M giving it harnesses like GateKeeper. I really don't like those harnesses but the Hulk hurts at certain parts. And I still ride it like 5x in a row if I can but it would be nice to get rid of the head banging on the ride. I can see a B&M stand up being scraped soon because they do make your legs feel like jello...

Of all the B&M types, I'd say one of the stand-ups (if not Vortex) over all would be the best candidates to either be scrapped or sold to a park outside of the US (but of course, if sold to another park it isn't really defunct). However, that might be a while, because while the stand-up is clearly no longer in fashion for enthusiasts, it still draws in the GP (as in the scrap iron re-location to SFA).

I think as far as the standups go - most of the ones I've ridden are decent enough designs, it's more that the restraints make for an uncomfortable ride. Perhaps new trains with a vest-style OTSR rather than the current version would make them more rideable?

I can't see CGA's Vortex heading anywhere soon. That park only has a handful of coasters anyway, and it's definitely not the worst one.

I think as far as the standups go - most of the ones I've ridden are decent enough designs, it's more that the restraints make for an uncomfortable ride. Perhaps new trains with a vest-style OTSR rather than the current version would make them more rideable?

I can't see CGA's Vortex heading anywhere soon. That park only has a handful of coasters anyway, and it's definitely not the worst one.

It's still a little better than SLCs I think. It was running pretty crappy this summer as did Kong which both gave me a Kongcussion!

I can't see the Incredible Hulk leaving but I can see some major work being done on it because of its condition now. It is so rough and not very rideable, I could see B&M giving it harnesses like GateKeeper. I really don't like those harnesses but the Hulk hurts at certain parts. And I still ride it like 5x in a row if I can but it would be nice to get rid of the head banging on the ride. I can see a B&M stand up being scraped soon because they do make your legs feel like jello...

Hulk is a ride that some days isn't at its' highest potential, but I've never had a "rough" ride on it. I personally think it will be another 6-8 years before one of them leaves, and I'm betting it will be one of the stand ups.

I would not, and hope to not see Kumba, of all coasters, leaving the soonest. I'd gamble any B&M that's been relocated at least once before choosing a ride that's owned by a park with a fairly good lineup of other permanent B&M's.

My biggest guess would also be on Freestyle's Time Machine/Led Zep coaster. As for stand-ups, my last rides on Georgia Scorcher (2011), Riddler's Revenge (2010), and Chang (2009) were amazing, but riding Mantis this year put an immense amount of pain in my legs during it. This leaves me confused.

I Wonder if ageing coasters can have track parts repaired / replaced. Has every coaster a programmed "death" ? i hope not, and what gives me hope is the state Walibi's shuttle loop was in, before they decided to refurbish it. There are very old steelies still around so I'd guess B&M's are still here to stay for a bit. I really DREAD the day they'd remove my baby Dragon Khan. It's probably not for tomorrow but if they decide to dismantle it one day, I'll really be sad and in mourning for an undetermined duration... It was my first B&M ever and NEVER have I found a better one so far. Ruling my chart since 95. I'd also say one of the oldest stand ups as they tend to be rattly, but maybe this can be addressed just by changing the Rolling stock ?

Considering the first Vekoma to be defunct was Corkscrew at Alton Towers

What??? That's not true at all!!! I know that Walibi Belgium's Vekoma Corkscrew was removed at least 2 years before Alton Towers' and I know there must be others...

Whoops that actually the one I meant, I remember seeing the pictures of that one when it was being removed with the pieces being ripped apart.

• 11 months later...

To quote something that I posted on another thread regarding a certain B&M stand up coaster that's about to be "squashed"!

Could Mantis be the first defunct B&M coaster ever!?

If Cedar Point decides to relocate Mantis to the scrapyard, then it would be the first defunct B&M coaster!

But I wonder what was the first defunct Arrow coaster?