TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

First Defunct B&M?

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's an interesting question... Obviously B&M makes some pretty awesome coasters, so becoming defunct has never been an issue for them...

If I picked one, I'd say one of the BATMAN: THE RIDE CLONES

This is mainly because:

- They are quite old

- There are 10 clones (6 by the same name) so removing one wouldn't be too much of a loss

- The SFMM one I rode was a little rough by B&M standards

Having said that I'd like to see them stay, as they are really awesome roller coasters!

I rode Batman at SFMM a few weeks ago and it was as smooth as the day it opened. Certainly smoother than Scream or Riddlers Revenge.

I have to agree with everybody else. Led Zep or one of the Vortex's will be first. Hopefully Led Zep will see the light of day again and it will be one of those awful stand ups.

That's an interesting question... Obviously B&M makes some pretty awesome coasters, so becoming defunct has never been an issue for them...

If I picked one, I'd say one of the BATMAN: THE RIDE CLONES

This is mainly because:

- They are quite old

- There are 10 clones (6 by the same name) so removing one wouldn't be too much of a loss

- The SFMM one I rode was a little rough by B&M standards

Having said that I'd like to see them stay, as they are really awesome roller coasters!

I rode Batman at SFMM a few weeks ago and it was as smooth as the day it opened. Certainly smoother than Scream or Riddlers Revenge.

I have to agree with everybody else. Led Zep or one of the Vortex's will be first. Hopefully Led Zep will see the light of day again and it will be one of those awful stand ups.

Fair enough. I just got a little headbanging going through the wing-overs. That was late November last year...

But still, it beats Vekoma SLCs!

Has anyone rember end the other B&Ms that we could see leaving? This sound s crazy but maybe DD at IOA because they no longer dull. There is no use for two of them there. How about Kumba? It's starting to get very rusty and is way to loud. But God forbid the removal of Kumba and its beauty!!!

Kumba's name means "roar." The sound is very much deliberate. And it's still one of the best coasters -anywhere-.

^^

And no doubt the most intense B&M coaster I've ever been on. I think I'm with the majority of the group on this one.......either one of the older stand up B&M coasters that are left out there or Led Zep. Why they haven't sold off Led Zep to recoup some of the monetary losses for the park is beyond me. There are plenty of parks that would be lucky to get that B&M for their park.

CGA lost coasters when Cedar Fair was considering selling the park, or the ride was becoming obsolete and expensive to maintain. B&M parts are still fully available and vortex still get high ridership. The likelihood of a B&M being removed because it gave coaster enthusiasts a headache is probably not going to happen. I think Led Zeppelin is the most likely since no one has touched it for so long now.

Was Stealth really removed because it was obsolete or because Cedar Point was liquidating? That's news to me. Expensive or not, Stealth was CGA's flagship coaster at time of removal. As profitable as the water park may be in comparison, it still ranks amongst the most surprising coaster removals.

^ Stealth (as well as Greezed Lightning) was removed by Paramount. Perhaps part of a ride relocation program, or perhaps they were themselves thinking about liquidating the park. Or perhaps they just wanted a waterpark.

^^ I think Paramount removed Stealth because it was a maintenance nightmare and had problems that couldn't really be fixed without taking it apart (Similar to the GIBs). Also Carowinds did need a new ride.

If I'd I had to guess, the first B&M to go away would either be Time Machine at Freestyle Amusement Park because its been SBNO for 4 years and I'm pretty sure the tropical South Carolina weather hasn't been too nice to the steel. Another possibility is Vortex at CGA due to it not being painted for what seems like forever.

Even though I've responded in this thread, I actually have to be honest, I don't really "get" the point of some of the responses. Kumba and Dueling Dragons? Really??? Some people think those might be going?

You guys do realize there are still Arrow coasters from the 1950s, 60s and 70s operating, right? And many, many Schwarzkopfs from the 70s and 80s operating. So even the earliest B&M has like 20 - 30 years on most of them!

I can't see any B&Ms going anytime soon.

Vortex at Carrowinds?

It seems like everyone hates stand ups and when I rode this it was barely maintained. It's also one of B&M's oldest rides and is located in a prime position in the park for redevelopment.

-chris "have any 21 year old intamin full size coasters been scrapped yet? " con

Won't happen, but I'd like to see Iron Wolf/Apocalypse melted into a pile of metallic sludge just purely for the pain and suffering it caused on the one ride I had on it.

I can't see logically any B & M getting scrapped, but as others have already said, you've got to wonder what will happen to the lawn ornament at Myrtle Beach, is there a point where it will lapse into a state where it can't be relocated? All the sit down B & M loopers are awesome (Kumba etc), except Led Time Machine, what happened? I guess that whole park was ill-conceived.

I would say Time Machine is the only candidate B&M for becoming permantly defunct in the next five years. I don't know what shape it is in, but the park has been closed since 2009 and if the ride has just been sitting there I'd give it at most three more years before it is no longer worth salvaging.

If we're talking about ten or more years down the road, then any of the old stand-ups (Apocalypse and the Vortex twins) could be potentially up for retirement. Although it's the newest, I would guess Carowind's stand-up would be the first to be retired just because that park has more coasters than California's Great America and Six Flags America, as well as having two other B&M rides. Either way, I'm guessing any B&M that is currently operating will still be operating in 2020, so I wouldn't expect any to disappear in the near future. Their coasters are very durable rides, and probably 50% of them still remain in the top tier of all roller coasters worldwide.

I was actually pretty surprised Orochi got relocated, but I think it's pretty safe in its current location. Even if Walygator suddenly goes under (not likely), I think a great invert like it has a shot at another relocation. (Just somebody paint the dang thing).

I've seen Led Zeppelin test within the last year when I was driving in that area of Myrtle Beach one evening, but who knows what condition it's actually in. I remember Geauga Lake staff commented about how bad Six Flags left X-Flight for them. Hopefully Hard Rock/FSMP has taken better care of LZ, it's a beautiful coaster with a good first drop and decent pacing. Nothing that special, but perfect for a small park.

Here are my wild guesses for the first defunct B&M coaster

.Led Zepplin/Time Machine, if it doesn't get a new lease on life at another park

.Kumba, that's was B&M first sit down coaster

.one or both of the Dueling Dragon/Dragon Challenge coasters, because with the point of having a dueling coaster without both coasters running at the same time!?

. Vortex (CGA), Cedar Fair has been notorious for getting rid of coasters at CGA!

.Batman: The Ride (SFMM), most likely that SFMM would just sell the ride to a non-Six Flags park.

.Mantis (Cedar Point)

.Incredible Hulk (IOA), If Universal decides to dump Marvel Comics, odd are this ride would be scrap!

Won't happen, but I'd like to see Iron Wolf/Apocalypse melted into a pile of metallic sludge just purely for the pain and suffering it caused on the one ride I had on it.

Funny story. I actually rode Iron Wolf in it's last year at SFGAdv and Apocalypse in it's first year at SFA even though neither is at my home park. Not sure what they did to it but it was a LOT better at SFA and actually rideable. I had heard they were getting new trains but I'm not sure if that was ever the case. The paint job looked great and it was actually nicely themed.

On the flip side, it's still a Stand-Up coaster and there really aren't many of those I actually "enjoy" other than GA Scorcher. I honestly wouldn't be sad if any stand-up coaster bit the dust. The only ones I haven't ridden are Mantis and Vortex (Carowinds).

My guess is either Time Machine or one of the old B&M Stand-Ups. I think Time Machine should be saved sometime soon, but if it continues to be SBNO, it will eventually be beyond repair. Vortex at Carowinds sits on great real estate for the park, and CGA's Vortex has a bad reputation.

Here are my wild guesses for the first defunct B&M coaster

.Led Zepplin/Time Machine, if it doesn't get a new lease on life at another park

.Kumba, that's was B&M first sit down coaster

.one or both of the Dueling Dragon/Dragon Challenge coasters, because with the point of having a dueling coaster without both coasters running at the same time!?

. Vortex (CGA), Cedar Fair has been notorious for getting rid of coasters at CGA!

.Batman: The Ride (SFMM), most likely that SFMM would just sell the ride to a non-Six Flags park.

.Mantis (Cedar Point)

.Incredible Hulk (IOA), If Universal decides to dump Marvel Comics, odd are this ride would be scrap!

Just because Kumba is B&M's first sit down coaster doesn't mean that it is a candidate for the first defunct B&M. I personally don't see Kumba being removed anytime soon as it's still in good condition and a popular attraction. I also have a hard time believing Dragon Challenge could go anytime soon. And if Universal decides to retheme Marvel (which I'm confident will not be anytime soon, as Marvel characters still bring in money for Universal), it would make much more sense to retheme Hulk than to scrap it.

Also, I personally think the older B&M Stand-Ups like the Vortex clones will be gone before Mantis.

^That's not going to happen. Not only are they still incredibly popular meaning there wouldn't be a need to 'scrap' them, there would also be no reason to scrap just one side and sell the other to another park. The scenario you're stating would have very little likelihood of ever happening. Just because they no longer duel doesn't mean they're suddenly worthless.

Same with Incredible Hulk. Immensely popular, still a really good ride, and not incapable of being rethemed. It's not like the ride's layout is embedded within the story of the Hulk. It could just as easily be themed to anything else if the park decided to drop the Marvel theming, which in and of itself is also unlikely. There isn't any reason for them too currently.

The only ride you've listed that really makes any sense is Vortex. Mantis isn't the most popular ride at Cedar Point, but it still gets a good sized line when it's crowded and is still one of those rides that the general public 'brave' to ride. Standing up might be seen as gimicky to some of us, but it is still intimidating to the general public and offers a unique experience. Cedar Point isn't in the market of removing relatively young rides and I don't think they're going to start with Mantis.

I think one of the Vortex clones and Mantis are tied for the first "scrapped" B&M coaster! As for the "Dueling" Dragons coaster I think that Universal would scrap one "dragon" and sell the other one to another park!

Good luck finding a new lift hill support structure for the other Dragon.